NEWS Broncos eye Valentine Holmes as saviour of Red Hill after finals bashing

PFFTT Badel

Moron contradicts himself in the first sentence.
Headline reads that Broncos are "eyeing" Val but the first sentence reads that the Broncos have been 'urged' to bring him back

I am on board with the Croft idea, but not because I rate him massively highly, but just because I rate him over who we have.
I'm also on the Sezer train, and the 'sign any half who is better than we have' train

I'd prefer with chase Israel Folau. I've never been convinced with Holmes. He's made his name falling over the line as a winger.

Also, I don't understand Oates being out of favour. He was our best early in the season, and I reckon he's being played injured since Origin.

1. Folau
2. Isaako
3. Bird
4. Staggs
5. Oates
6. Milford
7. Deardon

I'd prefer with chase Israel Folau. I've never been convinced with Holmes. He's made his name falling over the line as a winger.

Also, I don't understand Oates being out of favour. He was our best early in the season, and I reckon he's being played injured since Origin.

1. Folau
2. Isaako
3. Bird
4. Staggs
5. Oates
6. Milford
7. Deardon
Must be watching a different Val Holmes to what I've seen......

I can’t believe people are hesitant about Holmes.... the guy would walk into the Australian side.

....Or run really really fast, maybe do a sick step on the way through, and score 6 tries

I can’t believe people are hesitant about Holmes.... the guy would walk into the Australian side.

....Or run really really fast, maybe do a sick step on the way through, and score 6 tries
No one is hesitant about 2017-2018 Holmes

But theres no guarantee that he would be that player and considering we already have a lot of dead money tied up in bad contracts, repeating the same mistake and hoping it doesnt happen again seems insanity to me.

No one is hesitant about 2017-2018 Holmes

But theres no guarantee that he would be that player and considering we already have a lot of dead money tied up in bad contracts, repeating the same mistake and hoping it doesnt happen again seems insanity to me.

Can you think of a better option for Fullback right now? Bird excluded.

the priority is a half...........i mean why bother going through all this hurt and player upheaval...there simply has to be a targeted and prioritized plan behind it all....

I'm off the belief the priority should be a Foran like player to come into the half's and provide game management and maximize the forward pack we have.

Now, there are precious few of those types around, hence they will demand, and get, top dollar, cause that's the player market right now..

Dearden can hold his own in the top grade. Strong defensively and of course more than happy to let the senior partner in the halves call the shots when necessary. He needs experience in first grade now, hes moved beyond QLD cup and i cant see how he improves in that level of competition..

Milf can stay at 1. Il take the lesser of 2 evils, but we MUST get a half back. Now, who exactly that is, what he would cost and will it work and be worth the money etc.....over to you Broncos..

If we release Bird, surely we'd have to be close to funding Holmes and Sezer with that money and whatever else we have spare in the cap? Holmes won't be cheap but surely Sezer would be?
[automerge]1568933318[/automerge]
the priority is a half...........i mean why bother going through all this hurt and player upheaval...there simply has to be a targeted and prioritized plan behind it all....

I'm off the belief the priority should be a Foran like player to come into the half's and provide game management and maximize the forward pack we have.

Now, there are precious few of those types around, hence they will demand, and get, top dollar, cause that's the player market right now..

Dearden can hold his own in the top grade. Strong defensively and of course more than happy to let the senior partner in the halves call the shots when necessary. He needs experience in first grade now, hes moved beyond QLD cup and i cant see how he improves in that level of competition..

Milf can stay at 1. Il take the lesser of 2 evils, but we MUST get a half back. Now, who exactly that is, what he would cost and will it work and be worth the money etc.....over to you Broncos..

I actually see it the other way around. Decent organising Halfbacks don't always break the bank and its entirely possible to be successful with a good rather than great one (see Canberra 2019).

Genuine game breaking Fullbacks are much harder to come by and can command far more $$$.

I think Foran would be nosebleed expensive and this is for an already ageing guy who is quite injury prone even in a good year.

I think Sezer would come for a fraction of the cost and could realistically achieve a similar result for us.

Last edited:
Losing Bird just to gain an average halfback is a net loss for us. Compare:

1. Bird
6. Milford
7. Dearden

1. Isaako??? Who else is there?
6. Milford
7. Townsend/Sezer

Option 1 will take time to fully develop but is miles ahead of option 2 in my opinion. And knowing our recent track record, option 2 will end up with Dearden walking out the door and in 2 years time we'll be back to where we started.

Active Now

• Reds2011
  • Waynesaurus
  • Gaz
  • bb_gun
  • Bucking Beads
  • Socnorb
  • john1420
  • Dexter
  • Spoon
  • Manofoneway
  • Broncosarethebest
  • broncoscope
  • bonza
  • mrtij
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  • Howie
  • Redfern_1980
  • TwoLeftFeet
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.