Broncos give Kodi Nikorima six weeks to prove himself ahead of Jack Bird’s transfer decision

if you read the article it sounds like Bennett is also planning for life after Blair retires since he is about 32. i.e. Bird to lock and McGuire back to the front row.

Also if the article is right, we will be chasing an established half should Nikorima not prove over the next 6 weeks that he is the man for the job. :confusing:
I'd say they are chasing an established half regardless. If they wait six weeks, the options might be thin. Giving Kodi hope is a ploy to keep his confidence high through these next few games but there is no way in the world that he will ever be the Bronco's first choice #7.

I'd say they are chasing an established half regardless. If they wait six weeks, the options might be thin. Giving Kodi hope is a ploy to keep his confidence high through these next few games but there is no way in the world that he will ever be the Bronco's first choice #7.

then it would be interesting to know who we are targeting here are the halves (both halfback and 5/8) off contract at season's end according to zero tackle

Luke Brooks, Fa'amanu Brown, Mitch Cornish, Cooper Cronk, Michael Doolan, Jaelen Feeney, Ata Hingano, Ryley Jacks, Shaun Johnson, Luke Kelly, Kyle Laybutt, Mason Lino, Josh McCrone, Anthony Milford, Darren Nicholls, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Jordan Rankin, Tyrone Roberts, Jeff Robson, Johnathan Thurston, Gareth Widdop, Blake Ayshford, Jack Bird, Erin Clark, Lachlan Croker, Kieran Foran, Drew Hutchison, Samisoni Langi, Jack Littlejohn, Benji Marshall, Daniel Mortimer, Mitchell Moses, Shaun Nona, Will Pearsall, Josh Reynolds, Nathaniel Roache, Will Smith, John Sutton, Ray Thompson, Chad Townsend.

The bolded are the only ones that i would consider to be an "established half" at NRL level.

of them the only ones i would chase (that haven't already signed) are:

Shaun Johnson
Gareth Widdop
Kieran Foran

note: i have disregarded Cronk (because he will 100% be in Sydney) and Thurston (because he will finish up at the Cowboys)

Are you involved with the club some way? Not being a dick, just wondering because you always say things like "that won't be happening" and "that will never happen" is this your inside info? Or just your opinion?

I can't see us signing a halfback... i think we will have to make do with what we have for 2018 and sign someone for 2019 if we still need to.

As for Bird i would love him here. Played origin and a grand final at 21 and showed plenty of maturity, physical and mental toughness. Watching him play on with that injury in the GF and the runs he was making really stood out to me.

As for his position i'd play him at left centre if we signed him. He obviously has skill and potential to play a number of positions but he is only 22 and has played about 50 games. Why do people want to rush him into a different position when he is such a good centre? Look at Hodgo, he was one of our best players and played out most of his career there. Inglis, Boyd etc had to all bide their time before moving to the spine. Just because Bird aparently wants to play a spine position doesn't mean he has to right now, he has another 10+ years ahead of him. As for him playing lock, i wouldn't do that for years... especially when we don't really have anyone locking down left centre. And i'm uncertain if all the defence will nullify his best qualities. He might make a better 2nd rower like Wade Graham in the future rather than lock. Time will tell but at this stage i'd keep him at centre.

Last edited:
Are you involved with the club some way? Not being a dick, just wondering because you always say things like "that won't be happening" and "that will never happen" is this your inside info? Or just your opinion?
A bit of both as my neighbour is a well known former Bronco and a lot of my opinions are based on his. But a lot of it is solely based on my viewpoint like the famous one "Moga will never play a first grade game for the Broncos" or "Alex Glenn won't be re-signed". I occasionally eat my words but I am right on this one, Kodi isn't the man for the job and my neighbour agrees with me.

A bit of both as my neighbour is a well known former Bronco and a lot of my opinions are based on his. But a lot of it is solely based on my viewpoint like the famous one "Moga will never play a first grade game for the Broncos" or "Alex Glenn won't be re-signed". I occasionally eat my words but I am right on this one, Kodi isn't the man for the job and my neighbour agrees with me.

Doesn't mean Bennett agrees with your neighbour[emoji14]

Fair enough, as long as your neighbour isn't Tallis anyway.....

For what we are allegedly going to pay for him, he will want to play a very important positions
You don't pay that kind of money for a centre

Having a top tier centre seems to be working well for Canberra, even Melbourne have Chambers who'd be on a fair bit of coin. Hell, without Roberts our attack would be ordinary.

As an aside, what about Moga at lock or in the forwards somewhere? He's mobile, big, and makes plenty of metres. Just a thought.

Having a top tier centre seems to be working well for Canberra, even Melbourne have Chambers who'd be on a fair bit of coin. Hell, without Roberts our attack would be ordinary.

As an aside, what about Moga at lock or in the forwards somewhere? He's mobile, big, and makes plenty of metres. Just a thought.

How about Moga playing ISC ... just a thought

This article has a whiff of BS to me.

It was good to get some quotes from Bennett but at no point did he say that Nikorima has 6 weeks to prove himself. The journo seems to have pulled that arbitrary deadline out of his arse.

No way in the world Bennett puts that much pressure on a player and the Broncos don't decide their roster on the next six weeks.

Regardless of hpw he goes he is very much in the Broncos' long term plans.

I hope we sign Jack Bird and I don't care where he plays. We need experience and he has the best kind - a premiership against a team that we seem to struggle against. Who wouldn't want to sign that? Our record against the Storm started to improve when we pinched Folau from them.

Still think we should make a play for Widdop. Top player as well as a handy goal kicker if Kahu is injured.

This article has a whiff of BS to me.

It was good to get some quotes from Bennett but at no point did he say that Nikorima has 6 weeks to prove himself. The journo seems to have pulled that arbitrary deadline out of his arse.

No way in the world Bennett puts that much pressure on a player and the Broncos don't decide their roster on the next six weeks.

Regardless of hpw he goes he is very much in the Broncos' long term plans.

I hope we sign Jack Bird and I don't care where he plays. We need experience and he has the best kind - a premiership against a team that we seem to struggle against. Who wouldn't want to sign that? Our record against the Storm started to improve when we pinched Folau from them.

Still think we should make a play for Widdop. Top player as well as a handy goal kicker if Kahu is injured.

We better get a wriggle on then, talk on social media is that the Wests Tigers are poised to offer him $800K per season.

We better get a wriggle on then, talk on social media is that the Wests Tigers are poised to offer him $800K per season.

I'm sure the England coach probably has no trouble getting in contact with Gareth.

Maybe it's Ian Lacey
I hope you're not poking fun at him. He had more heart than most that play this game. It is very unfortunate the way his career panned out. He is still one of my favorite all time Broncos along with Chris Walker and Dave Taylor.

It is very unfortunate the way his career panned out. .
no it isn't, him and John Te Reo thought they were awesome and beat the shit out of someone after a booze session.

Just after breaking into the first team.

They self-sabotaged, nothing unfortunate about that.

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Mighty Bronx
  • ettybay
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.