Broncos could struggle to keep Gillett

Hoffman - the greatest ever fullback who is too good at it, he's playing center just so others can have a chance. Additionally, the Titans matching Gillett's contract offer shows they've learned from the Roberts brain snaps. Don't stuff up and offer less and force a player to pay the legal fees of a stuff up he didn't do, just match the offer of the current club with more premiership aspirations, more fans, more TPAs and better coach. Why not?

it was posted on an account on instagram called the nrl lurker so before you start to get smart again like you always are how about you check your resources
"unbreakable"

its probably not right but reports are that luke lewis is going to the knights and chris heighington will go to england for his last few years and that will free up space for glenn

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD4g_meydtB/?taken-by=nrl_signing_news_rumors&hl=en if you really dont belive me go and have a look for yourself

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see us losing Gillett...it will most likely be a back ended deal and he would pull in quite a few TPA's especially after playing in the upcoming Anzac Test. If Nikko is going to be on the bench for the next 2-3 years I would rather see him go to another club tbh.

What's the big ****ing rush to get Oates to the second row? Do you not like having a ****ing tank on the wing who can run really fast and pretty much run over fullbacks at will?

There is no rush on my part for Oates to move to the back row. He's admitted himself he isn't mentally tough enough for the back row. As well, I love watching him play on the wing, running over fullbacks. In fact, I argued for him to play there a year or 2 ago and was roundly criticised for it in these threads

I would also like him in the centres a la Gene Miles, except centre isn't gonna happen, not with Reed entrenched there and Kahu who for mine is a first class centre and my choice over Reed.

"Putting" him in the back row with Gillett was just a fantasy where I could imagine him running over not just fullbacks, but opposing props, back rowers, halves, centres, wingers and ball boys.

Having Oates running off Milford's shoulder on the left and, Roberts on the right - the club's 2 fastest and most damaging runners is such a nice fantasy.

As for Gillo, I am expecting so much more attack from him this year, and I think from what we have seen of him running the ball so far this season, that might well be Wayne's plan too. Again, he is the last player we need to lose and the first player bar none we need to re-sign.

Last edited:
Wouldn't have found all of us arguing about keeping Oates in the backs.

I find it interesting that Wayne came out and said that Nikorima should stay, and that he's more or less going to try and find a spot for him in the starting line-up next season (Reading between the lines, his exact quote was something like "If we can't find a spot for him in 12 months time, then it might be time for him to leave".

Maybe it's just a fail-safe in case Milford or Hunt decide to peace out for some unknown reason (Who are both off-contract next season)

MATT Gillett is set to sacrifice up to $200,000 per season to stay in Brisbane.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Gillett will decide his future within a week and Broncos officials privately believe he will spurn large offers from Cronulla and South Sydney to stay at Red Hill.

It is understood Gillett would be sacrificing more than $200,000 per season to re-sign with the Broncos.

What he would receive in return is the best chance of winning his inaugural premiership, a quest Brisbane continues on Saturday night at Suncorp Stadium in a clash with the Knights where they are raging favourites to win.

Coach Wayne Bennett has preached a message of sacrifice for success since he returned to Brisbane and Gillett has listened.

“If it was just playing for money it wouldn’t be an issue but it is much deeper than all that — you have to be happy where you are at,” Bennett said.

“At the great clubs that’s what they have to do, they make sacrifices for success.

“That’s been part of our psyche since day one.”

Gillett isn’t the first person at Brisbane to take a pay cut to chase premierships with the club arguably the best in the NRL at getting people to stay in the face of bigger offers.

Gillett is a Kangaroos representative and State of Origin mainstay who has improved again this season.

A Bribie Island talent, Gillett is reluctant to leave family for Sydney.

Outside of the Sharks and Rabbitohs, the Gold Coast Titans are the other possibility for Gillett but they will struggle to make a competitive offer and already have a right edge star in Greg Bird.

Asked if Brisbane were confident Gillett would stay, coach Bennett said “Yeah”.

“There are ongoing negotiations.

“He’s keen to stay here and we’re keen to keep him.”

The Broncos’ biggest issue is next season’s off-contract list with the deals of Anthony Milford, Darius Boyd, Alex Glenn, Ben Hunt, Jordan Kahu, Andrew McCullough, Josh McGuire, Corey Oates, Adam Blair, Joe Ofahengaue and Jack Reed all expiring.

Bennett said he wanted to see more from the Broncos on Saturday night, after the team had been flat the previous two weeks.

“We’ve been a bit flat since the Cowboys game,” Bennett said.

“We haven’t been quite on that high that we were. That game took a lot out of us, physically and mentally.

“We’ve got the job done and I’m just hoping we can start to up the ante again now.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/2ce6c22346e4ff3931133554a0803b5e

I find it interesting that Wayne came out and said that Nikorima should stay, and that he's more or less going to try and find a spot for him in the starting line-up next season (Reading between the lines, his exact quote was something like "If we can't find a spot for him in 12 months time, then it might be time for him to leave".

Maybe it's just a fail-safe in case Milford or Hunt decide to peace out for some unknown reason (Who are both off-contract next season)

I am pretty sure the Salary cap is meant to go up in 2018 so you will find a lot of players will be off contract at the end of 2017 to make sure the players and the club can make the best decisions with the raised cap.

[h=1]Queensland State of Origin backrower Matt Gillett has no plans to leave Brisbane Broncos[/h][h=3]Cronk having 24-hr treatment[/h]
external

origin:video_integrator.9oNmFzMzE6u68fgOaXp5ljBkKlut9maZ

MAROONS back-rower Matt Gillett says he has no plans to walk away from the Broncos culture that has turned him into a starting Origin player.
Gillett is on the verge of signing a $1.5 million-plus deal with the Broncos and the Titans are resigned to missing out on the Queensland forward.
The Titans were Brisbane’s primary threat to retaining Gillett after Cronulla, convinced the Maroons ace was going nowhere, last week pulled out of the race for his signature.
dc87f7a3713dbbaf752639145f8e5b83
Gillett has his mind on other things this week.Now the Titans have also conceded defeat in the battle for Gillett, who attributes his rise as a starting Test and Origin back-rower to Brisbane’s cultural standards under Wayne Bennett.
“We’re not too far away from doing a deal,” Gillett said.
“It’s a thing that takes time, but the Broncos have been pretty good and I’ve left it in their hands with my manager.
“Hopefully it (his new Broncos deal) is done sooner rather than later because I don’t want it to become a distraction.
“A lot of players chop and change clubs these days but my preference is to stay in Queensland and stay at the Broncos.’’
Brisbane’s attitude towards defence has become ruthless under Bennett and Gillett is a major beneficiary, improving his missed-tackle count by a whopping 40 per cent.

Two years ago, Gillett was statistically Brisbane’s worst defender, missing 63 tackles from 21 games. This season, he has missed just 20 tackles while amassing a whopping 405 from 11 games at an average of 36.8.
His average missed-tackle count has plummeted from three under former coach Anthony Griffin to 1.8 under Bennett’s defensive systems.
“Defensively at the Broncos we have changed how we are doing things and it’s helped me a lot,” Gillett said.
“We have come up with different structures. I used to miss a fair few tackles, but I’ve come a long way in that area and it’s helped me become a better player overall.”
d6e43ef69d4b4b3a8400aefd89dda728
Gillett says a new Broncos deal isn’t too far away.When Gillett runs on to ANZ Stadium on Wednesday night, it will be just his third starting appearance for Queensland in 13 Origin games but the 27-year-old feels he now belongs in maroon, a belief fuelled by his rampaging solo try in Origin II at the MCG last year.
“I wouldn’t say I’m comfortable but you feel like you do belong,” said Gillett, who enters his fifth Origin campaign after making his debut in 2012.
“To get my first Origin try last year was pretty special and it did give me a lot of confidence.
“It’s great to be starting but it’s important to focus and not change too much to what I’ve been doing at club level for the Broncos.
“This is a big game and a big occasion, I can’t get ahead of myself and think I have to do something I haven’t done in the past.’’
No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Yep great news, we need him for a few more years yet to keep up the experience in the pack.

Parker and Thaiday will probably leave in the next couple of years and leave a massive hole experience wise.

Wouldn't have found all of us arguing about keeping Oates in the backs.

I can see both sides of the argument. The logic is that if Oates plays this well out of position, what sort of freak would he be in his favored position?

However the rise of TPJ and Gillett's explosive form have put a dampener on any need to move Oates to the SR. As long as he is still kicking ass on the wing, where we have a shortage of viable wingers anyway, then leave him there until he is too old to be as fast as he is now.

I can see both sides of the argument. The logic is that if Oates plays this well out of position, what sort of freak would he be in his favored position?

However the rise of TPJ and Gillett's explosive form have put a dampener on any need to move Oates to the SR. As long as he is still kicking ass on the wing, where we have a shortage of viable wingers anyway, then leave him there until he is too old to be as fast as he is now.
What makes you believe Oates favoured position is second row ? That may well be the case but I haven't seen Oates say that. Oates was put in second row by Griffin and he got bashed, was largely ineffective and sustained quite a deal of damage to his growing body.

Unread

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.