Broncos could struggle to keep Gillett

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
We would all rather keep Gillett of course. We're talking worst case scenario where we need to pay a significant portion of salary cap to keep him that we need to think bigger picture. That doesn't mean people are happy to see him go and don't want to put up a fight to keep him, completely the opposite.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Gillett is probably in the top 3 backrowers world wide. People really underestimate how important he is in the team, both in defense and attack!

It stands to reason his management (and himself) are looking to reward that with the corresponding salary, so I hope we can come to an agreement that will suit everyone.

BroncosAlways

BroncosAlways

NRL Captain
Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
See, I'd rather keep the guy we know performs, rather than keep 3 kids who will probably turn out to be shit in NRL, just like so many of those talked up do.

This is true, however if we always lived by that we never would of gotten Milf.

BroncosAlways

BroncosAlways

NRL Captain
Contributor
Jun 20, 2013

We signed Milf on his potential and how much he was talked up did we not?
It's not like he was Mr. Reliable back then, there's no reason one of these kids could be as good if not better

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
It's not like he was Mr. Reliable back then, there's no reason one of these kids could be as good if not better

Until he was on the outer, he was keeping the Raiders above water.

The Broncos halves situation wasn't crash hot either.

The only thing Norman, Wal and Prince proved is that the Broncos HAD to look elsewhere.

S

sus

QCup Player
Aug 20, 2013
have to agree sproj, its all hypotheticals right? (except for danny..)

the only reason its even being discussed is his name's just on the list of expiring contracts and his manager would be a deadshit not to talk it up to the media just a bit

considering the hardball WB has played with thaiday and i figure will do with CP13 id be a tad suprised if gillett wasnt prepared to sacrifice just a fraction of a contract (which he'd no doubt make up for with 3PCs, and btw wouldnt be worth as much anyways in a market like sydney if youre a canetoad..), on the basis that in a year or 2 he'd be headlining our act with moose (if not necessarily on quite a commensurate contract dollar figure)

then again coming so close to GF glory can do funny things, ive got no inside info here but i couldnt blame anyone from wanting a seachange after last year, esp if they go 1 better this year

oh FWIW agree with sproj again.. harder to mould a centre than a backrower.. oates to centre eventually for mine, he'd make a decent 2R too but doubt he'd cope physically for too long. plenty of talent covering IF gillett does do the pay-me shuffle

austin71

austin71

NRL Player
Apr 21, 2013
I think Gillett would make a good lock after Parker retires. Be nice to have some sizeable second rowers like Caleb Timu. See how well it works for Canberra with Papali on the edges...

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
BP already answered, but:

- None of the kids coming up are anywhere near the certainty Milford was (remember, he was already killing it in FG).
- None of the 5/8's we tried were even close to top rank (Norman, Prince, Hoffman! LOLZ), so we actually gravely needed someone to fill the position at the time we got Milford. That is certainly not the case with Gillett.
- Getting promising players is not an excuse to get rid of your best.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
It really would surprise me if Gillett signed with a Sydney team. I think he stays at the Broncos.

L

lionred

NYC Player
Feb 9, 2015
All players who go on to be our favourites were once kids who somebody took a gamble on. They have the talent already, it is up to the coaches and clubs to get the best out of them. Some are ready to go straight away and some need more training. Wayne is the right man to sort all that out.

Mitch06

Mitch06

NRL Player
Jan 23, 2014
I said early last year that I didn't think Glenn had a long-term future at our club, I hope he sticks around - he's always done a job for us.

Clintos

Clintos

State of Origin Rep
Apr 8, 2008
If we have to lose a backrower then I'd rather it be Glenn. Ideally we keep both and somehow convince Parker to take a pay cut for the good of the team (if he decides to go around again).

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
Titans would snap Glenn up in a heartbeat.

Unread

Active Now

• Justwin
  • pennywisealfie
  • broncoscope
  • BruiserMk1
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Cavalo
  • Hoof Hearted
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Alec
  • Bish
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.