Broncos Needing Rebuild

• Thread starter Marty Deutschmann
  • Start date
Say we keep our current players without signing anymore major players. If Glenn was Captain he changes the mentality of a lot of things and if Seibold and he have a good relationship he can push Seibs plans on the field. This would be a huge change to the squad mentality.

Fifita currently does not get enough game time. What if he was to be put into the centres for the next couple of years? He would be a weapon close to the line, be able to match it physically with any centre in the Comp and learn to defend with Gillett which should help his defensive game. His lateral movement could be an issue but if he could develop that as well he will be an even better second rower in a couple of years. From what I have seen he seems to be a right side player so isn’t really an option to replace Glenn imo.

Our team could be

1. Milford / Bird / Niu
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Fifita / Bird
5. Coates / Isaako / Farnworth
6. Bird / Milford / SOS
7. Deardon / Paix
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn (c)
12. Gillett
13. TPJ / Haas / Bird

14. Segeyaro
15. Flegler
16. Carrigan
17. Bullemor

I like the James Graham idea but don’t think he would come cheap. We could also have Coates in left centre (depending how he handles the step up) and have Staggs on the bench for genuine utility value. There are a lot of options just depends on the commitment of the playing group to defence and learning attacking structures.

DIdn't come through any system, never signed with anyone until this Storm deal. He was/is a genuine ISC player. Played Colts with Easts in 2013 and won the premiership, BRL with Easts and then ISC debut for Easts in 2015- eventually when he got his Queensland Residents spot in 2017. Storm were impressed and offered him a deal.

Broncos did talk to him in 2017 but it was too late.
[automerge]1562361452[/automerge]

Problem now with Papenhuyzen is that he like a lot of players feel a loyalty to Melbourne, he was a Tigers junior and they punted him because they were definitely keeping Teddy.

Storm gets him end of 2020 puts him at Sunny Coast last year where he missed half the year with concussion problems and this year few injuries and he fires- loves the Storm for life.

Same with B.Smith- Cowboys 20's and Storm do their due diligence and take him and he is signed until 2022.

They feel rescued by Storm.
Thanks @1910 wasn't sure of his background.

Sounds like we should just sign the storm’s recruitment and talent scout branch and the rest will look after itself.
I don't think it's an issue about our recruitment so much. It's more to do with when they get here and what we do with them. Storm are brilliant in getting the most out of a player and have shown us up for years in this aspect.

We didnt need to be rebuilt until the dally m coach of the year dismantled us

Manu is a gun IMO, even if he doesn't play fullback, he's still a top 3 centre.

Agree, he's probably the best centre at the roosters. Latrell is better when at his peak but manu seems way more consistent.

I wouldnt mind Brandon Smith from the Storm.

He's what Macca shouldve been. Quick outta dummy half, runs through players, and has a big motor.
I would too but he won't come. Locked up in Melbourne
[automerge]1562372272[/automerge]
That's only true if your happy with us merely making up the numbers every year, instead of becoming a genuine contender again
We needed a rebuild. There question is how it has been done. Time will tell.

Last edited:
That's only true if your happy with us merely making up the numbers every year, instead of becoming a genuine contender again

Yeah really happy with our progress this year

unfortunately rebuilding usually means short term pain ...

plus we are not just rebuilding our roster, but also our playing style ... which is harder to do, as we have our old methods ingrained into the muscle memory of our players, especially under fatigue.

Last edited:
We didnt need to be rebuilt until the dally m coach of the year dismantled us
Zzzzzzzz..
Ye true, why would we need a change when we won all those premierships in the last few years!
[automerge]1562374668[/automerge]
Zzzzzzzz
[automerge]1562374768[/automerge]
I would too but he won't come. Locked up in Melbourne
[automerge]1562372272[/automerge]

We needed a rebuild. There question is how it has been done. Time will tell.
I don't see how they can keep both Harry grant and brandon Smith, unless b Smith is happy being a bench utility or getting turned into a lock forward...

Last edited:
Corey Thompson for FB anyone?
Yeah, he is a great player but unfortunately just signed with tigers again as maguire is a fan. I can see why. A little mixed night last night but is 100% effort, is quick with good footwork, hits holes and despite his small size takes the hard runs and usually does well. He also has a really fast play the ball.

He is the epitomy of a value for money player. Doesnt receive massive accolades but does his part for the team.

unfortunately rebuilding usually means short term pain ...

plus we are not just rebuilding our roster, but also our playing style ... which is harder to do, as we have our old methods ingrained into the muscle memory of our players, especially under fatigue.
honestly what style of footy are we trying to play? are we just trying to look as poor as possible in every aspect of the game? this is our worst season ever.

I don't think we need to recruit a fullback immediately and agree ponga should be our long term goal. In the meantime I think we need to go after a winner/old head/organiser in the halves like Maloney to show Deardon, SOS, Paix the way to being a true half. Stick him in the 6 and milf in the 1 where he's got room to run. He will get his d back quick enough. We will next year be flush with centres again between bird, staggs, Coates. Wingers of Oates and battle out between Isaako and Farnworth (both goal kickers). James Graham has played almost 400 games of pro footy and is wearing down. To lead our forwards we need to look to players like Klemmer, Vaughan, Welch, Taukiaho, Fonua-Blake, Tapau. Still got plenty of years in them but have a hard hitting attitude and lead from the front. Hooker is easy, let Turpin and Seggy split the role till their form suggests they shouldn't. Right now they both deserve it. Macca tries but isn't good enough. Bye. 2nd row is straight forward with Glenn holding left and the captaincy and Gillet holding right and being a leader. Fifita to continue his apprenticeship the old way and let lads like Palasia get a shot as depth. This is how the greats were made. They had to do an apprenticeship and earn their way into the starting side. Always felt like they were replaceable and lucky to get a crack. That's the attitude winning teams have.

Last edited:
honestly what style of footy are we trying to play? are we just trying to look as poor as possible in every aspect of the game? this is our worst season ever.

It is our worst season but we didn't look far off at first. It just became uncanny how often the bounce went against us and recurring problems cost us games in the end. When we've looked good it was exciting and felt fresh. The attacking structures looked so much better when we had Milf, Dearden and Turpin firing, give Seibold some credit for that. Cruel injuries cost us as much as anything this year as well I believe.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Justwin
  • Hoof Hearted
  • BroncosAlways
  • Browny
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncorob
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  • Mustafur
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Astro
  • Allo
  • Brocko
  • Santa
  • Redux
  • Wolfie
  • Harry Sack
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.