Broncos Halves Analysis: Short kicks in opposition 30

I actually lay more blame on Milford than Hunt or McCullough. McCullough very well could have passed to Parker who could have tripped and dropped the ball and well, anyone can drop the ball from the kick off. However, Milford makes a break with 40 seconds to go on the halfway line and decides to offload to Hunt who has the ball stripped. How about wrapping up the ball and taking the tackle?

Just another reason why laying the entire blame (as many people do) at Hunt's feet is complete BS

Just another reason why laying the entire blame (as many people do) at Hunt's feet is complete BS

It's like 70/30 Hunt/Oates.

That wrapping the ball up and taking the tackle...surely that refers to Hunt and not getting the ball stripped more than Milf looking for the killer blow after yet another great run.

I disagree with the assertion that the Broncos struggle against the top teams. 'More often than not' they actually play well against those sides, even in defeat and it's usually a combination of factors before last tackle kicking becomes a factor.

For instance, in last year's result against the Cowboys, the Broncos were on top with three minutes to go. Milford made an incisive run that busted them open only to lose the ball and give the Cowboys a seven tackle set. Cows make it all the way down deep into Broncos territory, and one of the best defensive players in the game decided to use his legs instead of his shoulders to tackle.

Game, set and match.

People see what they want to see out of those matches. For some it's proof that the Broncos defensive style isn't good enough, the Broncos pack isn't strong enough, the Broncos backs aren't potent enough, this player struggles, that player is selfish. That could all be true, but the asterix that it's apparent against the top teams, or the players struggle against the top teams doesn't hold much weight. It's simply a case of Brisbane losing those games and fans performing a post mortem that hinges on confirmation bias.

It's like 70/30 Hunt/Oates.

That wrapping the ball up and taking the tackle...surely that refers to Hunt and not getting the ball stripped more than Milf looking for the killer blow after yet another great run.

or Milf takes the tackle and takes his time to play the ball... all of a sudden there is no chance for Hunt to have the ball stripped, Oates to come in from his wing and Hunt to drop the ball from the kickoff.

Personally, I think Bennett wanted them to do that.

I think he took the same approach as he did with the Storm in 2006.

That was 10 years ago, and the approach wasn't to kick for touch. It was going set for set, matching Melbourne at their own game and beating them with experience. Then when they're frustrated, beat them with second phase around the middle so the strike players like Locky, Hodges and Berro could take full control.

It took them all of sixty minutes, but they eventually cracked Melbourne. A speculator winds up in the hands of Lockyer, the guy who puts himself in the right place at the right time and the rest is history.

I don't think Bennett informed the 2015 side to go away from what they were doing. Before Gillett was tackled off the ball by JT, the Broncos were playing exactly as you'd expect them to. From there it seemed like a lot of the fifth tackle plays were rushed or just took unfortunate bounces.

or Milf takes the tackle and takes his time to play the ball... all of a sudden there is no chance for Hunt to have the ball stripped, Oates to come in from his wing and Hunt to drop the ball from the kickoff.

Milf takes the tackle, Hunt at dummy. Has ball stripped anyway.

Milf takes the tackle, Hunt at dummy. Has ball stripped anyway.

Milf takes the tackle, gets a slow play the ball and Hunt boots it over the sideline, scrum doesn't have time to pack ... Broncos are premiers.

that's just as likely (if not more likely) than Hunt having the ball stripped from dummy half ... next

Milf takes the tackle, gets a slow play the ball and Hunt boots it over the sideline, scrum doesn't have time to pack ... Broncos are premiers.

that's just as likely (if not more likely) than Hunt having the ball stripped from dummy half ... next

Hunt gets an important kick right?

Either way, putting Milf up there next to Hunt or Oates for losing the gf in any way is silly.

The reason we lost that GF was the defensive line rushing up and all falling over like bad stunt actors as though they were tripping over themselves melodramaticly. Watch the footage and tell me every player made the best decision in their defensive style to shut down a 5th tackle play and they weren't just diving at players sloppily due to the scoreboard and few seconds remaining.

Why i don't buy it was Oates or Hunt at all. It was the entire team who granted were exhausted.. but none of them kept their line. Blair was first. Macca was next. Blair again. Then Parker. Then they weren't sliding hard enough to recover the missed tackle.. if they stayed 1 on 1 and communicated, as a TEAM there's no way they'd have any where near enough space to pull of a BS miracle try like that.

Imagine for hunt.. who was no where near that passage of play that lead to the try was thinking in the next 10mins leading up to dropping a very hard ball top catch that has been proven time again the biggest nightmare in the entire league (given that the safest catcher in the game even dropped it being the Australian fullback and all)

They lost that game as a team. No individual performance cost us. They lost it together by dropping focus on the team mantra until AFTER the final play. Not focal second. Final play. Never will i blame an individual for that loss

Last edited:
Hunt gets an important kick right?

Either way, putting Milf up there next to Hunt or Oates for losing the gf in any way is silly.

I'm not blaming Milf ... I'm just not conforming with the popular opinion and laying the entire blame at Hunt's feet, when there are plenty of other reasons (and players) that caused us to lose the GF including the unnecessary pass from Milford.

I actually think Milford deserved the Clive Churchill medal as he was far better than Thurston, but he was one of many players that made a mistake causing us to lose the GF

I'm not blaming Milf ... I'm just not conforming with the popular opinion and laying the entire blame at Hunt's feet, when there are plenty of other reasons (and players) that caused us to lose the GF including the unnecessary pass from Milford.

I actually think Milford deserved the Clive Churchill medal as he was far better than Thurston, but he was one of many players that made a mistake causing us to lose the GF

Hunt's error simply symbolized the moment it was absolutely over, no chance in hell.

Hunt's error simply symbolized the moment it was absolutely over, no chance in hell.

The game was over when Cowboys scored.

The Broncos were fucked. They had nothing left. The body language said it all. They put all they had into their plan and it didn't work due to an inexperienced player.

9 times out of 10, the team that has the momentum going into extra time wins. A team with Thurston that has the momentum going into extra time wins.

Whether Hunt dropped that ball or not, it was over.

The Broncos were fucked. They had nothing left. The body language said it all. They put all they had into their plan and it didn't work due to an inexperienced player.

9 times out of 10, the team that has the momentum going into extra time wins. A team with Thurston that has the momentum going into extra time wins.

My body language (and verbal language) said it all, remember? :)

Thurston missed the kick to win!

One good set and a kick and it's 50/50, with an advantage to the Broncos.

Thurston missing the kick was just delaying the inevitable.

One good set and a kick? We couldn't even get out of our own end. Not to mention the kicking was average. We were spent.

Cowboys were getting down our end with ease.

Unread

Active Now

• Brotherdu
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • davidp
  • johnny plath
  • Ondi
  • Justwin
  • whykickamoocow
  • Xzei
  • maddo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mr Fourex
  • BroncosAlways
  • john1420
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.