Broncos could struggle to keep Gillett

They probably can actually, they're shedding B.Stewart, Lyon & potentially Matai, and they've already lost Mateo, Symonds, L.Burgess & Moltzen this season, that's a fair chunk of cap.

Last edited:
Wasn't the Mole reporting that Manly were after James Roberts as well? Throwing darts at a board.

The Sea Eagles salary cap position is up in the air at the moment.

It's worth noting that Walker and Taupau are owed more money next season. Currently Walker's value is based on a deal he signed with South Sydney as an 18 year old. Meanwhile, Marty is on a deal he signed when he was a reserve grader at the Bulldogs. So you'd have to assume their deals in 2017 will be substantially higher, leaving Manly with little room even with Stewart and Lyon retiring.

Plus, Stewart and Lyon were entitled to allowances that neither Walker and Taupau are eligible for. Even if Stewart does leave, there's the possibility his absence doesn't have an impact on the salary cap, or at least not as big as you'd expect from a club legend.

Apparently they still have a bunch of players off-contract so you'd imagine if they do sign Gillett, they'd have to release a number of those to bring him in.

Then again, it's all moot. I can't see Gillett going anywhere and that's fantastic news for the Broncos since he's one of the best players in the game.

It's worth noting that Walker and Taupau are owed more money next season. Currently Walker's value is based on a deal he signed with South Sydney as an 18 year old. Meanwhile, Marty is on a deal he signed when he was a reserve grader at the Bulldogs. So you'd have to assume their deals in 2017 will be substantially higher, leaving Manly with little room even with Stewart and Lyon retiring.

Plus, Stewart and Lyon were entitled to allowances that neither Walker and Taupau are eligible for. Even if Stewart does leave, there's the possibility his absence doesn't have an impact on the salary cap, or at least not as big as you'd expect from a club legend.

Apparently they still have a bunch of players off-contract so you'd imagine if they do sign Gillett, they'd have to release a number of those to bring him in.

Then again, it's all moot. I can't see Gillett going anywhere and that's fantastic news for the Broncos since he's one of the best players in the game.

Uh, what?

Why do their previous contracts matter? Or in Tapau's case, 2 contracts ago? You'd have to assume the reason they are at Manly is because they are being paid more to be there.

Because Manly didn't sign those players when they were off-contract. Instead, they bought out an entire year of a pre-existing contract and lured them with bigger money for the latter years.

When Marty signed the deal (his 3 year contract with Wests), he was a fringe player at Canterbury. He played 11 games in Canterbury, but it's worth noting that his seven run-on starts occurred when Graham was serving his suspension from the grand final. He was dropped as soon as Graham was available in Round 8.

Last edited:
Because Manly didn't sign those players when they were off-contract. Instead, they bought out an entire year of a pre-existing contract and lured them with bigger money for the latter years.

When Marty signed the deal (his 3 year contract with Wests), he was a fringe player at Canterbury. He played 11 games in Canterbury, but it's worth noting that his seven run-on starts occurred when Graham was serving his suspension from the grand final. He was dropped as soon as Graham was available in Round 8.
Ok, but he was at the Tigers for 2 years, so at worst he is being paid what he was at the Tigers, which I'm assuming is a fair bit more than his minimum wage Bulldogs deal.

Yes, but it's no where near what he's worth and what he will earn in 2017.

[FONT=&quot]MATT Gillett has dismissed reports linking him with a move to Manly, claiming it is “news to him”.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The Broncos backrower knocked back suggestions he is heading south at the end of this year, standing by his position that he wants to stay with Brisbane.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gillett has insisted all season that his preference is to remain at Red Hill beyond this year when his present contract finishes up.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]However, prolonged talks have caused fans to start speculating that he might be going elsewhere, with the Manly rumours the latest to erupt during the last week.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gillett was not concerned however, claiming that everything is getting sorted between Brisbane and his manager Isaac Moses.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“It is news to me,” he said of the latest rumours.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“It’s not frustrating, it’s just the way footy is. Stuff gets thrown up all the time about contracts.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I suppose it’s a talking point for people. Some people take it pretty seriously but I like to just have a smile. The money they’re throwing up is pretty nice to hear but it’s all a bit of fun.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I don’t really have a timeline. It’s being handled pretty well between my manager and the club. They’re sorting out everything that is happening.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gillett, who will this week play his 150th NRL game, also reiterated his stance that Brisbane is where he’d like to stay.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He said that knocking off this milestone against the Storm on Friday meant a lot to him, and he would like to reach several more milestones with the Broncos.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I have really enjoyed my time and hopefully I can continue enjoying my time here, staying at the Broncos,” he said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“To play 150 games at such a special club is very honourable and a proud moment for myself. It’s something I won’t forget.”[/FONT]

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Gillett was just on Fox Sports news saying there is a possibility he might be going to the Warriors next year!

Gillett was just on Fox Sports news saying there is a possibility he might be going to the Warriors next year!

Serious? I can't believe he would actually say that. With talk like that I would say his time at the Broncos is done.

Can we get an actual quote from Gillett or something? How come nobody else saw this and there's nothing on Twitter about it?

Did he say "I might be going to the Warriors next year" or did he say "I've had an offer from the Warriors"

MATT Gillett has dismissed reports linking him with a move to Manly, claiming it is “news to him”.

The Broncos backrower knocked back suggestions he is heading south at the end of this year, standing by his position that he wants to stay with Brisbane.
Gillett has insisted all season that his preference is to remain at Red Hill beyond this year when his present contract finishes up.
However, prolonged talks have caused fans to start speculating that he might be going elsewhere, with the Manly rumours the latest to erupt during the last week.

Gillett was not concerned however, claiming that everything is getting sorted between Brisbane and his manager Isaac Moses.
“It is news to me,” he said of the latest rumours.
“It’s not frustrating, it’s just the way footy is. Stuff gets thrown up all the time about contracts.
“I suppose it’s a talking point for people. Some people take it pretty seriously but I like to just have a smile. The money they’re throwing up is pretty nice to hear but it’s all a bit of fun.
“I don’t really have a timeline. It’s being handled pretty well between my manager and the club. They’re sorting out everything that is happening.”
Gillett, who will this week play his 150th NRL game, also reiterated his stance that Brisbane is where he’d like to stay.
He said that knocking off this milestone against the Storm on Friday meant a lot to him, and he would like to reach several more milestones with the Broncos.

“I have really enjoyed my time and hopefully I can continue enjoying my time here, staying at the Broncos,” he said.
“To play 150 games at such a special club is very honourable and a proud moment for myself. It’s something I won’t forget.”

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

He will bring up a major milestone when he plays his 150th first grade game on Friday night and Broncos back-rower Matt Gillett is hopeful of following in the footsteps of past greats by playing his entire career at the club.
With back row partner Sam Thaiday to also celebrate his 250th game for Brisbane in the blockbuster against the Storm Gillett joked that he is talking to "all of them" with regards to possible suitors elsewhere in the NRL but hoped he could continue his career at the Broncos in 2017 and beyond.
Two of the four most-capped players in premiership history, Darren Lockyer and Corey Parker, spent their entire careers at the Broncos with Thaiday on track to become the third Bronco to play 300 games for the club by the time his latest contract expires at the end of the 2018 season.
One of the form forwards of the Telstra Premiership and a current Kangaroo and Queensland Origin representative, Gillett is understandably in high demand on the open market but admitted that the example set by the likes of Parker and Thaiday is one he would very much like to emulate.
"They're role models for us boys that are coming into the system," said Gillett, who made his NRL debut for Brisbane alongside Lockyer, Parker and Thaiday in Round 1, 2010.
"They've been here for so long and played so many games for the club and they're so proud of what they've done in their careers.
"Corey is leaving us at the end of this year and Sammy is going to play his whole career here.
"It's something for players that do come through the system to look up to and want to be like them and stay at the one club."
The retirement of Parker at season's end should ensure the Broncos can table an offer to Gillett competitive to the big dollars other clubs are willing to throw his way but the 28-year-old said he is not concerned if negotiations are not finalised prior to the start of the finals series.
"Not at all. I've pretty much had nothing to really do with it," Gillett said when asked whether contract talks had been a distraction.
"Just a few phone calls here and there with the manager and let him sort it out. It hasn't really affected me to be honest.
"All that stuff is still getting sorted out at the moment but I've been here for a while now and have really enjoyed my time.
"Hopefully I can continue enjoying my time here and stay at the Broncos but I've just got to focus on footy and let everything else sort itself out."
Having missed three games with a shoulder injury in the wake of the Origin Series, Gillett's return has coincided with a run of three straight wins for the Broncos, under-pinning his value to the team.
Eager to add to his two Test caps at the Four Nations tournament at the end of the year, Gillett said his availability for the Kangaroos will hinge on whether the tendon problem in his shoulder requires surgery at season's end.
"I'll get a scan at the end of the year and see how we go with that," Gillett said of the prospect of off-season surgery.
"I've just got to get through the end of the season whenever we finish and get that scan and see what's really going on.
"At the moment it's good to go but just got to look after it and get it looked after the season's done and see how we can go there."

Gillett keen to follow proud Broncos tradition - NRL.com

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Harry Sack
  • ezpz
  • davidp
  • Brocko
  • broncsgoat
  • Wolfie
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Midean
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Jazza
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fitzy
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.