Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
That money could be better spent and they could invest that in somebody with a higher ceiling. Kennar is a mediocre player and the longer they commit to these players that disgraced this club the harder it is for them to be competitive. The Broncos made the mistake last pre-season when they committed to 36 players only a couple of weeks into the pre-season, they should be keeping as many spots open as possible.

However it's not official yet so I may have jumped the gun. I just think this idea of signing bad players because they're cheap is frought with danger. See Des Hasler circa 2016-now.

The bolded is what I see as one of the many problems that the Broncos have fallen into over the last few years. Constantly chasing the next high ceiling or kid with potential. Kennar's ceiling isn't high but his floor isn't as low as some of the highly paid spuds we have. For someone fairly well down the depth chart I am happy to have an honest toiler that plays with motivation and effort.

Blindside Bronco

Blindside Bronco

Broncos Fanboy
Oct 17, 2019
Blah blah blah etc etc etc Yada Yada Yada

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The bolded is what I see as one of the many problems that the Broncos have fallen into over the last few years. Constantly chasing the next high ceiling or kid with potential. Kennar's ceiling isn't high but his floor isn't as low as some of the highly paid spuds we have. For someone fairly well down the depth chart I am happy to have an honest toiler that plays with motivation and effort.

Like who? They've barely signed anybody since 2016 and the players Seibold brought in were all mediocre or drug cheats.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Like who? They've barely signed anybody since 2016 and the players Seibold brought in were all mediocre or drug cheats.

I'm not sure what you are saying. Why does keeping an average player on the cheap impact them signing other players that are better?

My other issue is bringing Kevvie down for this signing just seems like having the boot already in the air ready to put it in.

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I'm not sure what you are saying. Why does keeping an average player on the cheap impact them signing other players that are better?

My other issue is bringing Kevvie down for this signing just seems like having the boot already in the air ready to put it in.

Because you only have so many spots in the squad, there's no point having 300K spare when all your 30 players are here and counted for. It can be especially bad when you get the balance wrong.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Because you only have so many spots in the squad, there's no point having 300K spare when all your 30 players are here and counted for. It can be especially bad when you get the balance wrong.

With how bad our cap position is if we somehow ended up with anything spare I would take that as a win.

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
Damn, this is the first time I’ve seen Big Pete emotional. It really has been a tough season.
Probably just stressed out from trying to make a decision based on the compelling arguments presented around whether Serena is a man or if Paul gained advantages from his extra-curricular activities.

It’s taken a toll on all of us.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
With how bad our cap position is if we somehow ended up with anything spare I would take that as a win.

It won't be in 2022, unless they keep signing duds from this era.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
First time I’ve disagreed with @Big Pete too. I think Kenner actually improved the more games he played for us. He was greatly improved under the high ball so much so that they all just went straight for Oates when kicking. He never shirked the hard carries out of our own 20 either. Admittedly he was invariably crumpled in the tackle and made only one or two metres, but he was adapt at getting quick ptbs and winning us a 6 again call When he did get crunched.

As there is very little on the market in terms of cheap fillers we might as well reward his obvious efforts. Who knows, perhaps he’ll bulk up over the off season and make a few more yards for us. We’re already missing Boyd and staggs and will be trying to ease Bird back into a real game. Added to this we have Oates destined for the 2nd row (we all hope).

so I’ll give Kevvie the benefit of the doubt on this one if he’s signed for another two.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
i be fair the way oates was catching them you would have to be of diminished capacity to be kicking anywhere else

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
When I think of shit wingers, I think of the times Maranta kept fucking up or Oates doing more harm than good towards the end of the year. Someone who actually loses you games.
The way Kennar played, was sort of like Maranta when Maranta didn't make too many mistakes. He was catching the ball without any mistakes, he was looking to work the ball out, his positioning was fine in attack.
If Kennar was our first choice option, then it would be pretty shit. However he's on minimum wage, he seems like he wants to be there and put in unlike some other entitled players. He certainly never lost us any games.
I just don't see how it's a horrible signing for what it is.

Judging by this, I'd hate to see Pete's reaction if Gamble re-signed.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Kevs after a second rower.
However, if Smith plays on, we are making a big play for Grant. May mean Turpin is shown the door however
That says TPJ will be up front then.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Judging by this, I'd hate to see Pete's reaction if Gamble re-signed.

Pretty sure he's already re-signed which just adds to the issue.

Wingers are fairly dime a dozen, so they chose to sign a slow plodder. You say Maranta, I say Manihera.

Last edited:
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
We're not even two weeks into his reign and Kevie is already making blues.

I had to triple check the username to make sure this was a BP post, very surprising. I know where you're coming from, 100%. But I think it's a bit of an overreaction.

Every side has a few veteran plodders that are just there for depth. For me the perfect comparison is Sandor Earl. Does he have any upside? No. Will he ever win you a match with individual brilliance? Absolutely not. Should Bellamy be criticised for keeping him around for several years despite these facts? Not really.

Unfortunately you can't just fill every slot with high upside, youthful players. Every side needs veterans, every side needs 'reliable depth', which is what I'd call Kennar at this stage. Won't win you a game, but probably won't underperform so badly that he'll lose you a game if you're forced to play him in a pinch either.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
Is Coates a lock for one wing spot next year and if so who is competing for the other?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I had to triple check the username to make sure this was a BP post, very surprising. I know where you're coming from, 100%. But I think it's a bit of an overreaction.

Every side has a few veteran plodders that are just there for depth. For me the perfect comparison is Sandor Earl. Does he have any upside? No. Will he ever win you a match with individual brilliance? Absolutely not. Should Bellamy be criticised for keeping him around for several years despite these facts? Not really.

Unfortunately you can't just fill every slot with high upside, youthful players. Every side needs veterans, every side needs 'reliable depth', which is what I'd call Kennar at this stage. Won't win you a game, but probably won't underperform so badly that he'll lose you a game if you're forced to play him in a pinch either.
I wouldn’t call Kennar a vet. He’s played 5 more games than Herbie, and significantly less games than Haas and Carrigan.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

I disagree with that comparison.

First off, you're comparing Melbourne one of the best teams of the past decade to the reigning wooden spooners. The side is led around by Cameron Smith arguably the best player of all-time and he's got a fantastic supporting cast - they have their priorities straight. I'd also argue that Sandor Earl has a higher ceiling and if you go back and watch his earlier days he was capable of some freakish tries. He was a project player who Bellamy brought in because he could afford to since he had winners - Brisbane don't.

Ability wise Richie Kennar and Sandor Earl are nothing alike either. Kennar is Manihera 2.0 who just makes metres inside his own half and offers nothing else. Earl, especially in his younger days was like Kyle Feldt. Awful hands but he was capable of scoring some unbelievable tries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.