NEWS Broncos captain Darius Boyd says he’ll quit NRL if hamstring issues continue

Can't Boyd just be rested until he is 100% or closer to 100%? - even it if takes 6-8 weeks. Having him out there going 70% is not beneficial to the team imo.

That is a bit of a problem when there is no "100%" for Boyd anymore. At most his new ceiling is 80%. An 100% fit Darius Boyd is able to run the ball back with some vigor or attack with plenty of energy like he did when he snatched that intercept off SKD in 2015 to send us to the GF. Do you see 2018 Boyd doing that even if his hamstrings were fine?

That is a bit of a problem when there is no "100%" for Boyd anymore. At most his new ceiling is 80%. An 100% fit Darius Boyd is able to run the ball back with some vigor or attack with plenty of energy like he did when he snatched that intercept off SKD in 2015 to send us to the GF. Do you see 2018 Boyd doing that even if his hamstrings were fine?

Yeah this is the problem isn't it. At his best, he was very, very good but never at a Slater / Inglis level. He was great for what our team needed though. The problem for someone like Boyd though is that when your 100% is about as good as anyone else's 100%, maybe slightly better than most, when you can only hit 80% at best thereafter, you can barely compete, let alone add something to a team anymore. When you are captain as well, it makes the situation just that little bit worse when your attitude tends to match your mood and present ability.

Can't Boyd just be rested until he is 100% or closer to 100%? - even it if takes 6-8 weeks. Having him out there going 70% is not beneficial to the team imo.

Yeah that baffles me. We had this problem in 2015 when he did his ankle. Kahu's jaw hasn't helped matters this year and Lachlan Maranta has moved on to other opportunities.

Having our captain out there playing busted is of no good to anyone.

Who is our vice-captain? Thaiday? Good lord....

Yeah that baffles me. We had this problem in 2015 when he did his ankle. Kahu's jaw hasn't helped matters this year and Lachlan Maranta has moved on to other opportunities.

Having our captain out there playing busted is of no good to anyone.

Who is our vice-captain? Thaiday? Good lord....

According to him he's not busted.

“But they (hamstrings) are really good at the moment. The last two games, in particular, I haven’t really worried about them at all. They’ve been not a focus and I’ve been able to focus on the game, which I’m really happy about.”

Sauce - http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/da...y/news-story/5ddc80e873d13f33d47544f84f47b630

Boyd’s best attributes were catching passes from Inglis, executing a sweep play better than any current FB & he used to do a great job organising our defence.

The bloke has never been tough or ran the ball back hard, whys anyone asking for that now?

We hardly use the sweep play atm (when we do the timing is out) and the defensive attitude of the team is lacklustre for now. Outside the sweep play and actually becoming a captain the guys want to play for, I don’t see him as an important cog to the team for the next 3 years.

I don't buy that Boyd isn't worried about the hamstrings.

You can see in his runs that there is some concern there. He won't stretch out the legs.

Boyd’s best attributes were catching passes from Inglis, executing a sweep play better than any current FB & he used to do a great job organising our defence.

The bloke has never been tough or ran the ball back hard, whys anyone asking for that now?

We hardly use the sweep play atm (when we do the timing is out) and the defensive attitude of the team is lacklustre for now. Outside the sweep play and actually becoming a captain the guys want to play for, I don’t see him as an important cog to the team for the next 3 years.

No one executed that sweep play as well as K Hunt did. Man, imagine someone who could do that paired with Slater's speed and positioning. Try every time.

Yeah this is the problem isn't it. At his best, he was very, very good but never at a Slater / Inglis level. He was great for what our team needed though. The problem for someone like Boyd though is that when your 100% is about as good as anyone else's 100%, maybe slightly better than most, when you can only hit 80% at best thereafter, you can barely compete, let alone add something to a team anymore. When you are captain as well, it makes the situation just that little bit worse when your attitude tends to match your mood and present ability.

Agree with if at 80% isn’t at immortal level. Even as Lockyer slowed he was still invaluable for his leadership and other skills. It’s not insult to Boyd very few players can be good enough once a major injury limiting.

Disagree with Boyd was what team needed though to begin with. He was a completely superfluous buy to reunite with daddy. Fullback - we already bought Milf and are still trying to Ben Barber him. Cost us retention of Taylor and likely Hunt by domino effect (Hunt would have been fine as a 5/8 he just overcooked himself with pressure of being a half that he isn’t). We certainly didn’t need a player who would upset team cohesion by coach favouritism. And captain wise had Hodgo and then got in the way of better options developing.

Boyd is a very good player but has set us back a premiership window (I appreciate would have been different if won in 2015 but didn’t that’s the risk u take with gambles not paying off).

I think there is some right rubbish on here about Boyd. I think his lack of form since his hamstring injuries is fair to criticise him with, but before that he was excellent for us. People are quick to forget how good he has been for us.

He may never get back to where he was, and his contract may be a little over the top in terms of how many years he got, but I think people are way off when they talk about his attitude. He never hides ( although it's fair to say since his Injuries he does seem to be protecting himself a little more ) and I think we look a worse side defensively with him out. Like it or not, he is still our best fullback.

Reading Boyd’s article that his hamstrings are fine in last two rounds and banished thought of early retirement! If this is all true and in context guy is delusional!

Admire and congrats for dealing with demons but blind Freddy can see he isn’t moving well at all and is refusing to really stretch out, can’t turn well and is struggling to get into position. And complete reversal after saying he was prepared to retire if not up to it.

Hodges and Locky both knew limit’s of their bodies and found ways to contribute and work around it. Yeah they occasionally got caught out but they were smart enough to know it and were good enough to be worth it.

You cannot hide a fullback with dodgy legs and clueless mindset. Lets see how goes this weekend but he has made it clear he has no excuses anymore.

How was that titans try that got disallowed because they said Isaako was taken out and Boyd just lets the dude score, waving his arms at the ref instead of trying to get the loose ball.

How was that titans try that got disallowed because they said Isaako was taken out and Boyd just lets the dude score, waving his arms at the ref instead of trying to get the loose ball.

That's our Boyd.

I think there is some right rubbish on here about Boyd. I think his lack of form since his hamstring injuries is fair to criticise him with, but before that he was excellent for us. People are quick to forget how good he has been for us.

He may never get back to where he was, and his contract may be a little over the top in terms of how many years he got, but I think people are way off when they talk about his attitude. He never hides ( although it's fair to say since his Injuries he does seem to be protecting himself a little more ) and I think we look a worse side defensively with him out. Like it or not, he is still our best fullback.

No one denied that Boyd was excellent for us. I disagree that he does a lot of work still, he barely talks to them now days, back in the day, off camera, he was constantly barking orders, motivating people, talking to players who bugger up, now days, he's constantly out of position, caught out, slow, and runs like a fairy.

No one denied that Boyd was excellent for us. I disagree that he does a lot of work still, he barely talks to them now days, back in the day, off camera, he was constantly barking orders, motivating people, talking to players who bugger up, now days, he's constantly out of position, caught out, slow, and runs like a fairy.
Great summary!

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Mick_Hancock
  • RolledOates
  • Jedhead
  • theshed
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.