NEWS Broncos founder decries state of the club and endorse second Brisbane NRL side

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I don't understand why people whinge about the food at the footy. Just eat before or after. There's a thousand really good restaurants just outside and you can bring your own food inside the stadium.

And just because he had a massive hand in creating the Broncos and is allowed to comment on us doesn't make his opinions correct.

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
We are still the Premier team of the NRL. The biggest sponsorships, the biggest fan base, the biggest crowds. Give it 5 years, when Smith/Slater/Bellamy have all moved on from the Storm and they are struggling to make the 8. We will be in the hunt for a premiership still, after learning our Henjack/Griffin lessons.

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Ok, yes he founded the club but does that give him the right to shit on it because his grandson became the try bomber

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
The main argument for a second Brisbane side is that a game will be at Suncorp every single week. I dno about plastic fans (as I said before, the majority of these tools support the Storm or Cows even though they have no geographical ties to those clubs)/ casuals, but there's approximately a zero percent chance I will actively attend or support a second Brisbane team just because they exist. The NRL would have to pull an AFL and give the new side a ludicrous salary cap, and even then the hard core Broncos fans would be even more incensed.

We are still the Premier team of the NRL. The biggest sponsorships, the biggest fan base, the biggest crowds. Give it 5 years, when Smith/Slater/Bellamy have all moved on from the Storm and they are struggling to make the 8. We will be in the hunt for a premiership still, after learning our Henjack/Griffin lessons.

Yep, with Walters, a guy who seems to be like Bennett in terms of respect from the players, at the helm. God I love that he turned down that monster Titans offer to stay loyal to the Bronx.

Last edited:
B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
The main argument for a second Brisbane side is that a game will be at Suncorp every single week. I dno about plastic fans (as I said before, the majority of these tools support the Storm or Cows even though they have no geographical ties to those clubs)/ casuals, but there's approximately a zero percent chance I will actively attend or support a second Brisbane team just because they exist. The NRL would have to pull an AFL and give the new side a ludicrous salary cap, and even then the hard core Broncos fans would be even more incensed.

Yep, with Walters, a guy who seems to be like Bennett in terms of respect from the players, at the helm. God I love that he turned down that monster Titans offer to stay loyal to the Bronx.

That argument is pretty strong imo. People should be able to go watch a league game in Brisbane every week. The Broncos only oppose it for purely self interested reasons. A second Brisbane team would be good for the game.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I don't understand why people whinge about the food at the footy. Just eat before or after. There's a thousand really good restaurants just outside and you can bring your own food inside the stadium.

And just because he had a massive hand in creating the Broncos and is allowed to comment on us doesn't make his opinions correct.
You're allowed to take food into the stadium? I didn't think that was allowed...?

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
I just despise that you can't get a full strength beer at a sporting event in the general area. So patronising. The nanny state in full force. The minority who can't handle their piss should not mean the majority get punished.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
just despise that you can't get a full strength beer at a sporting event in the general area.
You can get full strength beer in the members bar at a Broncs game.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
You can disagree with his points but you can't fairly disregard what he's done to start the Broncos.

First privately owned club and no reliance on pokies. Just sponsorship. It had never been done, if people don't sponsor or come to games the Broncos die.

Powers gave them a million dollars- no product, no team to sponsor yet, wasn't allowed to have Power's at Lang Park or any signs. He got nothing for his money. Unheard of sponsorship level.

Broncos were still fighting the loyalty factor, plenty of people weren't letting go of their local loyalty- I am Norths man I'll be at Bash Up on Sunday not those Broncos. 1988 wasn't going to crack that straight away. Maranta was also responsible for the biggest ever crowds in the club's history at ANZ and the bold move. 12 months later against Parramatta 1989 was the club's first sell out so they did pretty well.

Paid the players and offered security- $1500 a win had never been heard of- $500 a loss.

Day they got the license put in $100,000 of his own money to get it going.

Got the QRL clubs on board, after the initial vote going against their bid, reversed 10-0.

They understood the travel costs would be picked up for the other teams by the NSWRL not for Brisbane they aren't. NSWRL granted the Coast and Newcastle $50,000 not Brisbane. They overcame all that.

Bennett was responsible for the players but you can credit these guys with Ribot, Edwards, Canavan, Keliher and Connell. The staff that would stay for a long time.

I think he's allowed to comment on the Broncos.
He started a team, along with others. He did a lot, 30 years ago. Im not saying he doesn't deserve an opinion, only that to criticize as he has done, publicly, you need to put opinion with fact or face disregard. If, as others have said, that criticism is coloured by an agenda that is in opposition to current administration, I think we have a right to question it, if it is without a concrete foundation.
I'm happy to listen to what he has to say, but it needs more than opinion on perceived problems without answers. Maybe his solution IS a new team, but first I'd like a little more specifics, before I agree with it.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
You're allowed to take food into the stadium? I didn't think that was allowed...?
Yeah we take a small cooler bag in filled with water and snacks and it was fine every time. I thought it wouldn’t be allowed too

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Yeah we take a small cooler bag in filled with water and snacks and it was fine every time. I thought it wouldn’t be allowed too

Who the **** drinks water at the footy?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Who the **** drinks water at the footy?

Waterboy

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
On the sponsorship side.. that’s when Liverpool had a paint shop and then a washing machine company as major sponsors so probably about right but now EPL sponsors own airlines, banks and basicallly countries so another ridiculous comparison from the old guy.

@Rico are you a LFC supporter?

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
The only real point i take from this article is the lack of players we have in the emerging origin squad. I dont think we have been left behind in terms of our recruitment, we just imo haven't changed how to we do things to stay ahead of other clubs recruiting players we used to get. It something we need to look at.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

You can take food in. I regularly take chicken rolls in there. You just can’t take commercial food in like Maccas, KFC etc.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Morkel
  • Alec
  • Sproj
  • Aldo
  • Midean
  • I bleed Maroon
  • marw
  • Howie
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • Justwin
  • Behind enemy lines
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.