Broncos need ..... ????

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Yeah I read several times you say you shouldn't take players that aren't in your region or backyard and the Storm should have Melbourne players.

Yet then you say Brisbane can recruit from anywhere on the globe- so you can see my confusion at this terrible thought out point.
Please quote where I said YOU CANT TAKE FROM OTHER REGIONS..... I can tell you're getting frustrated but the last 3-4 posts you have just made stuff up about what I've been saying rather then actually proving me wrong or debating the issues. I don't get why you're so defensive about the storm, aren't you a broncos fan? Or are you linked to the storm in some way? Just asking, I'm seriously confused by your defensiveness...

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Shane Walker and Steven Price both have rings without playing.

I have no issue with guys from throughout the year being premiership players.

Should be a minimum amount of games to get the ring.

The Manly CEOs have rings as well, I guess they're premiership players too.

I just think you're getting a bit greedy there with Kurt calling him a premiership player.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Please quote where I said YOU CANT TAKE FROM OTHER REGIONS..... I can tell you're getting frustrated but the last 3-4 posts you have just made stuff up about what I've been saying rather then actually proving me wrong or debating the issues. I don't get why you're so defensive about the storm, aren't you a broncos fan? Or are you linked to the storm in some way? Just asking, I'm seriously confused by your defensiveness...

Being a Broncos fan shouldn't prevent you from speaking the truth.

1910 is right, Brisbane don't have that many local juniors and if you carry around with that chip on your shoulder somebody who has it in for the Broncos is going to let you know and then some.

It's like when your parents are critical of you. They're not doing it to be mean, they're doing it so you can avoid the embarrassment and learn your lesson in a more comfortable setting.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

It’s your whole point. Storm come to Brisbane and take ‘our’ kids damn them to hell. They should recruit only Melbourne players.

I just pointed out your stance has serious issues for Brisbane too.

Instead of focusing your attention on areas which is an outdated view you should focus on players who made their debut at a club or players that were at a club by 18.

That’s the strength of a club. Be from Tasmania for all I care but I’m happy if an 18 year old stays for 200 games.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Being a Broncos fan shouldn't prevent you from speaking the truth.

1910 is right, Brisbane don't have that many local juniors and if you carry around with that chip on your shoulder somebody who has it in for the Broncos is going to let you know and then some.

It's like when your parents are critical of you. They're not doing it to be mean, they're doing it so you can avoid the embarrassment and learn your lesson in a more comfortable setting.
I am critical of the broncos recruitment! More so then most. Recruitment is 60% luck and 40% what the club offers above other clubs (that's where the club falls short atm). Every club receives video and gets notified by player agents when they turn 13-16 if they are any good and every now and then a club luckily stumbles upon one a few clubs missed.
Regardless, that's not what this is about at all. He's simply said things that aren't true.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
It’s your whole point. Storm come to Brisbane and take ‘our’ kids damn them to hell. They should recruit only Melbourne players.

I just pointed out your stance has serious issues for Brisbane too.

Instead of focusing your attention on areas which is an outdated view you should focus on players who made their debut at a club or players that were at a club by 18.

That’s the strength of a club. Be from Tasmania for all I care but I’m happy if an 18 year old stays for 200 games.

That isn't my stance at all haha. They should invest in their own region and reap the benefits more then any other, that's what grows the game. Rather then invest 99% of your time and money into a region that is already being invested in by another club as that is their local area. So yes, clubs should PREDOMINANTLY stick to their region.

You pointed that out before I pointed out that most of those players you based your case on were actually from Brisbane/grew up in Brisbane/were born or grew up closer to Brisbane then any other club....

And I am sick of fans being branded along he lines of having a "chip in your shoulder" when sticking up for our club but when we criticise another club we are in denial....

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I am critical of the broncos recruitment! More so then most. Recruitment is 60% luck and 40% what the club offers above other clubs (that's where the club falls short atm). Every club receives video and gets notified by player agents when they turn 13-16 if they are any good and every now and then a club luckily stumbles upon one a few clubs missed.
Regardless, that's not what this is about at all. He's simply said things that aren't true.

Ah right, my apologies I got lost in all the confusion. I agree with your initial point that Brisbane should invest more in their own region and spend less time trying to pilfer talents from North Queensland, the Gold Coast and New Zealand.

ZTop

ZTop

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Feb 28, 2016
I liked it too when he was dropping all those balls and missing all those tackles......
he had potential...
I had some attraction to him don't ask me why

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
It would be nice if Melbourne had Victorian juniors in their ranks but I don't think it should be their job to do so single handedly. Really, this is where the short-sightedness of the NRL really pisses me off. There seems no inclination to develop elite pathways for junior development outside of qld and NSW. Where is the focus on Victorian league, wa league. Why not a national amateur teams comp with interstate games to start the year. We seem to rely on pure luck when you compare us to AFL!

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
broncos need this bloke back - he doesnt sign a 100 kids and hope for the best like our clowns do. he knows what he wants and isnt afraid to go for it.

MELBOURNE STAR RECRUITER HELPING PREPARE FOR LIFE WITHOUT BIG THREE
A FORMER talent scout for Wayne Bennett has emerged as the man responsible for delivering some of the biggest young stars to Melbourne, including Cameron Munster, Curtis Scott, Josh Addo-Carr and Suliasi Vunivalu.
Paul Bunn, 57, who worked with Bennett at the Broncos for 16 years, will on Saturday arrive in Sydney to join the Storm team he’s played a huge role in assembling.
The 57-year-old is facing one of the biggest challenges in the game — building the Storm’s generation next preparing for life without Cooper Cronk, Cameron Smith and Billy Slater.
Bunn did not to want to take credit when approached about this story, but was grateful he had the full backing of coach Craig Bellamy, football manager Frank Ponissi and CEO Dave Donaghy, who said of Bunn “he’s in career-best form”.
Munster has been a revelation at the Storm. Bunn heard about the five-eighth from three old mates who convinced him to hop on a plane to Melbourne to meet with Craig Bellamy and Cameron Smith, then later sign a $5000 deal.
Bunn watched Vunivalu carve up in a rugby game in Fiji, only to return a month later and realise the winger had left for boarding school in New Zealand.
It was only during a chance conversation with former Storm winger Matt Duffie that he was able to track down Vunivalu a second time and convince him to sign with Melbourne.
Bunn first laid eyes on Scott as a 17-year-old playing SG Ball for Cronulla in a game against Parramatta, while Addo-Carr’s deal was struck the night before he debuted for the Wests Tigers last year.
“Josh had pure speed and the ability to break the line and score a try whenever he felt like it,’’ Bunn told The Saturday Telegraph.
“We tracked him into the NSW Cup where he scored 19 tries, and we had tried to sign him for last year, but we ran out of money in pour second-tier budget.
“I remember flying up to Sydney last year, we met him and his girlfriend Lakaree, who is related to Greg Inglis, who told them, ‘pack your bags and get down there straight away’.
“The deal was struck that night. The following day him and Suli scored with their first touches at Leichhardt Oval.’
One person Bunn contacted as a character reference for Addo-Carr was Scott, who played along side at Cronulla.
Scott had no shortage of clubs lining up for his signature, and Bunn was grateful to win the race for the kid who stood out because of his aggression and tall, lean build.
During a two-night trip to Melbourne while being wooed, Scott and Bunn enjoyed some time at the wonderfully-named restaurant Leonard’s House Of Love, then had Billy Slater get in his ear during a Storm game the following night.
When it came to Vunivalu, Bunn feared he might not see him again when he returned to Fiji to speak with him, but was told the 16-year-old had shifted to Auckland to continue playing rugby,
He spoke with Duffie who later found out there had been a new Fijian join his old high school, Saint Kentigern College, and it was Vunivalu.
He did not come cheap given the intense interest in the teenager, but Vunivalu quickly repaid the faith with more than 40 tries in his opening two seasons.
Munster was identified by Paul Grant and scouts Paul Minto and Terry Hansen in central Queensland’s Bunn’s old stomping ground.
He flew to Brisbane to watch him play a Queensland Cup game for the Central Capras against Easts, and wasted no time getting him on a plane down south.
There had been zero interest from rival clubs. By the time Munster became a YouTube sensation a few months later after a classy 100m try for the Capras, the phone started to ring, but Bunn had his man.
Even Cronk’s halfback replacement, Brodie Croft, was another discovered by Bunn at just 15.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
broncos need this bloke back - he doesnt sign a 100 kids and hope for the best like our clowns do. he knows what he wants and isnt afraid to go for it.

Any chance we could get him back?

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
you never say never, but i would highly doubt it.
i cant remember exactly but i think he got pushed out in favour of the newer cool kids on the block. what a **** up!
Sounds like Bruno Cullen had another lightbulb moment....

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
im not sure bruno can wear the blame
Yeah fair enough... it just seemed to be around the time when he started dabbling in the football department a little too much

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
you never say never, but i would highly doubt it.
i cant remember exactly but i think he got pushed out in favour of the newer cool kids on the block. what a **** up!

Massive mistake.

I bet Bunn would have kept Tino on our books in favour of signing Haas. That losing Tino is really going to cost us in the future I feel...

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
Yeah fair enough... it just seemed to be around the time when he started dabbling in the football department a little too much

you could be right but i think bunn wasnt part of the cool gang like kurt richards and scanlen.

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
Massive mistake.

I bet Bunn would have kept Tino on our books in favour of signing Haas. That losing Tino is really going to cost us in the future I feel...

only time will tell mate, but bunn was the one who went real hard for tino to get him!!

Active Now

• eazy-duzzit
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • Brocko
  • broncs30
  • Organix
  • Morkel
  • Galah
  • simplythebest
  • Sproj
  • bb_gun
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  • Alec
  • Rookie Alan
  • thenry
  • Waynesaurus
  • Kev_Guz
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Footy Fanatic
... and 25 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.