Broncos cleared

COMPOUND FRACTURE said:
So,much ado about nothing. As far as this fan is concerned they have done absolutely nothing wrong....if anyone did anything wrong or brought disrepute upon the club it was Miss Hornblower. It was her malicious statement and false accusation that caused the problem...if she'd kept her mouth shut ( on both occasions ) the whole sorry mess would never have seen the light of day.

As I wrote at the time, nothing was ever going to come of it.The players should consider sueing her for the slanderous statements she made. Poor buggers , having to put up with standards no fan would expect of their own family members.

I don't care if the moralizers on this forum think they'd expect their brothers would or should act differently because I know the tune they sung would be totally at odds with their current lofty stance.Not for one minute would they allow the garbage sprouted here to be directed towards their brothers, no way, They'd attack the wowsers with alacrity. Say what you like, it'd be different if they were family. If you really think you would'nt, and would condemn your siblings with this venom then truly yours is a dreamworld.

Typical though, a woman whinges and blokes are instantly guilty until proven innocent...only one guilty party here and she clearly did'nt want to continue with it.

With regards to the actual allegations, CF, I agree with you on many points.

But that's not the problem.

The real problem is indeed the old cliche as to why the players placed themselves in such a position. Especially during a crucial time of the season and after all the the game has been through in previous years. By now you'd think that any professional footballer who is well aware that they hold a high public profile would know the consequences if they are caught out in a compromising situation, the fallout that would follow and the reputations they'd put at risk. If not, then they have had their heads in the sand for the past 4 years and if something goes wrong they really have no one else to blame bar themselves.

Yes, the female in question may or may not be an out and out trollop of the highest order for all we know and of course, the boys are entitled to a private life. But in this day and age, partaking in such actions of the three players in question in a public place is just plain dumb and simply asking for trouble. Nothing to do with morality or whether or not illegal activity took place and the potential of defamation against the players.

They failed to exercise simple common sense on a number of accounts and have paid the penalty. Deservedly so in my opinion.

Major JW Hochstetter said:
But in this day and age, partaking in such actions of the three players in question in a public place is just plain dumb and simply asking for trouble. Nothing to do with morality or whether or not illegal activity took place and the potential of defamation against the players.

Absolutely spot on here. When are people going to realise that just because your average Joe can get away with this sort of activity, that doesn't make it right for the high profile figure? When you're easily identifiable in the public eye, and especially when you're part of the most high profile sporting team in a one-team city, you have to friggen behave yourself!!

Basic question......why do you have to 'behave yourelf' ??..does playing a sport mean something special ??
does playing a sport mean you must be bound by some higher code of ethics, some plane upon which no other member of society is expected to exist ?? (exception...politicians.)

No doctor is censured for receiving a womans favours, no scientist..perhaps the legal fraternity may on occasion be held to such a light but why a common as muck footballer ??

When a little boy is first thrown a football is he advised that should he be useful at the game, he will be dutybound to behave differently from 99.999% of society...the penalty paid for having some ability ??

We have debated this on this forum before and incontrovertibly proven it's not the money they earn...nor is it their fame...rockstars and other entertainers can be equally as famous if not moreso yet with them sexual voracity is seen as a virtue !!,,so it's not fame or fortune that impels so many of you to accord the players this godlike status.

What it is is simple enough to define...you people equate sporting prowess with the human ideal. Such foolishness. The real and unpalatable truth for you is that we men like the idea that these sportsmen are so fortunate as to have this broad appeal to women and secretly crave the same adulation, denied in public but secretly held within.

Women like the power, its attractive and on another level 'proves' the mens vitality..their strong maleness.

The Broncos have huffed and puffed about the 'image' but it has not suffered one whit rather it continues, unhindered as a place of power, a place of viriity and success.

Let's be clear about this...no offence was committed. The real offence was the connection of the words 'rape' and 'forcibly' with a few players indulging in harmless sexual release. The media are the true villians here.

If you doubt my words, think Monica Lewinsky...no higher office in the World , no loftier standards expected yet his (Clintons ) popularity soared...and remains that way to this day. Women loved hm, men wanted to be him...that's what we humans are whether you people like it or not.

Forget shrugging it off with the childish observation...they're Americans.It's no different here.

It's not like I'm saying that footballers are the only blokes in the world for which behaviour like this isn't accepted. Say it was me who was out in my work uniform with the company's logo on it, and then the next day I am on the news going on a rampage through the streets of the Valley acting like a complete lunatic. If my bosses upstairs see it, I'm fired. If I'm wearing jeans and a shirt I bought from Jay Jay's, all I cop is a $75 public nuisance fine. But when I am in that uniform I am a reflection on that company. I know it sounds like a bad deal but that is just the way it goes.

Same goes in this situation. While these players weren't out in their Broncos shirts, they are easily identifiable in this city and have a responsibility to uphold when they are out on the drink. They can go out, have a few, blow thousands of dollars on the greyhounds, dance like a headless chook, that's fine. But there is a line that they cannot cross, that your average Joe can cross. Again, might sound like a bad deal, but that's the way it goes and it's the responsibility that comes with being a high profile personality in a relatively small city. Whether it be a Broncos player, Lions player, the Lord Mayor, a Brisbane City Councillor, a high profile Brisbane rock band, there are just some places in which you cannot go.

Forget this "ethical" and "legal" argument. It's irrelevant. As in this case, they have done nothing legally wrong and IMO nothing they have done is ethically wrong. What they have done is simply irresponsible. It's not a good reflection on the Broncos or Rugby League in general.

Also, forget how much they get paid. That's also irrelevant. And where in my previous post did I even mention money?

Jeb...None...repeat none of what I've written was directed at you. I direct my comments at any who believe a footballer, irrespective of the greatness of his club or the size of the ciy in which he plys his trade, should conform to some ridiculous code of behaviour.....

I believe in true equality...that is all people judged by the same standard. The footballer does not hold himself out as 'role-model' ,bastion of integrity or religious and moral icon.He simply plays for the love of thew game. The elevated status he is given is the publics shame. I don't expect him to be any different than anyone else. Repleat with faults and follibles.

A high profile rockband can and do as they like within the laws of this land and if indulging in the pleasures of the flesh would not attract a fraction of the scorn and derision heaped on these players. Strangely you Jeb (this is directed at you ) lump together two 'elected by their peers' personages wih two footballers...can you not see that they are entirely different groups.

Naturally I expect a representative of the people to attain and maintain a high standard but why on Earth would anyone expect that standard from a footballer???. He has achieved his position by dint of performance not by common consensus that he is the best servant and representative of the masses.

Before a reply is posted please consider this......
three doctors went out,drank too much and received a blowie in the toilets...now replace doctors with
lawyers,firemen,clerks,dentists,optomertrists,CEOs,bank-managers,accountants,gardeners,truck/bus/taxi/train drivers,mechanics etc etc....none of which was in uniform ,all of whom were in their own free time and all in the middle of their working year and each and everyone of them part of a much larger organization than the Broncos...what would be the response ???...you guessed it...bugger-all.

No, clever lot we are ..we reserve our lofty expectations for footballers be they league union afl or gayball. Does this not strike you Jeb as a trifle stupid if not outright dumb.. ???.

COMPOUND FRACTURE said:
Jeb...None...repeat none of what I've written was directed at you. I direct my comments at any who believe a footballer, irrespective of the greatness of his club or the size of the ciy in which he plys his trade, should conform to some ridiculous code of behaviour.....

I believe in true equality...that is all people judged by the same standard. The footballer does not hold himself out as 'role-model' ,bastion of integrity or religious and moral icon.He simply plays for the love of thew game. The elevated status he is given is the publics shame. I don't expect him to be any different than anyone else. Repleat with faults and follibles.

A high profile rockband can and do as they like within the laws of this land and if indulging in the pleasures of the flesh would not attract a fraction of the scorn and derision heaped on these players. Strangely you Jeb (this is directed at you ) lump together two 'elected by their peers' personages wih two footballers...can you not see that they are entirely different groups.

Naturally I expect a representative of the people to attain and maintain a high standard but why on Earth would anyone expect that standard from a footballer???. He has achieved his position by dint of performance not by common consensus that he is the best servant and representative of the masses.

three doctors went out,drank too much and received a blowie in the toilets...now replace doctors with
lawyers,firemen,clerks,dentists,optomertrists,CEOs,bank-managers,accountants,gardeners,truck/bus/taxi/train drivers,mechanics etc etc....none of which was in uniform ,all of whom were in their own free time and all in the middle of their working year and each and everyone of them part of a much larger organization than the Broncos...what would be the response ???...you guessed it...bugger-all.

No, clever lot we are ..we reserve our lofty expectations for footballers be they league union afl or gayball. Does this not strike you Jeb as a trifle stupid if not outright dumb.. ???.

To be honest mate, with myself, I'd look down on anyone who carries on like drunken f*ckwits while out at pubs or clubs.

I don't give a toss if they're a footballer on $500,000 a year or an apprentice tradesman on $25,000 a year... the fact of the matter is you should still be able to conduct yourself with some sort of responsibility and dignity while still out having fun. Getting legless, acting like you own the joint and putting yourself in DUMB situations shouldn't be something that an adult does. IMO.

But, Huge, you also can't discount the fact that, in one of the most important weeks of the season in a PHYSICALLY DEMANDING position, these guys are a little worse than your average lawyer or businessman who goes out for a big night on the p*ss. They're paid to do their job with their minds, and probably could still function the next week after a big weekend.

Footballers are paid the cash that they are to be in prime physical condition and fitness - something tells me 12 hours on the piss could kinda change that...

CF, that's fine, you can go live in your Nutley loving communist ideology where everyone can do what they like and not be judged. Meanwhile the Broncos will play in a professional sporting competition attracting millions of spectators, millions of dollars in sponsorship, millions of dollars in gate takings and millions of dollars in merchandise sales all of which can be severely damaged by poor behaviour by the players of the club.

In other words, they'll live in reality.

If you're happy to accept it, that's fine. You're just one pitiful little part of the community.

Major JW Hochstetter said:
Hunt and Thaiday, however, may have a long way to go before they'll regain any respect from more than a few people i'd imagine. At least that's how I feel. Hopefully they'll pull their heads in from now on and become better people from it. They certainly owe it to the club.

I'm definitely one of those people. Good to see them aknowledge their mistake, but it will be a long time before I comfortably support those two again, in or out of Broncos colours. A few months back I'd have been devastated if either left the club, but to be honest now I wouldn't care less if Hunt went to the Reds and Thaiday got better money elsewhere...

mick! said:
To be honest mate, with myself, I'd look down on anyone who carries on like drunken f*ckwits while out at pubs or clubs.

I don't give a toss if they're a footballer on $500,000 a year or an apprentice tradesman on $25,000 a year... the fact of the matter is you should still be able to conduct yourself with some sort of responsibility and dignity while still out having fun. Getting legless, acting like you own the joint and putting yourself in DUMB situations shouldn't be something that an adult does. IMO.

Very much agreed.

I am glad they are not going to be captains of the club, after doing something that stupid at such a pivotal time of the year they don't deserve it. There have been enough incidents both within the Broncos and the NRL for these guys to know they have standards to bare. They are supposed to be leaders and have shown they lack the maturity to lead properly off the field which is a key component to captaining a football club.

COMPOUND FRACTURE said:
Basic question......why do you have to 'behave yourelf' ??..does playing a sport mean something special ??
does playing a sport mean you must be bound by some higher code of ethics, some plane upon which no other member of society is expected to exist ?? (exception...politicians.)

No doctor is censured for receiving a womans favours, no scientist..perhaps the legal fraternity may on occasion be held to such a light but why a common as muck footballer ??

When a little boy is first thrown a football is he advised that should he be useful at the game, he will be dutybound to behave differently from 99.999% of society...the penalty paid for having some ability ??

We have debated this on this forum before and incontrovertibly proven it's not the money they earn...nor is it their fame...rockstars and other entertainers can be equally as famous if not moreso yet with them sexual voracity is seen as a virtue !!,,so it's not fame or fortune that impels so many of you to accord the players this godlike status.

What it is is simple enough to define...you people equate sporting prowess with the human ideal. Such foolishness. The real and unpalatable truth for you is that we men like the idea that these sportsmen are so fortunate as to have this broad appeal to women and secretly crave the same adulation, denied in public but secretly held within.

Women like the power, its attractive and on another level 'proves' the mens vitality..their strong maleness.

The Broncos have huffed and puffed about the 'image' but it has not suffered one whit rather it continues, unhindered as a place of power, a place of viriity and success.

Let's be clear about this...no offence was committed. The real offence was the connection of the words 'rape' and 'forcibly' with a few players indulging in harmless sexual release. The media are the true villians here.

If you doubt my words, think Monica Lewinsky...no higher office in the World , no loftier standards expected yet his (Clintons ) popularity soared...and remains that way to this day. Women loved hm, men wanted to be him...that's what we humans are whether you people like it or not.

Forget shrugging it off with the childish observation...they're Americans.It's no different here.
COMPOUND FRACTURE said:

This is probably two of the best posts ever written on this forum. It is definetly the best posts written since Alhambra-gate started. I guess that's what the whole debate boiled down to; our personal expectations on the social life of Broncos players. The Clinton example is a great one, not only that, he also lied in a sworn deposition. These guys were open to the club and all police inquiries.

Huge, this is your finest post.

P.S. Did anyone else hear on the News, apparently the alleged victim is distraught that the Broncos involved didn't mention her in their appearance last night. Hmmm.....

I'm glad this rubbish is over. Who cares what four people got up to in a dunny? If it was three plumbers in that loo then it never would have gone this far.

Retaining Hunt becomes even more difficult now as third party sponsorships were going to play a large part in it I've read.

Old Mate said:
Retaining Hunt becomes even more difficult now as third party sponsorships were going to play a large part in it I've read.

He'll get new ones as all will be forgotten fairly quickly once the off-season begins (ie World Farce is over).

And yes Coxy I agree but don't waste your energy [icon_wink

Hammo said:
P.S. Did anyone else hear on the News, apparently the alleged victim is distraught that the Broncos involved didn't mention her in their appearance last night. Hmmm.....

[icon_lol1. Couldn't help but laugh when people were getting outraged about this.

It's like getting found not guilty of shooting someone, and then apologising for shooting them.

They did nothing wrong, therefore they have nothing to apologise to her for. Pretty clear.

Good to get it all out of the way. Now its up to them to win back everyones respect.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • broncotville
  • LittleDavey
  • Foordy
  • Jedhead
  • Broncorob
  • Wendall Taylor
  • HarryAllan7
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Sproj
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Midean
  • Justwin
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Aldo
  • Manofoneway
  • Santa
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.