Broncos could struggle to keep Gillett

Is Gillett off contract next season or this season?? I think him winning a Premiership changes whether or not he looks for the big payday IMO.

I don't know but Gillett just seems like a Brisbane/QLDer/Broncos boy through and through, I think reasonable money will keep him here. I also get the impression that Glenn is the same and both stay for less money, the lifestyle and the club. Which itself produces a problem for Wayne considering our backrower depth.

Just play another forward. I think the new interchange rules are going to eventually kill a backup hooker on the bench and force all hookers to go 80 minutes.
not necessarily. its just forcing utilities to be the ultimate utility whether it be playing hooker or in the halves to the second row or backline to cover injuries
teams will only go 4 man forward benches if they have suitable players to fill in for key positions if a key player were to go down (ie fullback, half)

I think the fact that Bennett has extended his contract might sway Gillett to do likewise.

I don't know but Gillett just seems like a Brisbane/QLDer/Broncos boy through and through, I think reasonable money will keep him here. I also get the impression that Glenn is the same and both stay for less money, the lifestyle and the club. Which itself produces a problem for Wayne considering our backrower depth.

He does now but I am sure he lived in and may have been born in NSW. He went for NSW and the Dragons as a kid I think. Interesting times ahead especially when you'll need to pay Milford big big $$

He does now but I am sure he lived in and may have been born in NSW. He went for NSW and the Dragons as a kid I think. Interesting times ahead especially when you'll need to pay Milford big big $$

Didn't he grow up on Bribie Island? I thought his dad was a dragons fan and that's why he was too when he was a kid.

Gillett was born in Macksville NSW and the family moved to Bribie when he was 3 years old.

I doubt he'd have much allegiance to the dark side.

I think the fact that Bennett has extended his contract might sway Gillett to do likewise.

Mightn't count for much when it comes to the lure of big dollars but I am reading Gillo as a Bronco through and through like McGuire, his life is settled up here with his family, his form has improved immeasurably under Bennett's superb coaching and the effect of that coaching cannot be underestimated on his performances last year and this year, and, I am hoping he has a close relationship with Bennett.

Gillett ought to be the first player signed for next year. He is the glue which keeps our right side together in defence and attack. Ball runner, ball player and brilliant defender. I'd take him over any other forward. For mine, he is that important to this side, at this point in time, regardless of any other young untested players coming through the ranks (who are not a patch on Gillett anyway atm).

Even though I'd love to see Oates in the centres, I doubt that will happen, and I can only imagine what a killer back row we would have with Gillett and Oates in 2017.

Last edited:
Dragons chasing Nikorima hard according to RLW Mole, view him as a replacement for Benji, with Widdop moving to Halfback.

Mightn't count for much when it comes to the lure of big dollars but I am reading Gillo as a Bronco through and through like McGuire, his life is settled up here with his family, his form has improved immeasurably under Bennett's superb coaching and the effect of that coaching cannot be underestimated on his performances last year and this year, and, I am hoping he has a close relationship with Bennett.

Gillett ought to be the first player signed for next year. He is the glue which keeps our right side together in defence and attack. Ball runner, ball player and brilliant defender. I'd take him over any other forward. For mine, he is that important to this side, at this point in time, regardless of any other young untested players coming through the ranks (who are not a patch on Gillett anyway atm).

Even though I'd love to see Oates in the centres, I doubt that will happen, and I can only imagine what a killer back row we would have with Gillett and Oates in 2017.

While I agree with everything else I'd have to say that 2017 would be three years too early for Oates to move into the back row. That is in my humble opinion. It just seems to me to be a waste of his skills and speed. There isn't the room there that he gets out wider and acting as an extra forward like he does presently would be sorely missed. I know his replacement would try to fulfill that role it I don't see anyone in the ranks who would be as efficient .

What's the big fucking rush to get Oates to the second row? Do you not like having a fucking tank on the wing who can run really fast and pretty much run over fullbacks at will?

This.

Dragons chasing Nikorima hard according to RLW Mole, view him as a replacement for Benji, with Widdop moving to Halfback.

And that would be a very good decision by the Dragons. He would complement Widdop very well in my opinion. Similar to the Milford-Hunt combo for us. The only disadvantage there is that all the other pieces surrounding that halves pairing are infinitely slower and less lethal than ours.

What's the big ****ing rush to get Oates to the second row? Do you not like having a ****ing tank on the wing who can run really fast and pretty much run over fullbacks at will?

Amen brother! :adore:.............He does a damn fine job on the wing..................just great to watch.

Gold Coast Titans to table offer for Broncos enforcer Matt Gillet

GOLD Coast coach Neil Henry has made Maroons enforcer Matt Gillett his prime recruitment target, declaring the Broncos hit-man could be a cornerstone of the Titans’ future.

Amid revelations the Dragons were keen on Gillett and Brisbane “supersub” Kodi Nikorima, Broncos coach Wayne Bennett has told the hard-hitting forward to stay at Red Hill.

But Henry revealed on Wednesday that the Titans were preparing to table an offer.

The Broncos are facing salary cap constraints in their bid to retain Gillett, who is in the final year of a deal worth up to $500,000 a season.

The Titans are expected to match Gillett’s Broncos contract in the hope of luring him to the rebuilding franchise ahead of circling Sydney clubs.

“They (Broncos) are saying they’re quite keen to keep him. We’re saying, if he’s available then we’d be interested in putting something together for him,” Henry said.

story-fni0cx12-912cd59b5a940753c3e4ca057e1aa385

“He’s a quality player. He wants to stay close to home. He’s the type of player you can build your pack around. He’d certainly complement what we’ve got as well.”

Gillett has 12 Origin appearances under his belt and the 27-year-old is arguably in the form of his career. He has at least four more years left in the NRL.

The Titans have been well serviced by a backrowers Chris McQueen, Zeb Taia and Greg Bird this season but Gillett could add more punch to the rotation.

The Titans fancy their chances of signing Gillett, who wants to stay in Queensland.Gillett will face the Dragons at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday night and Henry said he had been impressed by his early-season form.

“He’s been really good,” the Titans supremo said.

“He’s been consistent for a long time but I think he’s stepped it up this year and has been outstanding. It (backrow) is an area we’re looking at moving forward.”

Gillett is one of a host of big-name Broncos off-contract this year, along with Nikorima and skipper Corey Parker.

Bennett said he is confident of keeping Gillett and Nikorima, who is testing his value on the open market.

“I’ve told them both I would like them to stay,” he said. “If the Dragons want them, they won’t see the potential in just one weekend, I can tell you that.

“When you recruit, you are recruiting for more than one performance, you are looking for consistency over a period of time.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t/news-story/912cd59b5a940753c3e4ca057e1aa385

Last edited by a moderator:
Match his Broncos contract. Right, that will draw him away.

I think you're forgetting the big selling point of playing on the Titans, he gets to link up with Tyrone Roberts, Nathan Friend & William Zillman. 3 of the greatest players in the modern era.

I think you're forgetting the big selling point of playing on the Titans, he gets to link up with Tyrone Roberts, Nathan Friend & William Zillman. 3 of the greatest players in the modern era.

I did forget that. We might as well withdraw our offer, the war is already over.

Unread

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Locky's Left Boot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.