Broncos could struggle to keep Gillett

What makes you believe Oates favoured position is second row ? That may well be the case but I haven't seen Oates say that. Oates was put in second row by Griffin and he got bashed, was largely ineffective and sustained quite a deal of damage to his growing body.

"[The second row] is my preferred position but I've still got a lot to prove. I've got to get a lot fitter and stronger and mentality tough, so I think Wayne is pretty comfortable right now just chucking me wherever he wants at the moment.

"I just go out there and do my job and try not to let anyone down."

Corey Oates is Bennett's secret weapon - NRL.com

"[The second row] is my preferred position but I've still got a lot to prove. I've got to get a lot fitter and stronger and mentality tough, so I think Wayne is pretty comfortable right now just chucking me wherever he wants at the moment.

"I just go out there and do my job and try not to let anyone down."

Corey Oates is Bennett's secret weapon - NRL.com
Okay...that's the facts ! Like I'd written I hadn't seen Oates declare that but now that I have I know better in the future ! Thanks

Okay...that's the facts ! Like I'd written I hadn't seen Oates declare that but now that I have I know better in the future ! Thanks
Oates is just a great player, IMO he would be a very good second rower too. But, like you, I much prefer him on the wing. Who doesn't want a wrecking ball on the edges and with speed too!

Oates is just a great player, IMO he would be a very good second rower too. But, like you, I much prefer him on the wing. Who doesn't want a wrecking ball on the edges and with speed too!

Who needs Oates on the wing when we've got a back line of Boyd, Radradra, Inglis, Roberts, Kahu? :spy:

Who needs Oates on the wing when we've got a back line of Boyd, Radradra, Inglis, Roberts, Kahu? :spy:
Until I see Inglis and Radarlove in the Broncos colours I'll keep the big boy safe out on the wings. If he feels like coming in and bashing the ball up, well and good...he can be a tendy second rower !! I still think he's two years away from there.

Even if Radrara does come... Oates and Radrara as a wing pairing would certainly have me investing in Kleenex stock.

Even if Radrara does come... Oates and Radrara as a wing pairing would certainly have me investing in Kleenex stock.

Probably more information than I personally needed, but I understand the sentiment :-)

I just assume he'll be crying tears of joy. It's better that way.

[FONT=&quot]MATT Gillett plans to follow Corey Parker’s lead in rejecting lucrative rival offers to join Brisbane’s ranks of one-club wonders.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gillett is easily the highest profile forward off-contract in 2016 and despite attracting the attention of a host of clubs including Cronulla and the Gold Coast — the backrower will reject their overtures and ink a long term extension with the Broncos.[/FONT]
Foxsports.com.au [FONT=&quot]understands Gillett is closing in on signing a new deal which would tie him to the club for another three to four-years.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It’s a decision which sees him sacrifice around $200,000 a season with his new contract understood to be worth around $500,000 a year.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Having played 143 first grade games since joining Brisbane’s under 20s in 2008, such a lengthy commitment would tie the 27-year-old to the club for over a decade.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Maroons regular has been in career best form this year, rocketing his market value to around the $700,000 a season commanded by the game’s best big men.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That’s a huge increase from the $450,000 a season he is believed to be on this year.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But just as Parker turned down offers from Canterbury and the Storm, worth double his Broncos wage early in his career, Gillett is willing to sacrifice serious dollars to keep his young family in Brisbane and play out his days in the maroon and gold.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“That is the goal and it’s what a lot of players want to do,” Gillett said of becoming a one-club player at Red Hill.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Hopefully in the next few weeks that will be sorted out and that’s my preference.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“My priority is staying in Brisbane, that’s the goal and has been for a while.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I love the club and we’re getting there with just a few more things to be finalised.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“My manager has been handling that side of it and I think we’re getting pretty close.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brisbane has a proud history of hanging onto their brightest stars for the duration of their careers.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Darren Lockyer, Allan Langer, Shane Webcke, Steve Renouf, Michael Hancock and Andrew Gee headline a long list of Broncos who never strayed from the stable during careers that spanned at least 10 years.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After this week announcing his retirement at season’s end, Parker is set to join them with up to 350 NRL games across 16 seasons in the maroon and gold.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It’s an achievement that holds the 34-year-old in rare regard among his teammates, and Gillett admits Parker’s retirement will leave a hefty hole in the club’s senior ranks.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In paying tribute to Parker’s influence on his burgeoning career, Gillett expects to shoulder that leadership load along with the likes of Darius Boyd, Sam Thaiday, Adam Blair and Ben Hunt next season.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“He helped me out a lot when I came to the club as a young fella and obviously Corey’s such a great leader around the club,” Gillett said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Being a Bronco means that much to him, and not only for myself but the other young guys coming through he leads in the right direction and he’s always good for a bit of advice.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I am getting a little bit older now and Corey will be dearly missed at the Broncos.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“There’s a group of guys in our mid-20s that have been there for a while and we’re all going to have to stand up when Corey’s gone.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“They’re big shoes to fill but we all bring a little bit of leadership to the team and hopefully we can all pitch in and keep the younger boys coming along nicely.”
[/FONT]

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

if his contract for this year is worth 450k and his new contract is 500k that's not much of an increase.

very happy he accepted it

Third Party sweeteners?

Maybe. Or maybe he's happy enough playing with the club he's been with since forever, living near his family and friends, playing with his mates and under a coach who has made him into one of the best second rowers getting around, and thinks 500k is enough money and doesn't want to throw his lifestyle away for a little bit more.

Maybe. Or maybe he's happy enough playing with the club he's been with since forever, living near his family and friends, playing with his mates and under a coach who has made him into one of the best second rowers getting around, and thinks 500k is enough money and doesn't want to throw his lifestyle away for a little bit more.

and to most people 500k is a substantial amount of money

I think we will make it up to him in third party bonus' and also when the cap increases, his wage will accordingly too.

The 69'ers approve this move! :takdir:

Is it a coincidence that EVERY single time a Bronco stays for less it gets leaked to the media - usually with exact figures?

Wouldn't surprise me if its a Bennett tactic for getting everyone to buy into staying for less. It's self perpetuating, Bennett plays hardball as a negotiator, signs them on the cheap, leaks to the media that so and so stayed for $xxxK a season.... Players start believing the Bronco's are so great to play for if guys are taking unders, and that to play for them they will have to accept the same! And so on and so forth, to cycle continues.

Manly are set to offer Gillett a 4 year contract on big $$$$

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncorob
  • NSW stables
  • john1420
  • Xzei
  • Santa
  • KnToad
  • Dash
  • leon.bott
  • Foordy
  • Gaz
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Ondi
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Manofoneway
  • Strop
  • FACTHUNT
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.