Broncos cleared

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
From news.com.au/couriermail

Police say Broncos won't be charged over sex assault claim

BREAKING: THREE Brisbane Broncos players who were the subject of sexual assault allegations will not be charged.

Police announced today that there was insufficent evidence to charge the players.

A footballer, who was also investigated for illicit drug use, will also not be charged because of insufficient evidence, police say.

The charges related to an incident in a Valley nightclub in early September.

Police investigating the case handed a brief of evidence to leading barrister Tim Carmody for review.

More to come.

4BC has stated Hunt, Thaiday and Boyd will appear on Nine news at 6pm.

mick! said:
Police say Broncos won't be charged over sex assault claim
Ok, this is good news and I'm sure a huge relief for the 3 players. Lets put this in the past now and get on with rebuilding the team for 2009!

I hope the guys have learnt a valuable lesson from this and become great role models now on and off the field. Can't wait to hear what they have to say on the news tonight, should be interesting.

Like Hitman, I can only hope that some good can come out of this whole sorry situation.

Fingers crossed that not only the players involved here, but EVERYONE in the game just pulls their farking heads in and grows up just a little bit. A little bit of caution can go a long, long way in this day and age, and you don't have to sacrifice a good time while also being cautious and responsible. Hope this is the last that we hear of this sort of behaviour.

Although it was expected, this result is great news for the club and all parties involved with the Broncos whose reputations have been put at risk.

Hunt and Thaiday, however, may have a long way to go before they'll regain any respect from more than a few people i'd imagine. At least that's how I feel. Hopefully they'll pull their heads in from now on and become better people from it. They certainly owe it to the club.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/qu ... 59299.html

Police say there is insufficient evidence to charge three Broncos players investigated over the alleged sexual assault of a woman at an inner-city nightclub.

However, the alleged incident has still hit Karmichael Hunt, Darius Boyd and Sam Thaiday in the hip pocket, with Broncos CEO Bruno Cullen today announcing each player would cop a $20,000 fine.

Hunt and Thaiday will also not be permitted to take up lucrative sponsorship deals worth $40,000. Boyd left the club for St George Illawarra at the end of the 2008 NRL season.

The players were questioned by police after receiving a complaint from a 24-year-old woman, who had been with the players at the Alhambra Lounge in the Fortitude Valley on September 13 just after 8pm.

Broncos said:
The Brisbane Broncos have today been advised that no action will be
taken against any player in relation to the alleged incident on the night of
September 13, 2008.
As previously stated, the club’s internal investigation team has been cooperating
with the Queensland Police on the matter while conducting
their own inquiry.
The Board and senior management have met several times to discuss the
issue and consider possible disciplinary action against the players
involved.
As a result, it has been judged that the parties have breached the club’s
code of conduct as well as the NRL player’s contract, including damaging
the reputation of the game and bringing the club into disrepute.
This incident has had a huge negative reaction on sponsors, corporate
supporters, season members, Broncos’ administration, coaching and
playing staff, and fans of the game in general.
Therefore, the board has imposed the following fines and penalties;
• a $20,000 fine to each player
• notification that another serious breach of the code will result in
termination of the players’ contract with the club
• the players involved will be required to complete an accredited
counselling course conducted by an external and independent body
that covers all facets of acceptable social behaviour.
It is hoped these penalties send a clear message to all contracted players
that incidences such as these cannot and will not be tolerated.

Major JW Hochstetter said:
Although it was expected, this result is great news for the club and all parties involved with the Broncos whose reputations have been put at risk.

Hunt and Thaiday, however, may have a long way to go before they'll regain any respect from more than a few people i'd imagine. At least that's how I feel. Hopefully they'll pull their heads in from now on and become better people from it. They certainly owe it to the club.

Agreed, It's something they have to earn again and it will take sometime to say I'm disappointed in what has occured would be an understatement and we have a lot of work to rebuild the damage caused. I don't care what your status or position is in the club or the game you have a duty of care in representing your club and the game on and off the field. I'm not saying your not entitled to have a social life but reality must sink in about the public image you represent not only for yourself, but the club and the game, I just hope it sinks in across the board for the future.

Hammo said:
So can Sammy get a start in the semi this weekend?

No, because World Cup rules say you can't add players to your squad after the tournament has started. Besides, he's injured, getting his ankle fixed.

It was my way at having a passing shot at the ustralian selectors for blacklisting him. I mean, c'mon...Fitzgibbon, Perry???

yaaaay. now make hunt VC!

Coxy said:
Broncos said:
As a result, it has been judged that the parties have breached the club’s
code of conduct as well as the NRL player’s contract, including damaging
the reputation of the game and bringing the club into disrepute.

See the above pennywise. These players, while not guilty of anything legal, have brought the club and the game into disrepute. I think they can kiss captaincy aspirations good bye for a few years.

Did anyone see the interview with them on 9 news.

It was taped about a month ago.

I hope these blokes havent learned something from this. in the past the club has been very quick to sack players who have breached the code of conduct even in the absence of police charges. these guys are lucky they can still run out onto the ground next season in a broncos shirt.

Good to hear about this news. As everyone else has said I hope this gives the players at all clubs a good 'wake-up' call in regards to partying and the consumption of alcohol at any point during the season. The players just need to think about the repercussions of their activities before they go and do them, will save everyone a lot of hassel.

So,much ado about nothing. As far as this fan is concerned they have done absolutely nothing wrong....if anyone did anything wrong or brought disrepute upon the club it was Miss Hornblower. It was her malicious statement and false accusation that caused the problem...if she'd kept her mouth shut ( on both occasions ) the whole sorry mess would never have seen the light of day.

As I wrote at the time, nothing was ever going to come of it.The players should consider sueing her for the slanderous statements she made. Poor buggers , having to put up with standards no fan would expect of their own family members.

I don't care if the moralizers on this forum think they'd expect their brothers would or should act differently because I know the tune they sung would be totally at odds with their current lofty stance.Not for one minute would they allow the garbage sprouted here to be directed towards their brothers, no way, They'd attack the wowsers with alacrity. Say what you like, it'd be different if they were family. If you really think you would'nt, and would condemn your siblings with this venom then truly yours is a dreamworld.

Typical though, a woman whinges and blokes are instantly guilty until proven innocent...only one guilty party here and she clearly did'nt want to continue with it.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Fitzy
  • bert_lifts
  • Lostboy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.