Broncos Halves Analysis: Short kicks in opposition 30

A bit harsh on Milf about not closing it out in the '15 decider (if I'm reading these posts right, sorry if not), he was easily the best on field and was giving the Broncos every opportunity to win. I'd say the failure to close it out was more due to our 7 and 9 who changed the game plan to just hold on and hope (or implode).
I think that final, like more than a few of our games, our players ran out of petrol and our senior players failed to recognise that, all of them. It happened a fair bit last year as well, and time and again we'd have tired forwards taking on set lines with the same strategies we had when we were fresh. The ball would get thrown around in desperation, hoping our skill (which sometime it did) would get us out of trouble. If we some did do that, or our opponents give us a break with a mistake, instead of consolidating the advantage, with repeat sets or maintaining field position, we'd play an all or nothing attempt to score. Its both exciting to watch but incredibly frustrating as well. It feeds into the fitness imbalance that is playing out and the game runs away from us.

Point being that if the coach, assistant coaches, captain, senior players work to read the energy levels of the team in relation to their opponents and play the game accordingly, taking risks sure, but knowing when, the team would flog just about anyone they meet. I remember various times when parker and Maguire would push a pass, thinking they would get a magical play happening and the team was out on its feet, but we were ahead. Im sure there were others but those two were in my head, and neither of them kick, but both of them are leaders of sorts. An ordinary kicker can look a whole lot better when the team is fresh because its not coming off a repeat set of defence or he has just been making a cover tackle. Start repairing that problem by making sure EVERYONE knows when it is on and when it is not and making sure when it is NOT, the senior players take charge ie safe hit ups and touch finders. Sometimes you're tired but the oppositions worse, and you role the dice but 2 halves can't be the only ones to know when or if.

Cowboys ruined Hodges 2015 farewell. Then Parkers last year.

I just want it to be us to ruin Thurston's, when the day comes.

Me too, but not just by winning. I want us to make him play so bad that he is hooked by half time.

All to often though his long kicks find the opposition on the full. Very frustrating..

Yes, and he can't kick for position consistently to save his life. He may be better suited to number six.

Yes, and he can't kick for position consistently to save his life. He may be better suited to number six.
Stop channelling me so much, it's creepy. :pokeytongue:

If Hunt and Widdop go well together, that will be interesting because that will be the kind of half we should use to compliment Milf.

If Hunt and Widdop go well together, that will be interesting because that will be the kind of half we should use to compliment Milf.
Widdop is a 5/8 too... and the problems with Hunt will be similar to the ones with Benji. I wonder whether Hutchinson would make a better partner to either of them, but to be honest I don't know young Drew's ability to control a game or complement Widdop or Hunt.

Funnily enough, I've always seen Widdop as a halfback, not there is that much difference these days, but I always felt the Dragons had their playmakers the wrong way round.

I have to say, looking at Milford's kicking in that video and watching it this year, there has been a lot of improvement.

I have to say, looking at Milford's kicking in that video and watching it this year, there has been a lot of improvement.

This. Milfords kicking hasn't been too bad this week. Last week, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't he get us 2 repeat sets in a row?

I don't remember the last time I've seen the Broncos get multiple repeat sets from a grubber

They have both been a shitload better recently. It wasn't that long ago that 2 in 3 grubber kicks used to hit the legs.

This. Milfords kicking hasn't been too bad this week. Last week, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't he get us 2 repeat sets in a row?

I don't remember the last time I've seen the Broncos get multiple repeat sets from a grubber
Don't mention that, you'll set the flock of geese off about getting repeat sets being more important than scoring tries (despite the fact that angle was never argued)

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • porouian
  • Howie
  • Johnny92
  • Gaz
  • broncsgoat
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncoscope
  • BroncosMan
  • YeahNahMate
  • Redfern_1980
  • Redux
  • Hurrijo
  • winslow_wong
  • MrTickyMcG
  • BroncosAlways
  • Dash
  • Financeguy
  • bert_lifts
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.