NEWS Broncos eye Valentine Holmes as saviour of Red Hill after finals bashing

People are missing the fact that signing Val doesn't solve our problems. We need a player that can organise the team, not another player like this. I'd sign a Brodie Croft over a Valentine Holmes right now.

Agreed about the type of player that we need more than anything. I dunno if Croft would be that player though, but probably a lot more likely than someone who is only 18/19 and should probably still be playing QLD Cup (not just to learn the game, but in terms of physicality too, not many 18/19 year olds can handle a full season of NRL footy, I feel like injuries will be more likely too).

would like some one to explain to be the hype around brodie croft.

cause i just dont see how he has shown any thing that dearden has not shown if not less.

because brodie has one of the greatest if not the greatest footy player the game has seen steering his team around and yet he still got dropped.

so how the hell is a kid like croft gonna transform the basket case that is broncos?

Last edited:

cause i just dont see how he has shown any thing that dearden has not shown if not less.

because brodie has one of the greatest if not the greatest footy player the game has seen steering his team around and yet he still got dropped.

so how the hell is a kid like croft gonna transform the basket case that is broncos?

This is all just assumption, but I feel like Storm can get away a bit without a halfback largely due to Cam Smith.

Agree with you bud. I just think most peeps, myself included, are hanging onto hope for any possible scenario that may result in the following:

- Turpin never selected as halfback again for as long as we all shall live
- DarryB is never ever (did I mention never) seen in the halves/team. Period.

If Croft coming here means either, or preferably both those situations are never again experienced by a broncos fan, we shall all shout Hallelujah and all shall be forgiven. At least until the next thrashing is received.

Last edited:
For mine, Bird is just as viable at fullback, and he's already on our books. Not as evasive as Holmes, but definitely more powerful, better ball-playing skills, and has the drag-the-team-to-victory hard edge missing since Hodges.

So no thanks Val.

For mine, Bird is just as viable at fullback, and he's already on our books. Not as evasive as Holmes, but definitely more powerful, better ball-playing skills, and has the drag-the-team-to-victory hard edge missing since Hodges.

So no thanks Val.

Exactly this.

Croft is NOT the answer!

What a nothing article. We don’t have the money for that because we have Boyd’s contract plus we are trying to retain Fifita. Honestly, pure fantasy.

Boyd is going to grip tightly onto his contract as most would in that situation.

Last edited:

Do you mean the guy who was halfback for the entire season for the team that got the minor premiership 6 points clear ahead of their closest rivals? The same halfback who got them all the way to the grand final in his first full season at 7.

He's a half, playing in a team where Cam Smith wants to do everything and has never been poor. The only reason he's out is because Papa is so good Bellamy wanted him in the team and he happens to rate Hughes higher than Croft, I wouldn't pick Hughes over Croft in a million years and if Bellamy persists with that I can't see them winning a premiership and wouldn't be surprised if they're out in week 2 or 3.

I would also bet money Cam Smith and/or Bellamy just don't like him on a personal level, Croft probably tries to take control of the team sometimes and Smith doesn't like that where Hughes seems to be the passive nice guy who is happy to just "play his role".

That's exactly what we need though, a halfback with some personality and cocky confidence instead of some 18 year old kid who should be spending at least a year or 2 more in QCup and Milford who probably gets someone to order his Maccas for him while he's daydreaming about **** knows what.

Last edited:
Boyd to retire and Macca shopped elsewhere

No and no. Why would Boyd retire on that deal? Who would buy Macca?
[automerge]1568733432[/automerge]
I'd be giving Bird the option of heading back to Sydney early, as in 2020 early. Voila! Welcome aboard Val.

Look, I really like Bird as a player and wish the kid the best of luck but he is just not providing value for money. He is too injury prone.

So who is cashed up and dumb enough to take him?
[automerge]1568733634[/automerge]
Do you mean the guy who was halfback for the entire season for the team that got the minor premiership 6 points clear ahead of their closest rivals? The same halfback who got them all the way to the grand final in his first full season at 7.

He's a half, playing in a team where Cam Smith wants to do everything and has never been poor. The only reason he's out is because Papa is so good Bellamy wanted him in the team and he happens to rate Hughes higher than Croft, I wouldn't pick Hughes over Croft in a million years and if Bellamy persists with that I can't see them winning a premiership and wouldn't be surprised if they're out in week 2 or 3.

I would also bet money Cam Smith and/or Bellamy just don't like him on a personal level, Croft probably tries to take control of the team sometimes and Smith doesn't like that where Hughes seems to be the passive nice guy who is happy to just "play his role".

That's exactly what we need though, a halfback with some personality and cocky confidence instead of some 18 year old kid who should be spending at least a year or 2 more in QCup and Milford who probably gets someone to order his Maccas for him while he's daydreaming about **** knows what.

Cause so many success stories of average players coming out of the Melb system and smashing it up elsewhere...

Last edited:
I really don't get the hype around Croft. What has he done to warrant it? Apart from the media rubbing one off on him because he's coming out of the Melbourne system.

Last edited:
What?

Why do you think he only made 12 appearances in 2018?
Lol, Bellamy chops and changes his spine ever other week. It's also coaching 101 to drop a promising player early into their career to "humble" them, Bennett did it all the time, Bellamy does too. Yes he was dropped for 3 months, he was also picked again and played all the way to the grand final.

I'd pretty confidently say Bellamy wouldn't pick Dearden, Nikorima, SOS or Turpin over him, that's for sure.

Lol, Bellamy chops and changes his spine ever other week. It's also coaching 101 to drop a promising player early into their career to "humble" them, Bennett did it all the time, Bellamy does too. Yes he was dropped for 3 months, he was also picked again and played all the way to the grand final.

This wasn't to humble him. Bellamy and Croft actually said it was because of his performances. He was poor. Bellamy wants a halfback that plays the percentages, that doesn't over-play their hand and does the job for the team. He kept trying to come up with the miracle play instead of playing simple. He was so poor, Smith went out of his way to make sure he wasn't getting the ball. He is still guilty of over-playing his hand from time to time, mainly because he is young and still learning.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Bellamy would pick Dearden & SOS over him. I mean he picked Jacks and Hughes ahead of him. If he likes experimenting, then why wouldn't he pick them?

We have the answer in the halves, people are just going to need to be patient and realize the Broncos are playing the long game here.

I really don't get the hype around Croft. What has he done to warrant it? Apart from the media rubbing one off on him because he's coming out of the Melbourne system.

It’s purely because of how pathetic our halves’ stocks have been since Lockyer retires. Also you can thank seibold for picking turpin at half back every game to add to that Croft hype.

Unread

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Dash
  • Jazza
  • kiwibronco
  • sooticus
  • Xzei
  • levikaden
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.