Broncos need ..... ????

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Fell into their lap what an ignorant thing to say- those guys were placed at Norths! Slater came in after going to Redcliffe first and Dolphins turned him away.

They haven't had Norths as a feeder since 2007. Yet their talent spotting has continued- do you think maybe they're just good at it?

Maybe. But I prefer to sit on the side of the fence where we fucking hate the cheating assholes for eternity. So **** them, yes, it fell in their lap.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Yep, and the Storm have Melbourne and Victoria to themselves, but still, 20 years since inception, rely on stealing jrs from other states to succeed. Other clubs that have an advantage over us when it comes to retaining jrs in the current system: the Cows pretty much have everything North of the Sunny Coast (although the Storm are sticking their grubby little fingers into places like Rocky), the Warriors have first dibs on NZ talent (although, to be fair, NZ gets pillaged regularly by parasitic clubs like the rorters and storm), the Raiders have the ACT and strong holds in NSW and QLD to themselves. **** it, give the NSWankers what they want: bring in another Brisbane team and kick everyone else the hell out of our city. Breed your own jrs or compensate us for providing so much talent.

Clubs should receive cap concessions or some sort of compensation for jr development. Clubs like the rorters and storm aren't even trying to develop worthwhile jrs in their own regions.

That would mean that the Broncos don't receive any concession for (based on this year's team) Boyd, Oates, Glenn, Nikorima, Kahu, Thaiday, McCullough, Milford, Ofahengaue, Gillette, Pangai, Hunt, Moga, Blair, Marshall and Roberts.

McGuire is the only one last week from Brisbane.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Fell into their lap what an ignorant thing to say- those guys were placed at Norths! Slater came in after going to Redcliffe first and Dolphins turned him away.

They haven't had Norths as a feeder since 2007. Yet their talent spotting has continued- do you think maybe they're just good at it?
“I went down to Brisbane when I was 17, just to give footy a crack and I walked into a club that was affiliated with Melbourne Storm,” Slater said.

What a weird thing for slater to say if he was "placed" at norths...

Mark Murray was with norths at the time of Cronks recruitment and brought him there. Cameron smith was recruited by Anthony griffin who was working for the storm.

Their best recruiter appears to be Paul bunn, who worked under Cyril Connell for years at the broncos. They also have success with their Wellington trials.

They have some great recruitment people but there is luck involved with all recruitment. But you tend to be luckier when you go into other people's backyards regularly.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
“I went down to Brisbane when I was 17, just to give footy a crack and I walked into a club that was affiliated with Melbourne Storm,” Slater said.

What a weird thing for slater to say if he was "placed" at norths...

Mark Murray was with norths at the time of Cronks recruitment and brought him there. Cameron smith was recruited by Anthony griffin who was working for the storm.

Their best recruiter appears to be Paul bunn, who worked under Cyril Connell for years at the broncos. They also have success with their Wellington trials.

They have some great recruitment people but there is luck involved with all recruitment. But you tend to be luckier when you go into other people's backyards regularly.

Did you read? I said Slater.

Yes correct they were recruited and then placed in Norths colts. They didn't fall into their lap they recruited them then said now you play for Norths. Muppet and Girffin worked for Norths and the Storm- that was their role. Look after these guys.

Other people's backyard? Like the Broncos do and every club?

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
That would mean that the Broncos don't receive any concession for (based on this year's team) Boyd, Oates, Glenn, Nikorima, Kahu, Thaiday, McCullough, Milford, Ofahengaue, Gillette, Pangai, Hunt, Moga, Blair, Marshall and Roberts.

True. But atleast the players they have played here in development teams and the local competitions are strong. What needs to happen is that the junior competitions where the players originate be supported and rewarded for the development of superstars of the game. Note, I did not say clubs but competitions. A method of funding that rewards successful development strategies should be done, and it should go right back to the starting blocks. Furthermore those areas with development programs not producing results should be invested in but with the condition of adopting proven development strategies. Perhaps elite juniors should put into a draft system with weighting going to local NRL teams. This funding should be made by charging teams players go on to play for.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Did you read? I said Slater.

Yes correct they were recruited and then placed in Norths colts. They didn't fall into their lap they recruited them then said now you play for Norths.

Other people's backyard? Like the Broncos do and every club?
"Fell into their lap what an ignorant thing to say- those guys were placed at Norths! Slater came in after going to Redcliffe first and Dolphins turned him away."

Where does it say slater wasn't recruited by the storm? My reading must be bad. To me I didn't read "storm didn't recruit him, he actually fell into their laps", but it does say "those guys were placed at norths" though.....

And mark Murray was working for NORTHS, not the Melbourne storm...

Haha do storm have any Melbourne-born players in the gf team? It's sad and pathetic that after 20 years they have developed 3 or 4 local players. It's an embarrassment, look at the Sydney swans, they have plenty of local players. This "it's not a league state" doesn't wash anymore after all these years...

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013

Why aren't we as good at it?

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
"Fell into their lap what an ignorant thing to say- those guys were placed at Norths! Slater came in after going to Redcliffe first and Dolphins turned him away."

Where does it say slater wasn't recruited by the storm? My reading must be bad. To me I didn't read "storm didn't recruit him, he actually fell into their laps", but it does say "those guys were placed at norths" though.....

And mark Murray was working for NORTHS, not the Melbourne storm...

Haha do storm have any Melbourne-born players in the gf team? It's sad and pathetic that after 20 years they have developed 3 or 4 local players. It's an embarrassment, look at the Sydney swans, they have plenty of local players. This "it's not a league state" doesn't wash anymore after all these years...

It's not that hard; I corrected you saying they fell into their lap but then conceded Slater came to Norths after going to Reddy first. He went to the Colts trials at Nudgee and got a start.

You're simply wrong, Muppet worked for the Storm, so much so he was promoted to coach a few months later at the Storm with Griffin his assistant.

Brisbane have McGuire from Brisbane last Friday and that was it. Why can't Brisbane have more Brisbane players?

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015

Boyd was recruited from the Gold Coast before the titans existed. Brisbane is closer to where hunt, McCullough, Gillett or Oates are from then any other club. Kodi nikorima moved to Brisbane aged 12, ofa even younger. Moga and Milford were recruited from Brisbane by other clubs.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
It's not that hard; I corrected you saying they fell into their lap but then conceded Slater came to Norths after going to Reddy first. He went to the Colts trials at Nudgee and got a start.

You're simply wrong, Muppet worked for the Storm, so much so he was promoted to coach a few months later at the Storm with Griffin his assistant.

Brisbane have McGuire from Brisbane last Friday and that was it. Why can't Brisbane have more Brisbane players?
I must have missed the part where you conceded that point.

Murray started coaching norths before the storm existed and stopped coaching them in 2000. His club was affiliated to the storm, he wasn't part of their recruitment team.

I don't get why you are getting so defensive of the storm lol. It IS embarrassing for the nrl they haven't developed VICTORIAN players. Extremly embarrassing no matter how much you dodge that fact.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

Because all those awesome Jets players can't make the jump to the big leagues these days.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I think we need more players who grew up idolizing the Broncos and less dumb journeymen who have no pride in the jersey. We are always going to get fucked over during the Origin period but sometimes we come out really well afterwards and if we have the players who are willing to put in it might be worth it.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I think we need more players who grew up idolizing the Broncos and less dumb journeymen who have no pride in the jersey. We are always going to get fucked over during the Origin period but sometimes we come out really well afterwards and if we have the players who are willing to put in it might be worth it.
Players idolize winning teams and/or successful players.

Brisbane haven't won shit in 11 years - that's a lifetime for some of the up and comers. Who would they idolize from the Brisbane team when they could idolize jt, smith, cronk, slater, hell even people like JT13?

Our last "idol" worthy player was Lockyer and he retired 6 years ago, in essence, most of the juniors hadn't even hit puberty by that stage. There's been no one to really carry the flag the past few years. Milf has his moments and Hunt once upon a time, but that's about it? JYY wasn't really around long enough to influence anyone to a great extent and he retired 4 years ago (and last played at any high levle 5 years ago).

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

Brisbane haven't won shit in 11 years - that's a lifetime for some of the up and comers. Who would they idolize from the Brisbane team when they could idolize jt, smith, cronk, slater, hell even people like JT13?

Our last "idol" worthy player was Lockyer and he retired 6 years ago, in essence, most of the juniors hadn't even hit puberty by that stage. There's been no one to really carry the flag the past few years. Milf has his moments and Hunt once upon a time, but that's about it? JYY wasn't really around long enough to influence anyone to a great extent and he retired 4 years ago (and last played at any high levle 5 years ago).

Wayne Bennett.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

Hunt was a Sharks fan growing up. Definitely not because of their success.

Players like Nick Cotric and Sam Burgess are Broncos fans and I'm sure there's many more. We need to be looking at players who love the Broncos, not just the guys who play for us. 2000-2006 we had a team filled with people who loved our club. And not just because we offered them a contract when nobody else would. Those players would have played for free just to wear the Broncos jersey.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Boyd was recruited from the Gold Coast before the titans existed. Brisbane is closer to where hunt, McCullough, Gillett or Oates are from then any other club. Kodi nikorima moved to Brisbane aged 12, ofa even younger. Moga and Milford were recruited from Brisbane by other clubs.

I think you’ve just realised how silly your point that you should only play for where you’re from really was.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I did some creepy stalking and the only non-Broncos player the Broncos follow on Instagram is Bevan French and it looks like a somewhat recent follow

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Hunt was a Sharks fan growing up. Definitely not because of their success.

Players like Nick Cotric and Sam Burgess are Broncos fans and I'm sure there's many more. We need to be looking at players who love the Broncos, not just the guys who play for us. 2000-2006 we had a team filled with people who loved our club. And not just because we offered them a contract when nobody else would. Those players would have played for free just to wear the Broncos jersey.
I'm not saying all juniors idolize successful players, but it certainly helps. You can guarantee more players around would idolize Thurston or Smith, and wish to play for them (or their home club) than Brisbane as of late. The 2000-2006 teams were made up of people that most likely followed us in the 90's when we were successful.

But i do agree with you, those that would bleed for the club would be infinitely more valuable than those there purely for the paycheque.

Anyone can trot out the line yeah I always wanted to play for the Broncos, but few actually show it.

Unread

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Hurrijo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.