NEWS Broncos legend and employee Michael Hancock turns up heat on playing squad

PNG Broncos fan88

QCup Player
Port Moresby
Broncos legend and employee Michael Hancock turns up heat on playing squad

• June 18, 2019 11:09am
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
Broncos legend Michael Hancock has called on coach Anthony Seibold to drop misfiring players to Queensland Cup.

Broncos legend Michael Hancock has called on coach Anthony Seibold to drop misfiring players to Queensland Cup.Source: AAP

Broncos’ legend Michael Hancock has launched a tirade against the current squad of Brisbane players and called on coach Anthony Seibold to swing the axe.
The veteran of over 250 games for the club is a current Broncos employee, as a development officer, which makes his outburst all the more intriguing.
“Some players need a wake-up call . . . they are on so much money,” told Hancock Triple M’s Rush Hour show.

Dumbest play of the season?

“I was at the Broncos Leagues Club recently and older people were leaving at halftime because they said, ‘We aren’t playing well’.
“We have built our club on performance over a long period of time.
“You can’t coach effort and he (Seibold) is big on effort areas.
“We’ve got the Queensland Cup so why can’t we use that as a wake-up call and say boys, if you won’t play well you can have a stint there and then they will realise it’s about the club, not them.
“They quickly forget what it was like when they were young and wanted to be NRL players.
“Let’s get them in the community to help at hospitals and schools.”

Darius Boyd’s team have been terrible on the road in Sydney in 2019.

Darius Boyd’s team have been terrible on the road in Sydney in 2019.Source: AAP

Hancock’s comments come on the back of a two-game losing streak and a last start 38-10 thumping at the hands of the Eels.
A five-time premiership-winner, Hancock also took aim at the lack of balance in the playing roster.
“We’re missing something,” Hancock said.
“It’s a hard one, we’ve talked about it many times, it’s a touchy subject.
“We don’t have a dynamic player who can go 80 metres to score a try and other clubs have that.

Michael Hancock didn’t hold back following the Broncos loss to the Eels.

Michael Hancock didn’t hold back following the Broncos loss to the Eels.Source: News Corp Australia

“I’m thinking of guys like Latrell Mitchell and James Tedesco and Kalyn Ponga, players out there who give you that X-factor.”
Hancock is hopeful Seibold can identify some talent coming through the Broncos’ junior ranks to help turn the club around.
“Is there someone (special) coming through, I’m sure there will be,” Hancock said.
“We need to give them time and it will take some time, we are rebuilding everywhere ... the coaching staff, the whole organisation is adapting around the new coach’s philosophy.
“I don’t want to throw the baby out with the bath water just yet, it can change, but players have done things with Wayne Bennett for so long.”

Finbar

NYC Player
Appreciate Mick giving us a little bit of insight into things. It seems like he sees an issue with player entitlement which people on here have been noticing themselves. Only in time shall we truly know if we are headed in the right direction or not.

GCBRONCO

International Rep
Gold Coast
I remember during the Superleague era back in 1996 when the Broncos were doing a cleanout of sorts, Willie Carne, Alan Cann, Kerrod Walters and Michael Hancock were all informed that their futures in first grade weren't guaranteed and that they should leave the club if they want to continue playing at that level. Cann and Walters both went to Adelaide Rams, Willie Carne went to Rugby Union.

Michael Hancock on the otherhand approached Bennett and the coaching staff about what it would take to remain playing in first grade at the Broncos and it was made clear he would have to work hard and change the way he played the game, seeing him become an impact player off the bench playing both in the backs and the forwards. He put aside his ego, worked hard and went on to win another 3 premierships. I think if anyone knows about being sent a message for a wakeup call and responding to it in the right fashion it's certainly Hancock.

Last edited:

Stu_9

QCup Player
Some very valid points raised in the article.
There are deeper issues at the club then the squad struggling to get their head around the new coach, new game plan and new structures.
I think there is definitely a sense of entitlement with a lot of these players. They have won nothing.
There is no better time then now to put some player on notice, and drop a few others who have failed to fire this year.

Footy Fanatic

QCup Player
It is a shame that we lost our best attacking player in Roberts. He was truly the only player who had game breaking pace.

I hope one of the young guys coming through can come in next year and be a transcendent level attacking player for us, because we need it.

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Brisvegas
It is a shame that we lost our best attacking player in Roberts. He was truly the only player who had game breaking pace.

I hope one of the young guys coming through can come in next year and be a transcendent level attacking player for us, because we need it.
Personally i am glad Roberts is gone, he typifies what is wrong with the club at the moment .... players not willing to put in and do the hard yards.

Kicks in the arse are needed A.S.A.P !!

Jason Simmons

NRL Player

It’s a shame we lost the sort of gifts he has, but it isn’t a shame we lost that pea-hearted sook.

We could stand to lose a few more of them too. I’d rather a Kotoni Staggs in the club, a bloke who will roll up his sleeves and have a crack, then a lightning in a bottle type player like Roberts any day of the week.

We would be doing far better with more of the Staggs type and fewer of the Roberts type.

Unfortunately it seems we are stacked with blokes who’d prefer to kick stones when things don’t go their way, rather than knuckle down and work their way out of a problem.

Our squad is missing something, Mr Hancock is quite correct.

Heart.

Last edited:

GCBRONCO

International Rep
Gold Coast
It's no coincidence that for all the stars in our premiership sides there has always been a balance of solid, consistent performers who turn up week in and week out who go about their job and really make the job easier for the bigger name players. You really get the benefit out of them in the tight games where limiting your errors and making sure your defence is tight is even more critical. The bottomline is the balance of the current side is just not where it should be combined with serious issues of attitude, leadership and form.

PNG Broncos fan88

QCup Player
Port Moresby
Roberts has scored slashing tries in South colours even without Walker and Reynolds.
Really dreading the ceiling he will hit once Souths get all hands on deck, with the other speed star Burns terrorising the left edge.

Just to appease the coaches ego, we have traded our most dangerous player for Q cup mediocrity. Double standards if he can't even have an honesty session with the bigger sook wearing the No.1 jersey. That's the "touchy subject" Mick is referring to.

Last edited:

Battler

NRL Captain
North Brisbane
Robert has scored slashing tries in South colours even without Walker and Reynolds.
Really dreading the ceiling he will hit once Souths get all hands on deck, with the other speed star Burns terrorising the left edge.

Just to appease the coaches ego, we have traded our most dangerous player for Q cup mediocrity. Double standards if he can't even have an honesty session with the bigger sook wearing the No.1 jersey. That's the "touchy subject" Mick is referring to.
He's also let in several tries with some of the worst defence I've seen.

PNG Broncos fan88

QCup Player
Port Moresby
He's also let in several tries with some of the worst defence I've seen.
Kiakau's bust was the only try let through on his edge. The other was off a kick far infield from Roberts. But okay make it two tries if you say so.

Letting Eels centre Josh Hoffman score a double with our back peddling centres to the tune of 38 points mustn't be as worse as Roberts efforts above.

PerthBrissy987

NRL Player
Hes shit admit it
Ive been a big fan since his Titans days, but he has really gone downhill since
Kiakau's bust was the only try let through on his edge. The other was off a kick far infield from Roberts. But okay make it two tries if you say so.

Letting Eels centre Josh Hoffman score a double with our back peddling centres to the tune of 38 points mustn't be as worse as Roberts efforts above.

PNG Broncos fan88

QCup Player
Port Moresby
Roberts has played 2 games this season for Souths and scored 1 try, not tries and as Battler points in he has continued to be dreadful in defence that have let in several soft tries.
My bad should have read try, the 70m break upfield for the try assist was just as impressive in itself. Damn, when was the last time our current back 5 scorched the turf untouched from deep in our 20m to they try line ;-(

GCBRONCO

International Rep
Gold Coast
My bad should have read try, the 70m break upfield for the try assist was just as impressive in itself. Damn, when was the last time our current back 5 scorched the turf untouched from deep in our 20m to they try line ;-(
You mean the one try assist he has provided for the whole season so far for both teams his played for? Thats quite impressive hey everyone lets celebrate the one try assist that has been even outclassed by an equally dreadful Darius Boyd.
- Merged

Hell even Jack Bird made 3 before he got injured.

Last edited:

JAHHW

NRL Player
For all the hating on Roberts (and don’t get me wrong, given his attitude this year, I’m glad he’s gone), I do think we need to acknowledge one thing about him that I do think has been overlooked.

Simply having him in the side, with that speed and game breaking ability, made the defence nervous and provided space for those around him.

That’s the metric that cannot be measured by any statistic and I truly do think our other outside backs are probably missing that extra yard of space that is no longer there.

But yeh, his attitude was toxic and he needed to go.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter