Broncos need ..... ????

only time will tell mate, but bunn was the one who went real hard for tino to get him!!

Doesn't surprise me hearing what he has done with the Storm.

Well since Bunn has left we haven't had a genuine superstar come through the system, which can't be a coincidence. And there doesn't seem to be much coming through at the moment, especially in the outside backs.

only time will tell mate, but bunn was the one who went real hard for tino to get him!!

We wouldn't even have Corey Oates if it wasn't for Bunn!

Then 16, Oates had raw promise but he also had a stack of injuries. The gangly kid from Biloela looked washed up. Brisbane even drafted a termination letter advising Oates’ Broncos scholarship would unfortunately be rescinded.

Thanks to one man, the letter never reached the Oates household. Paul Bunn, the former assistant to legendary Broncos scout Cyril Connell, put his job on the line to ensure Oates stayed in the Broncos system. The ultimate dividend will be paid on Wednesday night when Oates, now 21, runs out in the Maroon No.2 jumper representing the Queensland people.

“I fought for that kid to stay there,” said Bunn, who also signed retired Maroons centre Justin Hodges as a teenager.

“I had no doubt Corey would be a first-grader and possibly more than that.

“He was athletic, a physical specimen. There’s a lot of big, tall lanky kids who struggle with speed but he had speed. He could play fullback, wing, centre, back row. He could goal kick at the time. The kid had it all.

“Someone at the Broncos had a letter written to say don’t bother to turn up again, we’re not interested in moving forward. But I vetoed that. I asked the club to give the kid a chance.

“Tonie Carroll (former Broncos lock) had a lot of injuries and he went on to play for Queensland and Australia. It’s been great to see Corey kick on because for a few years there he was going nowhere.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...p/news-story/204b0294290062b1f376660b3ae1cde2

Yeah, I think a lot of us have noticed how our junior development hasn't been as successful as in the past...I mean, like Danoz said, what backs have we even brought through in recent years? Opacic, who couldn't even beat Moga to a spot? Or Pearson, the Ice Queen? In the forwards, Ofa has been the only real success so far, and he had his ups and downs too. While Melbourne just kept bringing in guns like Croft, Munster, Vunivalu etc etc. I've said it a few times this year already, steal the Melbourne Storm staff ffs!

Then 16, Oates had raw promise but he also had a stack of injuries. The gangly kid from Biloela looked washed up. Brisbane even drafted a termination letter advising Oates’ Broncos scholarship would unfortunately be rescinded.

Thanks to one man, the letter never reached the Oates household. Paul Bunn, the former assistant to legendary Broncos scout Cyril Connell, put his job on the line to ensure Oates stayed in the Broncos system. The ultimate dividend will be paid on Wednesday night when Oates, now 21, runs out in the Maroon No.2 jumper representing the Queensland people.

“I fought for that kid to stay there,” said Bunn, who also signed retired Maroons centre Justin Hodges as a teenager.

“He was athletic, a physical specimen. There’s a lot of big, tall lanky kids who struggle with speed but he had speed. He could play fullback, wing, centre, back row. He could goal kick at the time. The kid had it all.

“Someone at the Broncos had a letter written to say don’t bother to turn up again, we’re not interested in moving forward. But I vetoed that. I asked the club to give the kid a chance.

“Tonie Carroll (former Broncos lock) had a lot of injuries and he went on to play for Queensland and Australia. It’s been great to see Corey kick on because for a few years there he was going nowhere.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...p/news-story/204b0294290062b1f376660b3ae1cde2

Jesus christ. How do our administrators **** up so badly? Recruiters of his caliber are worth 10 times their weight in gold.

Simpletons.

I've watched Oates closely sinced he debut for the broncos I've loved watching the kid play. Kind well spoken giant of a Human.

This is like reading a horror story for Broncos fans.
It's like when the super hot rich chick just keeps going for the wrong door, you can see what will happen, you just have to face palm yourself that it actually does.

I'm not entirely sure on the specifics but after Bunn left the word was that Brendan Barlow and James Hinchy would step into replace them. Initially it appeared that Bunn was going to pursue a real estate career but then he went ahead and signed with Melbourne in 2012. Both Barlow and Hinchy were let go at the end of the 2013 season which tells you just how well they went and the Broncos brought in Peter Nolan.

Nolan has had a mixed bag since returning to the Broncos. You would have to say the signings like Darius Boyd, Adam Blair, James Roberts had more to do with Bennett and even guys like Ese'ese were picked up from an affiliate instead of being specifically head hunted. That leaves Pangai Junior, Haas, Moga and Mead as his notable NRL calibre signings.

Then again it's always difficult to judge an recruitment officer when a big part of their job description is bringing through juniors. In the case of Barlow, while most would regard his stint as a failure, he was the one who discovered Tino Faasuamaleuai as a 12 year old in Gympie. So every recruitment officer has their share of stories.

I'm not entirely sure on the specifics but after Bunn left the word was that Brendan Barlow and James Hinchy would step into replace them. Initially it appeared that Bunn was going to pursue a real estate career but then he went ahead and signed with Melbourne in 2012. Both Barlow and Hinchy were let go at the end of the 2013 season which tells you just how well they went and the Broncos brought in Peter Nolan.

Nolan has had a mixed bag since returning to the Broncos. You would have to say the signings like Darius Boyd, Adam Blair, James Roberts had more to do with Bennett and even guys like Ese'ese were picked up from an affiliate instead of being specifically head hunted. That leaves Pangai Junior, Haas, Moga and Mead as his notable NRL calibre signings.

Then again it's always difficult to judge an recruitment officer when a big part of their job description is bringing through juniors. In the case of Barlow, while most would regard his stint as a failure, he was the one who discovered Tino Faasuamaleuai as a 12 year old in Gympie. So every recruitment officer has their share of stories.

There was a lot of unhappiness around that time, Gabett, Nolan and Bunn were all moved on at the same time. A lot of tension. Bunn is an exceptional football person.

But Bunn got his gig as recruitment boss in the night of the long knives in 2005 ironically. When everyone got moved around. Mark Gee got the Toowoomba job, Henjak assistant, Green kicking coach, Gee manager and Bunn recruitment.

Before that he'd been football manager.

He and his wife ran the house the club owns and boys live in when they move. Sam Thaiday lived there when he first came down with Joe Clarke.

Nolan came back and he's the same, done a huge amount of roles at the club, assistant at Toowoomba to Ivan and now recruitment manager.

There seemed a real move to move on Bennett people around that time.

Wouldn't have nearly all the current team. Bunn and Nolan set up the EPDP at the end of 2005. Phase one was McCullough, Yow Yeh, McGuire, Copley, Hunt, Beale, Frei, Baptist, Lui, Hala and Maranta.

IMG 0687

Hahahahahahahahhaahahhaahhahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

So...he has until November 1 to sign a 1.2 million offer before getting a 1.3 million offer the day after? Makes sense right? Right?

It would be nice if Melbourne had Victorian juniors in their ranks but I don't think it should be their job to do so single handedly. Really, this is where the short-sightedness of the NRL really pisses me off. There seems no inclination to develop elite pathways for junior development outside of qld and NSW. Where is the focus on Victorian league, wa league. Why not a national amateur teams comp with interstate games to start the year. We seem to rely on pure luck when you compare us to AFL!
I think the development is there, its just not in your face if you're not looking for it. I saw a recent article where Victorian juniors are up to 3000 now, and started at about 600 when the Storm entered the NRL, so thats about the size of the Sunny coast rugby league I think. They also have under 18 and under 20 VRL rep teams playing in the QLD Mal Meninga and State wide u20 colts comp , which they have been doing for a few years now (previously had teams in the Cyrill Connel comp, and made semi finals). Also watching GIO schoolboy cup I have seen two Victorian schools involved that run rugby league programs alah Keebra Park, Wavell High etc. Its happening, its a bit like getting that big wheel rolling... hard to get it moving at first but once its got momentum it rolls nicely.

Wouldn't have nearly all the current team. Bunn and Nolan set up the EPDP at the end of 2005. Phase one was McCullough, Yow Yeh, McGuire, Copley, Hunt, Beale, Frei, Baptist, Lui, Hala and Maranta.
TBH that is a pretty bog average list of players save for the obvious guns. I guess you can only recruit what you see and whats available, but who did we miss out on while we pursued and developed players of that list calibre.

TBH that is a pretty bog average list of players save for the obvious guns. I guess you can only recruit what you see and whats available, but who did we miss out on while we pursued and developed players of that list calibre.

To get three players of the quality of McGuire, Hunt and Yow Yeh in phase one is pretty good and we know Yow Yeh would have been a superstar...

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • john1420
  • Aldo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Waynesaurus
  • Big Del
  • Skyblues87
  • Griffo
  • Wolfie
  • marw
  • broncsgoat
  • heartly87
  • Pablo
  • Smokin' Joe
  • Broncosgirl
  • Gaz
  • Tim K
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • broncoscope
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.