Broncos Keen To Secure Bellamy * BELLAMY SIGNS WITH STORM *

Re: Broncos Keen To Secure Bellamy

Lachy said:
A Draft is a brilliant idea in any sport. Unless, of course you like greed?

Actually it's a restraint of trade. It takes the individual rights of "workers" away by effectively forcing them to work somewhere else. It only works in the AFL because the players association has agreed with its members not to challenge it. As soon as someone is disgruntled enough about being traded somewhere they don't want to go, you watch it go to court and be deemed illegal in a snap of the fingers.

Fair? For even competition, yeah. But not for individual rights.

This isn't the 1920's Chris. Rights? Too bad, take the NFL for example, hundreds of players have been traded off due to their hatred or dislike for a team they were traded too.

It'd be a lot easier in Australia, because say for example, Everybody wants to play for the Broncos. The trade means that the up and coming players who throw themselves into the draft pool get divided up equally for teams.

And of course, you can trade draft picks for players.

A national draft is a brilliant idea. Players rights, too bad. They can move somewhere else after their draft contract expires.

Plus you know, it's all about money anyway.

It's all about money and players' own right to choose where they want to play. I'd kick up a stink if I was drafted off to Souths as a young player, it wouldn't help my career development at all (no office PB).

The draft is a joke, and it only works in AFL and NFL because their players and supporters are mindless zombies always towing the company line with no brains or individuality amongst them.

A draft is an absolutely terrible idea. Self Esteem in players would drop, as would loyalty.

Saying it's all about the money is stupid, there are still plenty of loyal players in the NRL. Be that loyal to clubs, or families.

A draft for the NRL is possibly one of the worst ideas i've ever heard.

Coxy said:
The draft is a joke, and it only works in AFL and NFL because their players and supporters are mindless zombies always towing the company line with no brains or individuality amongst them.

An extremely simplistic way of looking at it I would have thought. The draft works in the NFL because the players union were able to negiotiate a much higher rate of pay proportionate to the income generated in the game than the current NRL players receive, therefore the players are willing to ignore certain "restraints of trade" or whatever you want to call it in return for a higher income in the form of signing bonuses and guaranteed contracts.

if a draft did come in it would kill off any funds for junior development.

what team would want to spend money training these young kids to become first graders and then get drafted to Souths???

Sorry you're right, I did simplify things.

In the NFL's case, it's more that they're all American, and therefore weak as their beer.

I think it would work. Say Israel Folououoouooursaasjhalfksa or whatever is name may be, decides he wants to play for Brisbane before the draft and he would be the number one pick. Say Souths have the number one pick, Brisbane can trade up for more overall spots, or another players Souths may have less stock for, for that Number one position to select Israel.

I just think it makes sense in terms of sharing the wealth.

Coxy said:

In the NFL's case, it's more that they're all American, and therefore weak as their beer.

Hey hey hey. Nothing wrong with some American Beers. Miller Genuine Draught is awesome.

Why share the wealth? It makes no sense in our game to have a draft, sure, it works in AFL and NFL. Whoopee, it would be the worst thing the league could possibly do.

It would cripple the regular player base of teams, ruin structure, and force players to do things that perhaps they don't want to do.

Coxy said:

Wow - nothing like making an informed argument...

Lachy said:
I think it would work. Say Israel Folououoouooursaasjhalfksa or whatever is name may be, decides he wants to play for Brisbane before the draft and he would be the number one pick. Say Souths have the number one pick, Brisbane can trade up for more overall spots, or another players Souths may have less stock for, for that Number one position to select Israel.

I just think it makes sense in terms of sharing the wealth.

Comp is even enough, don't need a draft.

Well how is it with a strong financial backing and a semi-solid playing roster do Souths have to keep buying talent to try and secure a place in the top 8?

Doesn't seem fair to me.

Let's look at the past GF Winners since the NRL started.

Brisbane - 98
Melbourne - 99
Brisbane - 00
Newcastle - 01
Sydney City - 02
Penrith - 03
Bulldogs - 04
West Tigers - 05
Brisbane - 06
Melbourne - 07

Now, who out of those has a strongly developed Youth policy? Brisbane. Newcastle...

Most of them had to solidiy their premierships by buying players from Other more successful teams. Sydney City, ONE Junior. Melbourne.. NONE? Bulldogs... Maybe ONE.

A draft means an even playing field. I just think it would be a great idea to provide a real competition in this country. NRL is getting THUMPED by the AFL in every aspect, the highest crowd average, is a minimum for the AFL. Changes have to be made to increase the level of play and the level of support. 2 Premierships in Melbourne and not even a blip on the radar there. A draft gives the competition a bit more feel to it. Just because Brisbane has won so many premierships doesn't me that the rest of the competition has to suffer because of it.

It just seems like a top idea.

A National Rugby League competion would be a better option than a draft.

The sooner the Bosses realise they need to get rid of half the sydney based teams and make it properly national the better.
We need these teams
Central coast
Another Melbourne
Adelaide
Perth
Darwin
Tasmania
Another NZ
Pacific islands

We currently have 9 teams based in Sydney and 7 for the rest of australia. things need to change.

Lachy said:
Well how is it with a strong financial backing and a semi-solid playing roster do Souths have to keep buying talent to try and secure a place in the top 8?

Doesn't seem fair to me.

Brisbane - 98
Melbourne - 99
Brisbane - 00
Newcastle - 01
Sydney City - 02
Penrith - 03
Bulldogs - 04
West Tigers - 05
Brisbane - 06
Melbourne - 07

Now, who out of those has a strongly developed Youth policy? Brisbane. Newcastle...

Most of them had to solidiy their premierships by buying players from Other more successful teams. Sydney City, ONE Junior. Melbourne.. NONE? Bulldogs... Maybe ONE.

A draft means an even playing field. I just think it would be a great idea to provide a real competition in this country. NRL is getting THUMPED by the AFL in every aspect, the highest crowd average, is a minimum for the AFL. Changes have to be made to increase the level of play and the level of support. 2 Premierships in Melbourne and not even a blip on the radar there. A draft gives the competition a bit more feel to it. Just because Brisbane has won so many premierships doesn't me that the rest of the competition has to suffer because of it.

That proved nothing in your defence really.

The stats above neither say yes we need it, or no we don't. Who cares who bought players? The draft wouldn't do anything different for those useless juniorless clubs, it just means they will be trading their crap players, for other teams good players. Effectivly, doing nothing more than they are currently doing.

Lachy said:

Doesn't seem fair to me.

Brisbane - 98
Melbourne - 99
Brisbane - 00
Newcastle - 01
Sydney City - 02
Penrith - 03
Bulldogs - 04
West Tigers - 05
Brisbane - 06
Melbourne - 07

Do you see the pattern....

98 - Brisbane
99 - Melbourne
00 - Brisbane
NUFFY PREMIERSHIPS
06- Brisbane
07 - Melbourne
08 - ???? Brisbane [icon_shady

Hmm. It just seems to me like "Oh well, our clubs doing well who gives a shit about the rest of the competition".

You couldn't really care less about the competitions status unless Brisbane were in severe financial danger. Or unless, your precious players were traded off. I'm just saying a draft has the appeal of being able to give clubs a great youth roster. Thatssss all.

Lachy said:
Hmm. It just seems to me like "Oh well, our clubs doing well who gives a shit about the rest of the competition".

You couldn't really care less about the competitions status unless Brisbane were in severe financial danger. Or unless, your precious players were traded off. I'm just saying a draft has the appeal of being able to give clubs a great youth roster. Thatssss all.

If they want one, they can have one. There are enough young players coming out of Sydney for them to do something about it without changing the comp.

If they choose not to help themselves to the available talent, then stuff them.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • sooticus
  • mrslong
  • mystico
  • Kev_Guz
  • Jedhead
  • Bucking Beads
  • Jazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.