NEWS Broncos founder decries state of the club and endorse second Brisbane NRL side

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
FOUNDING Broncos director Barry Maranta has launched a stinging criticism of the modern state of the Brisbane club, insisting the deterioration of the NRL powerhouse is proof that the Queensland capital needs a second NRL team.

Last edited by a moderator:
badyon

badyon

QCup Player
Feb 8, 2014
The sort of all-over-the-shop illogical comments you'd expect from someone who would have Lachlan Maranta starting everyday.

Bronco's aren't performing , getting sponsors?

Solution? Second team.

Logic, not even once.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Certainly the Bronco's "heyday" is long behind them but the club still does reasonably well. I think the real concern is the dwindling RL support in Brisbane which is why a second club in the River City would have it treading water for the most part. Brisbane was a Rugby League town up until the mid to late 90's. It certainly isn't that anymore.

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
very interesting read that one. his comments that the club were a shadow of what they really were is a real show over the bowe. i do agree with him on that, the broncos were a qld club for qld kids to excel and come through. not a club that continually bought in outsiders as per recent years looking for a quick fix. its highlighted how we dont have any players in the emerging squad - quite sad to be honest.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
"there a major problem with the league in sydney, too many clubs"
Solution :make Brisbane a little bit more like Sydney.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
My biggest doubt on a second team is where the supporters are going to come from. You’re either a Broncos fan, or a St George, Warriors, Storm etc fan. How many are going to change over, especially if they aren’t an instant success?
This would only be worse if the team wasn’t geographically based so that people could identify with the team, eg Ipswich or Logan areas.

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
Certainly the Bronco's "heyday" is long behind them but the club still does reasonably well. I think the real concern is the dwindling RL support in Brisbane which is why a second club in the River City would have it treading water for the most part. Brisbane was a Rugby League town up until the mid to late 90's. It certainly isn't that anymore.

i tend to disagree mate, brisbane and qld in general is still rugby league central.
the corporate market is still very strong and with the right people at the helm there is definitely room for another team.
i think a second team would draw considerable support, there are a lot of people around who would take up a second brisbane team due to the fact they cant stand the broncos. over the past 25 years the migartion numbers from mexico to qld has been staggering and a lot of these people would get on board a second team. just my thoughts anyway.
im also thinking how good it would be to have a game every week at suncorp too. get charged up at the caxton and head to the footy every friday.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
As soon as the Cowboys became a credible club much of our Northern Queensland players had another avenue to ply their trade. This is what has diminished the Broncos the most. S.E. Queensland still produces a great bunch of talented youngsters every year. The trouble is all the other teams in the comp. now realise this and so Bronco scouts are regularly outnumbered sometimes 12 or 14 to 1. This is why we are required to sign players outwith the Queensland region.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
My biggest doubt on a second team is where the supporters are going to come from. You’re either a Broncos fan, or a St George, Warriors, Storm etc fan. How many are going to change over, especially if they aren’t an instant success?
This would only be worse if the team wasn’t geographically based so that people could identify with the team, eg Ipswich or Logan areas.
I think there would be support from those fans. They may be dragons, warriors, etc. but if they're living here they would lean towards them as a second team and if that second team were successful they would be more prominent at games, watching on TV buying merc, etc.

There's also younger generations that would be pushed towards them by parents who hate broncos.

It's the same as anyone if you're in a new area you typically barrack for the local team to some extent.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I think there would be support from those fans. They may be dragons, warriors, etc. but if they're living here they would lean towards them as a second team and if that second team were successful they would be more prominent at games, watching on TV buying merc, etc.

There's also younger generations that would be pushed towards them by parents who hate broncos.

It's the same as anyone if you're in a new area you typically barrack for the local team to some extent.

How's that working for the Titans?

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
i tend to disagree mate, brisbane and qld in general is still rugby league central.
the corporate market is still very strong and with the right people at the helm there is definitely room for another team.
i think a second team would draw considerable support, there are a lot of people around who would take up a second brisbane team due to the fact they cant stand the broncos. over the past 25 years the migartion numbers from mexico to qld has been staggering and a lot of these people would get on board a second team. just my thoughts anyway.
im also thinking how good it would be to have a game every week at suncorp too. get charged up at the caxton and head to the footy every friday.
RL is still the #1 game in Qld but it was the ONLY game in town in the 80's and 90's. Union and soccer were still amateur sports and the Lions were called the Bears and played at Cararra and would lose by 100+ scorelines. All three of those codes have made significant strides in Brissy in the past 25 years. And whilst the population continues to grow rapidly, the newbies aren't necessarily jumping on the RL bandwagon with the major support these days being centred around areas such as Caboolture, Logan and Ipswich. I remember the hype which preceded the 92 and 93 GFs and it was incredible. Then I compare it to 2015 and there was no comparison as much of inner Brisbane didn't even acknowledge it. I'd love a second team in Brisbane but I just have my doubts about it being a profitable venture. I could be totally wrong though and it's just one man's opinion but I have seen the RL landscape change rapidly these past 25 years.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Lol isn't this bloke mates with the consortium trying to bring in a new brisbane team AND we just sacked/didn't re-sign his grandson?

Deadset beat up of an article. There are more sydney based, Canberra and Melbourne scouts in Brisbane then their are broncos scouts these days.

And that development squad had no brisbane players (although offa should feel hard done by considering the lack of depth at prop), correct... how many of those spent time at Brisbane though?

Why is that when we get a player from a young age from another club we get told on here "we can't claim that!" (Rightfully I may add), but now the opposite situation has occured and once again we don't get to claim we had an input in their development? How many of that emerging squad spent time at the broncos?

And I'm not sure what he means by the club performing poorly? Just on the field because since Bennett has been back we have been the 3rd best performing club overall. The days of winning a premiership every year are long gone. We have one reason we haven't won a premiership for 12 years. Bruno Cullen. We are recovering though. If it's off the field (financially-wise) he is talking he is kidding himself. The club has NEVER been better in that regard. Paul white has done an amazing job there.

B

BRC088

QCup Player
Feb 7, 2012
I was thinking pretty much exactly like Accept, but I'd add union and player loyalty into the fray aswell, and not that its even possible to keep all the young talent even if they did want to stay. Its taken what, 15 years to get to the level of the Broncos Cowboys derby quality, any new local team would take similar time frame to build that. I'm also not a fan of multi-user stadiums, Lang Park will always be our home stadium, anyone else is intruding.

P

Pushkin

QCup Player
May 27, 2016
very interesting read that one. his comments that the club were a shadow of what they really were is a real show over the bowe. i do agree with him on that, the broncos were a qld club for qld kids to excel and come through. not a club that continually bought in outsiders as per recent years looking for a quick fix. its highlighted how we dont have any players in the emerging squad - quite sad to be honest.
All the hype about Payna haas this season. What do think about Patrick Carrigan? Will Patrick going to make nrl debut this season.

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
As soon as the Cowboys became a credible club much of our Northern Queensland players had another avenue to ply their trade. This is what has diminished the Broncos the most. S.E. Queensland still produces a great bunch of talented youngsters every year. The trouble is all the other teams in the comp. now realise this and so Bronco scouts are regularly outnumbered sometimes 12 or 14 to 1. This is why we are required to sign players outwith the Queensland region.

thats not true about other club scouts outnumbering the broncos scouts.
the broncos scout network is considerably larger than any other club.
the broncos have salaried employees/scouts who have age group specific roles starting from under 12's (i am not sure why) - if you go to a footy carnival generally you will see 5 to 6 bronco scouts on the ground and 1 maybe 2 at best from the other clubs.

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • Xzei
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • marw
  • GCBRONCO
  • Howie
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Morkel
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • Sproj
  • Midean
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.