Broncos Needing Rebuild

• Thread starter Marty Deutschmann
  • Start date
will Milford likely to be fullback for the foreseeable future, I think Bird should partner Dearden in the halves.

...well at the very least he is being paid like to top fullbacks are so makes sense he should be one himself...

Siebs might have had a idea in the back of his mind to perhaps have Milf train there during the next post-season but as he cant rely on Boyd anymore he has had to resort to a mid-season change..

Once Milf gets a full off season to train there with the team id be very interested to see how he goes...lets just say I have more faith of this being a successful change than I do Boyd at 5/8th...

Could be a fair shout, my only concern with that would be it's a lot of pressure on Tom to run the team, Bird would be a great running 6, but his kicking game is pretty much non-existent. Maybe he can develop one over the off-season a la Jack Wighton, that'd be handy.

Hmmm no kicking game but fantastic running game.....sounds a lot like someone else we released earlier in the year.

Let's stop trying to mould halves and inject some legitimate playmakers into our most important positions.

Agreed Ostin.....Bird was proving a success at centre.....the road is clear for him now to be our best 3/4 so lets stick to that..

Ive talked at length about our recruitment needing to focus on a fullback....obviously with this switch now being permanent our next recruitment target long term probably needs to be a up and coming half.

What would folk here think of a Milford/Ponga switch in 2021..?

Could be a fair shout, my only concern with that would be it's a lot of pressure on Tom to run the team, Bird would be a great running 6, but his kicking game is pretty much non-existent. Maybe he can develop one over the off-season a la Jack Wighton, that'd be handy.

Don't forget Milford will still be in the side, so will be able to chime in from the back similar to how Locky used to

Hmmm no kicking game but fantastic running game.....sounds a lot like someone else we released earlier in the year.

That's fine to have ... in one half ... but we had it in both halves which is why it was a problem

That's fine to have ... in one half ... but we had it in both halves which is why it was a problem
[/QUOTE]

Milf has a pretty decent kicking game and he seems to have lost some of his running game so I'm not sure I agree. Was it Milf and Kodi you were referring to?

Agreed Ostin.....Bird was proving a success at centre.....the road is clear for him now to be our best 3/4 so lets stick to that..

Ive talked at length about our recruitment needing to focus on a fullback....obviously with this switch now being permanent our next recruitment target long term probably needs to be a up and coming half.

What would folk here think of a Milford/Ponga switch in 2021..?
We need some speeeeeeddd!

Everyone knows you would've preferred Bennett over Seibold. I reckon you're blowing your load a little early. You may be proved right, but not yet.
Even if he ever was right I would never give him the satisfaction

Just saw Perese on channel 9, looks like bit of a thick unit in the number 3. Wonder how far away he is from taking out Shibasaki?

Who do you think partners Dearden? I still think Dearden and Milford made a good halves pairing but if Milford is going to fullback, I'm not sure who plays 5/8. Boyd, Turpin, Paix, Dargan, O'Sullivan are our options it seems.
I think it all depends on how Turpin goes in 9 tbh. Paix was re signed as our long term 9, but the rise of turps since macca went down has shaken things up a little I believe.
Paix or sos could go into 6 with dearden at 7.l, if turps kills it. I still think milf could end up back at 6, if ales can land a decent fb. Still can’t understand why we didn’t go after drinkwater.

Still can’t understand why we didn’t go after drinkwater.

how do you know we didn't?

we didn't sign him, but that doesn't mean we didn't go after him. it may have been that Drinkwater though he had a better chance of a start at the Cowboys.

I think the fact that he didn't disgrace himself and had solid defense is the part that gets us excited. The kid is 18 years old, was thrown into a struggling team and held his own. Should have a try assist but Gillette dropped it. The other teams were targeting him every match, big forwards rolling down his edge and he was up for it. We won 3 of the 4 matches he played. As an 18 year old stepping into the NRL, his priority has to be making the tackles and from there his attack will grow so it's not that hard to understand why we remain optimistic about where the Broncos are headed with him in the halves.
Cronks advice on 360 for him was make your tackles and get your kicking game in order. Great advice and I think the young fella was taking it on board.

I think it was Anasta who just said on Fox, how can a side that that was in contention for a premiership this year, definitely a top 4 candidate, be in a rebuilding phase, I'm sick of the excuses, he said. Fair question I would have thought.

The move of Milf to fullback could be a ploy to get Milf back into a running mentality.... I think Milf's current mindset is a structured game managing halfback.

Playing fullback he's basically required to think run first or at least be watching and reacting to the defensive line rather than looking beside him to make sure the team is getting him into the right position for a kick.

First it was attempted to manufacture Bhunt into a game managing pass first halfback then when he was taken attention turned to Milf and turning him into a long term halfback... getting Milf back into a run first position and not having to think about the rest of the team could change his entire mindset for a second stint in the halves later on.

I think in the long run Milf as a first receiver ball running half could be a scary proposition.

The move of Milf to fullback could be a ploy to get Milf back into a running mentality.... I think Milf's current mindset is a structured game managing halfback.

Playing fullback he's basically required to think run first or at least be watching and reacting to the defensive line rather than looking beside him to make sure the team is getting him into the right position for a kick.

First it was attempted to manufacture Bhunt into a game managing pass first halfback then when he was taken attention turned to Milf and turning him into a long term halfback... getting Milf back into a run first position and not having to think about the rest of the team could change his entire mindset for a second stint in the halves later on.

I think in the long run Milf as a first receiver ball running half could be a scary proposition.
Speaking of milf, any updates on his injury? Still indefinite?

Speaking of milf, any updates on his injury? Still indefinite?

Could be as early as next week, he had a cortisone and now it's just a matter of whether he can tolerate the pain. If not, he will have to go for surgery which is 6 weeks or there abouts. If he can deal with the pain, he'll get surgery at season's end.

Active Now

• Galah
  • NSW stables
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Johnny92
  • Battler
  • Harry Sack
  • Redux
  • Allo
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.