Broncos give Kodi Nikorima six weeks to prove himself ahead of Jack Bird’s transfer decision

If he only talked to us to get a higher offer from the Sharks, that's fantastic. I hope every player talks to us before re-signing.

Someone else said Broncos haven't heard anything from him in 2 days . Not overly concerned but bennets strike rate is taking a hit if so.
He's missed a few that the media have said we are chasing. The media claims we have chased every player that has been off contract over the last few years. I literally have no sympathy when media companies need to make cuts or magazines go bust anymore. Glorified bloggers who make shit up.

He's missed a few that the media have said we are chasing. The media claims we have chased every player that has been off contract over the last few years. I literally have no sympathy when media companies need to make cuts or magazines go bust anymore. Glorified bloggers who make shit up.

Agreed

BRISBANE coach Wayne Bennett has given Kodi Nikorima six weeks to prove himself as a halfback as Jack Bird faces a $1.2 million sacrifice by joining the Broncos.
The Broncos are sweating on a decision from Bird, who will advise Brisbane hierarchy in the next 48 hours whether he will accept a three-year deal worth $2.1 million.
The signing of Bird would have major ramifications for the composition of Brisbane’s starting side next season. The Courier-Mail can reveal:

* Nikorima has six games to prove to Bennett he has a future as a Broncos No.7 after being named as injured Ben Hunt’s replacement for the Titans derby on Friday night;
* If supersub Nikorima fails to fire, Bennett will go to the open market to sign a marquee, fully-fledged halfback;
* Bennett has no plans to shift Anthony Milford — despite speculation the five-eighth will be moved to halfback to accommodate Bird; and
* The super coach will resist a temptation to move Darius Boyd into the halves, believing his skipper is best suited at fullback or centre.
Speaking for the first time about Brisbane’s pursuit of Bird, Bennett confirmed his interest, but there is no guarantee his signing would unseat Milford from the famous No.6 jumper.

“I’m interested in Jack Bird,” Bennett told The Courier-Mail on Tuesday.
“We’re interested, just like Newcastle or Cronulla. Jack Bird is a quality football player and he’s young.”
Asked if Milford would be moved to halfback to partner Bird in the halves, Bennett said: “No, that’s not been thought of or discussed.
“We’ve lost a quality player in Ben Hunt, we’ve got money in the cap to fill his place and that’s what our aim is.”
Bennett is adamant the Milford-Nikorima scrumbase alliance that will face the Titans can flourish and believes Bird could be a potent force in the lock position.
That scenario would enable Josh McGuire to return to the front row as Brisbane prepare for life after Adam Blair, who will be 32 when he comes off-contract next year.

On Tuesday Brisbane hierarchy were finalising their offer to Bird. The NSW Origin star will be offered a three-year deal worth $700,000 annually, well short of the massive $1.1m-a-season contract tabled by the Knights.
The Broncos are quietly confident of securing Bird but admit if the 22-year-old’s decision is motivated by money, they will lose out. Amid the Bird bidding war, Bennett is challenging Nikorima to step up.
The Kiwi Test utility has played 37 games off the bench for the Broncos but fancies himself as a halfback and Bennett has given him a six-week window to convince him he’s the successor to Hunt.
“We’ll back Kodi 100 per cent,” skipper Boyd said. “He’s trained well so far this week and has played for New Zealand in the halves so he’s a quality player.
“Kodi has a role and it’s not Ben Hunt’s role, it’s his role, so we just want him to play his game and do his best for the team.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n/news-story/b096ee7d6dbce84949fe23765b8e9ac7

Not sure about Bird in lock, would imagine he would need to bulk up a little bit but I definitely think he has a lot of talent and would like him in the club. I do think he could be an amazing fullback though and move Boyd to the centres.

1. Bird
2. Kahu
3. Roberts
4. Boyd
5. Mead (I think his inclusion in the 17 could be indicating the transition of Oates to the second row. Perhaps when Thaiday comes off, Oates may move in to second row with mead coming on to the wing).
6. Milford
7. Nikorima (first shot, possibly Scarlett or an import down the track)

looks like a nice backline to me

Probably his managements plan all along, get us involved so that the Sharks get spooked and up their offer. Smart play, he'll stay in the Shire.
Don't count him out yet, he is still a 95% chance of wearing Bronco colours next year. He has already told some of his teammates that he is heading north next year.

Don't count him out yet, he is still a 95% chance of wearing Bronco colours next year. He has already told some of his teammates that he is heading north next year.

Newcastle is north of the shire :P

If we lose Bird we should 100% chase Foran. We have the cash, and it comes with the side benefit of rendering Melbourne useless next season. Shaun Johnson would be another option, but surely the Warriors won't lose him.

Shit, I never thought of that. You really don't want him here, do you? Please tell me it's not a Qld/NSW thing.

it's not that i don't want him here ... he is a quality player.

it's more that i don't think he is a priority recruitment. Personally, i think our priority should be a top level half to replace Hunt. I am concerned that Nikorima is not the man we need to partner Milford (although he could very well prove me wrong over the next 6 weeks)

and i think we are well served in the back row. with Arrow and TPJ (I rate both very highly)

I also don't think we need to spend the money on him at center (I have been vocal on the fact that I want Kahu in the centers to replace Moga)

I personally don't rate Arrow that highly.

I personally don't rate Arrow that highly.

you need to watch more of him.

the problem is how we are using him ... he isn't your impact player, he is the workhorse that gets through big minutes, plenty of tackles. he also has a nice offload.

perfect as a starting lock ... not as effective off the bench

WAYNE Bennett says Jack Bird would be the perfect fit for the Broncos but admits there is no guarantee the NSW Origin star will join the club.
The Broncos are sweating on an answer from Bird with the 22-year-old expected to make a definitive call in the next 24 hours.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.