Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its fair to say Bennett has to take some blame to a point as he has an input. At the same time, if he is going to get the criticism for the likes of Macca and Boyd from some on here, why isnt he being roundly praised for Staggs, Carrigan, Flegler, Oates, Fifita, Haas, TPJ, Lodge etc who were all recruited on his watch. Despite my reservations at the time, the Haas deal look about the best bit of contract business we have done ever. I dont see too many of the anti Wayne cult giving him a pat on the back for that ( which they shouldnt anyway, because he was just a part of the process ).

It's because as great as those signings are the Macca, Boyd, and Gillett signings are all completely fucking terrible and suck major balls.

Last edited:
I would have thought Louise Lanigan being a salary cap manager would have been more about what they have to spend each year and not about who is being signed and what their value is.

So she’s definitely more involved than just saying ‘hey guys you only have x-amount of money left. Spend it wisely’

I mean I’m sure that’s a lot of her job, but they clearly get her input as to positional spending, no doubt the specific players themselves

Last edited:
Crash frequents BHQ confirmed:

ONSIDE
BRONCOS NEED DIRECTION

Any chance James Maloney can pop into Brisbane for a cameo visit on the way to England?

The Broncos have had a disappointing winter but their squad is maturing by the week and when all their injured players return, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

The last piece in the puzzle could be a seasoned voice to steer them around the park next season, with Matty Johns saying “they have a V12 engine but no steering wheel’’.

Maloney may be 33 and talking about finishing his career in England but he might have one last big kick.

Broncos recruiting committee member Darren Lockyer is a big Maloney fan. Surely he is worth a call.

The relevant bit from here: https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...r/news-story/a1b90a144466dc1d772be590f5ff2f6e

So she’s definitely more involved than just saying ‘hey guys you only have x-amount of money left. Spend it wisely’

I mean I’m sure that’s a lot of her job, but they clearly get her input as to positional spending, no doubt the specific players themselves
Pretty much the money side of things from reading that.
Don't get me wrong she does a great job but she is not going to the coach,white,Nolan or Lockyer saying we need x player lets find a way to make it happen.

So Wayne does decide which players get contracts, Lanigan just score l

That's the opposite of what I took from that article.

I would say her main role is someone coming in and saying we want to offer $Y for X years. How will that leave us and who else is left off contract??

Surprised they only look 3 years in advance considering we're handing out 4-6 year contracts.

Wonder if they also take into account likely future contracts like Dearden, Coates, etc. in the future when they will require an upgrade.

Wonder if they also take into account likely future contracts like Dearden, Coates, etc. in the future when they will require an upgrade.
I sincerely hope so. Roosters and Storm seem to understand that bit better then most. It’s no coincidence they are always top of the table.

I would have thought Louise Lanigan being a salary cap manager would have been more about what they have to spend each year and not about who is being signed and what their value is.

She would have to be involved in contract values, its her job to make sure we are compliant and dont go over.

She would have to be involved in contract values, its her job to make sure we are compliant and dont go over.

Yeah but not to that extent, she is managing the budget, not deciding how much individual players will get in negotiations.

It would be something like "Ok, but if you are spending this much on Boyd, Gillett and Macca you will only have X amount left for the rest of the squad"

Ultimately, Wayne's involvement or ownership of the cap is always going to come down to how we are performing for those that never wanted him moved on.

If we were in the top 4 with no or minimal changes to the team the storyline would be about the amazing position Wayne left us in with this squad and how well he has managed the cap. Vice versa, when we are in our current position outside the 8 with mass changes forced to our cap issues the storyline is "Wayne has nothing to do with contracts, this is all Louise's fault".

FTA:
"Wayne will say, 'I want this person,' and Pete and I will go away and look at the numbers and work out what our ballpark is of what we can afford to offer. That's how it starts.

It's in the article.
"I have to veto any offer that goes out to players. They basically won't speak to a manager and talk any numbers without speaking to me first.

"Wayne will say, 'I want this person,' and Pete and I will go away and look at the numbers and work out what our ballpark is of what we can afford to offer. That's how it starts."

Ultimately, Wayne's involvement or ownership of the cap is always going to come down to how we are performing for those that never wanted him moved on.

If we were in the top 4 with no or minimal changes to the team the storyline would be about the amazing position Wayne left us in with this squad and how well he has managed the cap. Vice versa, when we are in our current position outside the 8 with mass changes forced to our cap issues the storyline is "Wayne has nothing to do with contracts, this is all Louise's fault".
No it wouldn't. If Siebold took us to the gf this year the talk would be mostly how Seibold got more out of the squad than Wayne could.
[automerge]1563747339[/automerge]
I sincerely hope so. Roosters and Storm seem to understand that bit better then most. It’s no coincidence they are always top of the table.
They're also really good at moving on players they don't want any more without paying part of their wages.

Last edited:
I think our current cap situation proves that WB is not a great modern day manager.

Macca: 4 years - 2 in favour and solid money
Boyd 4 years - 2 in favour and 700k
Bird: Arrived injured and 700k
Gillett: 5 years and 700k
Milf: 1 Million, but no support around him to let him be the player her needed to be.

These were all overseen by WB and is literally screwing us now.
Oh, did he? Who signed Haas, Lodge? The board, same as all the other players. Misplaced blame to support an agenda. It's fine to incorrectly blame WB but it's equally incorrect to credit him with signing Haas to an extremely favourable to the club contract.

Most people think that because Bennett has famously always controlled everything at the club. Further to that there was strong sentiment that the move to push him out was due to the fact that he had too much control.

Add to that the fact that when he went to Souths he was told he wouldn’t have the same control you can’t blame people for thinking that he had full control of recruitment etc.
Wrong. It's the right reason for when he left THE FIRST TIME. When he returned for hissecond stint he had no where near the same control as he'd had previously. 2+2= 47. Right reason, wrong years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Fitzy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Old Mate
  • whykickamoocow
  • the_next
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • peter09
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Fozz
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Dash
  • The True King
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.