Broncos Halves Analysis: Short kicks in opposition 30

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Here it is.

Every short kick in the opposition 30 from Anthony Milford and Ben Hunt in 2016.

Note: Before people start going on about who was right and who was wrong, you should wait until I'm done. One season where both halves were out of form for a large part of it is not an accurate representation of their kicking. I will be uploading videos from the 2014 & 2015 season, as well.

However, the people saying Milford doesn't kick much and most of Hunt's short kicks hit the opposition players really need to watch this video.. It might be an eye-opening experience.

First of all, thanks for the great work SF!

My take, based on kick weight, accuracy and timing:

Milford 36 good kicks, 13 bad
Hunt 23 good kicks, 28 bad

My criteria:

I base the above on results first of course, but also ignoring little things like an unfavourable bounce ruining the result (good kick nonetheless), or whether a kick had no chance of a positive result (bad kick).
Good result is a try, a repeat set, or pinning the opposition in their 10. Bad result is anything else.

For example, there is a try for Hunt resulting from a double rebound, where the first kick hits the opposition's legs, and bounces straight onto Hunt's foot, and ends up in the try area, with Hunt pouncing on it. The kick is in my opinion bad in the first place, but counts as good because of its result.

I think most Milford kicks are straight forward enough, but I can imagine there will contention in regards to some of Hunt's kicks.

I have counted multiple kicks from Ben as good, because our chasers were the ones not taking advantage of them, and others which didn't go out or bounced on legs as bad, because there was no chance of a Bronco chaser even getting close to them, releasing the pressure on the opposition.

Milford 36 good kicks, 13 bad
Hunt 23 good kicks, 28 bad

I didn't properly count, but that's roughly about where I think I landed as well, give or take a couple.

The whole "Kicking in to legs" thing was actually pretty even overall, they're both guilty of doing it far too often. But once again we come back to the same old argument - Hunt is older, more experienced and is the "primary playmaker", he should be better than Milford in this department, a lot better, and he's not.

James Roberts kick in there too lol

Surely the Hunt lovers weren't impressed with that?

My opinion is that hunt doesn't have any idea when it comes to repeat sets because he waits too long.

James Roberts kick in there too lol

Surely the Hunt lovers weren't impressed with that?
mpm0X.gif

Holy shit that was frustrating to watch. I'm not trying to be deliberately anti-Hunt, but he just seemed so much worse than Milford in that.

It evened out towards the end numbers-wise, but with Hunt there is just such a huge difference between good and bad. When good, it does it's job in getting the repeat set or try, but when bad, it's absolutely horrible, sometimes even missing the ball completely. A lot of wrong options too, making the bad kicks look worse

And I saw at least 50% more kicks into opposition from Hunt, or at least it resulted in more lost possession. Put it down to bad luck maybe vs Milford in that respect.

Freaky, that was a great effort. Thanks for that.

I saw a damn lot of really below par kicks in that video, some of them were just stupid, ill placed woefully bad decisions. A lot went to legs but even then the kick wasn't on in the first place. There was no need for it. I would rather see it hit the sideline than go straight to a defender or into the legs of the defender.

I would have to Agree with @Allo in most of that, I can see the intention is there but the execution is poor and it seems to be in both players game to just put it on the boot and hope. The aim is bad and it looked rushed most of the time. I would say that comes down to them thinking they see something that isn't there or just being too close to the defensive line on some plays whereas in others they are kicking for someone who doesn't realise that it is meant for them.

Great video but hard to watch. The number of times we could have put teams away with better options is really frustrating.

Also how many god damn times did they kick on the third or fourth? Too many.

Yep. Yes, Officer, that's what I'm saying.
I know. I know it does. I'm just telling you what I saw.
Yep, all of them. Well at the start it was just a few of them. But then, like, everyone joined in.
A video, yeah.
All the kicks. Yes. YES. All of them. Within the 30 or something. I thought that too, good work by Super Freak. But then, like, they still couldn't agree.
No, no. Not kids. Grown men. I think anyway, it's the Internet, who really knows.
I'm telling you. This is what I saw.
Yep.
Yep.
Exactly.
Yep. Yes. Yes. YES. I swear to you. They were arguing about these fucking kicks and then the fucking internet or whatever just like, opened up, swallowed them all whole. Like something out of a fucking Stephen King novel.
Oh ****, I just saw one of them moving and the ground is opening again. Oh ****. Oh ****, just fucking get here now HOLY SHIT IS THAT BEN HUNT'S FUCKING FOOTY BOOT EATING THAT GUY'S FA..........*

Were they pringles from the store or a special kind of pringles?

I haven't even sat down to watch it yet. This just turned in to a massive clusterfuck, it's hilarious. Watching it now will probably cheapen the experience, because right now I'm picturing either a Saintly Hunt gliding around, popping well-weighted grubbers and rescuing trapped orphans from a raging inferno, or, Hunt himself started the inferno after accidentally kicking the ball in to Level 5 and exploding two gas tanks right next to those orphan school excursion kids. Nothing in between.

Shit mate wait until we get to his long kicks...

Shit mate wait until we get to his long kicks...

His long kicking isn't bad.

Neither are his bombs.

Those two areas of his kicking are his strongest points and the two areas where he is better than Milford.

His long kicking isn't bad.

Neither are his bombs.

Those two areas of his kicking are his strongest points and the two areas where he is better than Milford.

I disagree. There is what is known as the 'Hunt Bomb'. Milford has a much better distance maker, but less polished attacking bomb than Hunt. The problem with Hunt's bombs is you get the feeling he couldn't make up his mind quick enough and it just sort of plops.

Hunts long kicking game was superb, that's one thing that actually made him a decent half.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Thelmus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.