NEWS Broncos founder decries state of the club and endorse second Brisbane NRL side

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
The Broncos aren't the same team because the rules aren't the same. Let the clubs go free without all of these ridiculous caps and we will win every year. The comp is almost completely level because every single team has their own advantages and every team has scouts in Brisbane these days.

A 2nd Brisbane team would hinder every single club in the NRL, not just us. Imagine if all of the players from QLD left their NSW clubs to return home instead of just some of them?
Well, that has me convinced... do it! :superhappythumbsup:

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
Karmichael Hunt, Jake Granville, Ben Hunt anybody?

hunt went to afl so he is an exclusion and prob a good thing he did leave given his off field exploits. granville was hardly poached for big money, and hunt is an established first grade player.
taylor got a chance to play grade elsewhere so you cant say he was poached when bennett let him go. arrow was told to look elsewhere.
ill give you norman.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
The Broncos aren't the same team because the rules aren't the same. Let the clubs go free without all of these ridiculous caps and we will win every year. The comp is almost completely level because every single team has their own advantages and every team has scouts in Brisbane these days.

A 2nd Brisbane team would hinder every single club in the NRL, not just us. Imagine if all of the players from QLD left their NSW clubs to return home instead of just some of them?

That’s not a new wish list to 2018. Queensland clubs have been singing that song for 40 years. The Broncos have always had to deal with that problem and before that it drove BRL clubs to the ground.

Four of the Brothers premiership side in '87 went just to Dragons. Two to the Broncos.

Broncos first game against Norths: French, French, Rea, Bella, Smith and Boustead.
Raiders: Belcher, Jackson, Coyne, Backo, Walters.

It didn’t get any better. Have a look at the Sharks under Lang.
Rogers, Green, Greenhill, Jones and Lang.

Storm recruit well from Queensland now.
Broncos used to overcome it.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
I don't understand how he has said anything that plenty others haven't said.

Broncos aren't producing talent like they used to- read that plenty of times. Broncos aren't the powerhouse with crowds and on the field they were- read that too.

Maybe a second team will rejuvenated Brisbane a little bit- if the sponsorship dollars are there.

Emerging squad argument isn't much chop. It's the smallest group the QRL have taken. 2017 we only had Hunt and Milford and they have both played Origin since then.
As what's been already said,

Broncos no longer have the pick of the juniors like they once did. Nothing they've done wrong, just different systems along with the rise of the cowboys as a genuine successful club.

Crowd numbers are down across the whole game to what they once were. Broadcasting experience has improved so much that the game day experience hasn't been able to keep up and evolve.

Can't see how a 2nd team will improve any of that. Him saying that a second team would help all those things is insulting to the club. He specifically says, "a new club with a different direction / vision".. saying, the current club is turning people away because of something specific they're doing, namely, not having more premierships in recent years.

When in fact the Broncos still have one of the better game day experiences and best crowd numbers in the game while also securing the most members and ratings than any other club.

He's just shitting on the club and it is insulting.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
its highlighted how we dont have any players in the emerging squad - quite sad to be honest.

Easy not to have players in the emerging squad when we do all the work to get them ready for the NRL, only to have other teams swoop in with big offers that we can't match due to a little thing called the salary cap.

what is indirectly highlighted in the article is also that there are several players in the emerging squad (or just having made their origin debuts) that came through the Broncos system all the way to first grade before leaving for better $$$$

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
As what's been already said,

Broncos no longer have the pick of the juniors like they once did. Nothing they've done wrong, just different systems along with the rise of the cowboys as a genuine successful club.

Crowd numbers are down across the whole game to what they once were. Broadcasting experience has improved so much that the game day experience hasn't been able to keep up and evolve.

Can't see how a 2nd team will improve any of that. Him saying that a second team would help all those things is insulting to the club. He specifically says, "a new club with a different direction / vision".. saying, the current club is turning people away because of something specific they're doing, namely, not having more premierships in recent years.

When in fact the Broncos still have one of the better game day experiences and best crowd numbers in the game while also securing the most members and ratings than any other club.

He's just shitting on the club and it is insulting.

As I have already said, the Broncos used to overcome this. Queenslanders in the NRL is about 25%. Would that be any different than 30 years ago?

Redcliffe lost 30 players at the end of '87 to NSWRL clubs across their three grades. Brothers their grand final opponents lost Coyne, Gill, Bailey, Mohr and Carter to the Dragons. Vernom and Stafford to the Eels. Kilroy and Le Man to Brisbane. Rea and Smith went to the Bears.

41 players from the two Grand Final clubs.

Recruiting from Queensland isn't new. So it can't be just other clubs take players from Queensland because that has always been the case.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
There was never this much money in the game. Many players still had day jobs. You played footy for the love and the glory. It was only the elites that would earn big money.

Now players can earn enough to set themselves up for life. An extra 20% will often be more than the average wage extra. I guess that could be seen as an ironic eventuality if the Super League war. Players were finally being paid glamour money, but it meant that the money became more important than your club or your chance at a Premiership.

You could probably even trace our supposed decline back to those years in the late ‘90’s. We were THE glamour club that everyone wanted to play for, but over time with the salary cap and the dollars, players could now be payed the glamour dollars anywhere - even more at clubs that sucked and had to pay overs.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
As I have already said, the Broncos used to overcome this. Queenslanders in the NRL is about 25%. Would that be any different than 30 years ago?

Redcliffe lost 30 players at the end of '87 to NSWRL clubs across their three grades. Brothers their grand final opponents lost Coyne, Gill, Bailey, Mohr and Carter to the Dragons. Vernom and Stafford to the Eels. Kilroy and Le Man to Brisbane. Rea and Smith went to the Bears.

41 players from the two Grand Final clubs.

Recruiting from Queensland isn't new. So it can't be just other clubs take players from Queensland because that has always been the case.

100% true but I imagine it's far harder to manage with the amount of money in the game.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I think society has changed too. Once you didn't move too far from home. Your whole family probably moved out and still lived 10 minutes away. For a kid like Renouf moving to Brisbane from Murgon would have been about as much as he could handle and even then it challenged him. Now he'd be in Sydney at 17 no worries and think nothing of it.

Alf stayed at home while he was at the Broncos first, until the drive wore him down and then he had to tell his parents he was moving out.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
i'm struggling to see what maranta is on about. For starting our team, we shall be in his debt, but it doesn't give him authority of wisdom upon their current state of affairs. It's worth noting for all the passion and exitement of their first season, the broncos had the lowest crowd figures of their history, their funding was a haphazard affair due to the nature of the bid, and there were a number of players on the their books that fizzled in that first year, and they failed to make the finals. They got the coach right, and he is our current coach. We have the best crowd figures in the NRL, the most profitable franchise, some of the most exiting junior forwards on the verge of brilliance, two of the best halves in under 21's queensland league, and a potential star in dargan from NSW.
Thats not even mentioning bevy of fringe players like Offa or TPJ, who are set to cement their future with us, or the superstars of the game that are regular 1st graders (roberts, boyd, bird, milford etc.)
Sure there are some NSW faces in our team. Matterson and Johns were also from NSW, but great broncos. It may be that some of our team fizzle or break down, or strategies dont work sometimes, but that why we watch sport. We want success but it's value lies in the way we are tested getting there. It's a testament to the success of the team and club that 3rd on the ladder for one of the richest clubs (any sport) in the country is seen as a failure.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Meh. The old boy hasn't been in the papers in a while and is still bitter that Corey Oates was a better option than Lachlan. Typical off-season tripe.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Actually shocked this meme wasn't posted yet...

297.png

The NRL needs to sort Sydney out before looking at adding new teams. It's as simple as that.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
There was never this much money in the game. Many players still had day jobs. You played footy for the love and the glory. It was only the elites that would earn big money.

Now players can earn enough to set themselves up for life. An extra 20% will often be more than the average wage extra. I guess that could be seen as an ironic eventuality if the Super League war. Players were finally being paid glamour money, but it meant that the money became more important than your club or your chance at a Premiership.

You could probably even trace our supposed decline back to those years in the late ‘90’s. We were THE glamour club that everyone wanted to play for, but over time with the salary cap and the dollars, players could now be payed the glamour dollars anywhere - even more at clubs that sucked and had to pay overs.
Exactly. The times have changed so much to the point where it isn't even the same competition anymore. So many variable factors now. Salary cap for starters. That's even ever changing. If it wasn't set to rise this year I dare say we'd still have Ben Hunt, and/or would have been able to get Taylor back off loan.

Rico

Rico

QCup Player
Jun 4, 2016
On the sponsorship side.. that’s when Liverpool had a paint shop and then a washing machine company as major sponsors so probably about right but now EPL sponsors own airlines, banks and basicallly countries so another ridiculous comparison from the old guy.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
i'm struggling to see what maranta is on about. For starting our team, we shall be in his debt, but it doesn't give him authority of wisdom upon their current state of affairs. It's worth noting for all the passion and exitement of their first season, the broncos had the lowest crowd figures of their history, their funding was a haphazard affair due to the nature of the bid, and there were a number of players on the their books that fizzled in that first year, and they failed to make the finals. They got the coach right, and he is our current coach. We have the best crowd figures in the NRL, the most profitable franchise, some of the most exiting junior forwards on the verge of brilliance, two of the best halves in under 21's queensland league, and a potential star in dargan from NSW.
Thats not even mentioning bevy of fringe players like Offa or TPJ, who are set to cement their future with us, or the superstars of the game that are regular 1st graders (roberts, boyd, bird, milford etc.)
Sure there are some NSW faces in our team. Matterson and Johns were also from NSW, but great broncos. It may be that some of our team fizzle or break down, or strategies dont work sometimes, but that why we watch sport. We want success but it's value lies in the way we are tested getting there. It's a testament to the success of the team and club that 3rd on the ladder for one of the richest clubs (any sport) in the country is seen as a failure.

You can disagree with his points but you can't fairly disregard what he's done to start the Broncos.

First privately owned club and no reliance on pokies. Just sponsorship. It had never been done, if people don't sponsor or come to games the Broncos die.

Powers gave them a million dollars- no product, no team to sponsor yet, wasn't allowed to have Power's at Lang Park or any signs. He got nothing for his money. Unheard of sponsorship level.

Broncos were still fighting the loyalty factor, plenty of people weren't letting go of their local loyalty- I am Norths man I'll be at Bash Up on Sunday not those Broncos. 1988 wasn't going to crack that straight away. Maranta was also responsible for the biggest ever crowds in the club's history at ANZ and the bold move. 12 months later against Parramatta 1989 was the club's first sell out so they did pretty well.

Paid the players and offered security- $1500 a win had never been heard of- $500 a loss.

Day they got the license put in $100,000 of his own money to get it going.

Got the QRL clubs on board, after the initial vote going against their bid, reversed 10-0.

They understood the travel costs would be picked up for the other teams by the NSWRL not for Brisbane they aren't. NSWRL granted the Coast and Newcastle $50,000 not Brisbane. They overcame all that.

Bennett was responsible for the players but you can credit these guys with Ribot, Edwards, Canavan, Keliher and Connell. The staff that would stay for a long time.

I think he's allowed to comment on the Broncos.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Broadcasting experience has improved so much that the game day experience hasn't been able to keep up and evolve.

This is a huge observation. I was a full member for 21 years. Then I suddenly realized I was paying exorbitant prices for weak as beer in a plastic cup (and my choice of beer was limited too). The food was way overpriced and typical heart-attack inducing swill. I had great seats but watching it on TV allowed me to pause/rewind at my leisure and grab any sort of drink I fancied. The prices they are asking nowadays just don't equate to value. Sure we all want the club to flourish (We were the only club to make a profit last year) but we're not mugs and demand value for our hard earned.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • marw
  • GCBRONCO
  • Howie
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Morkel
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • Sproj
  • Midean
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.