Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Henjak was the coach and the problem wasn't the Broncos, it was the NRL salary cap auditor umming and ahhing about Greg's legal case. It was a real pain in the arse because nobody wanted to pay the legal bills. Inglis insisted the legal team was forced on him by Melbourne and he didn't want to pay the inorbitant fee and the Broncos couldn't accommodate it in their salary cap.

Souths then jumped the gun, offered a contract which hadn't actually been cleared with the NRL and they had to make multiple revisions to it before it could pass muster.
Got to love the new word BP a combination of exorbitant and inordinate.....presenting INORBITANT !!!! Apparently it's the ant that was on the underside of the last resupply mission to the space station an IN ORBIT ANT !!!

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
You think that’s bad. I got told a story this week about the Broncos and Slater.
Slater signed a contract with the Storm for 2002 for $6500. It was only for 12 months so end of 2002 and a pretty good ISC year he was up a contract. Bennett instructed one of his staff to offer him $40,000 after Bennett and Bunn had watched him play ISC they met with him too. The said staff member didn’t like the look of Slater and wanted to use the $40000 to buy three other guys. Bennett said no.

Storm offered Slater $20,000 and Broncos $40000 and he went with the Storm because they’d given him a crack the two years previous playing Colts in 2001 when he scored 34 tries and made the Grand Final and ISC in 2002 when Norths were in the prelim final.

He went down and did the pre-season for 2003 competing for the two spots Melbourne had in their roster and got one with Johnson the other.

Yep, I think that about sums up that period. We really took the foot off the ball with respect to recruiting at that time. We were certainly resting on our laurels, while others were signing future immortals...

I assume that staff member didn't keep his job for long? I wonder if he was the one who thought Thurston too small and too slow as well?

Last edited:
Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I didn't know this. I assumed Melbourne picked up the bill.

It's one of the things that stunk with Inglis. If you read about what went on in Melbourne, the players were just used to snapping their fingers and getting whatever they wanted during contract negotiations, even if it was illegal / outside the cap. Obviously he thought that demanding his new club pay for his legal fees was a reasonable expectation. But to do so would have to have been included in the cap. Hence why Souths got Mundine to do it.

It's a grey one. You could argue that Mundine only did it so that he'd sign with Souths, and technically that is not allowed as 3rd party payments are not allowed to be conditional with playing for a certain club. But it's not actually a payment to Inglis, it's a payment to the legal team. Messy.

On top of that, Souths tried to sign him for $190k under the cap, with the majority of his deal coming from 3rd party stuff. The NRL however investigated and found that a heap of it was conditional to him playing for Souths (like a deal with a Redfern car dealership) and eventually they were forced to have $650k of his contract included in the cap. I think this is what @Big Pete was alluding to, in that he signed a deal that was not yet approved by the NRL, whereas Brisbane were spending the time getting it all checked and approved first.

Horseheadsup

Horseheadsup

NRL Player
Mar 21, 2016
It's one of the things that stunk with Inglis. If you read about what went on in Melbourne, the players were just used to snapping their fingers and getting whatever they wanted during contract negotiations, even if it was illegal / outside the cap. Obviously he thought that demanding his new club pay for his legal fees was a reasonable expectation. But to do so would have to have been included in the cap. Hence why Souths got Mundine to do it.

It's a grey one. You could argue that Mundine only did it so that he'd sign with Souths, and technically that is not allowed as 3rd party payments are not allowed to be conditional with playing for a certain club. But it's not actually a payment to Inglis, it's a payment to the legal team. Messy.

On top of that, Souths tried to sign him for $190k under the cap, with the majority of his deal coming from 3rd party stuff. The NRL however investigated and found that a heap of it was conditional to him playing for Souths (like a deal with a Redfern car dealership) and eventually they were forced to have $650k of his contract included in the cap. I think this is what @Big Pete was alluding to, in that he signed a deal that was not yet approved by the NRL, whereas Brisbane were spending the time getting it all checked and approved first.
Thanks @Morkel, for the explanation. Had no idea Mundine was involved.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Yep, I think that about sums up that period. We really took the foot off the ball with respect to recruiting at that time. We were certainly resting on our laurels, while others were signing future immortals...

I assume that staff member didn't keep his job for long? I wonder if he was the one who thought Thurston too small and too slow as well?

I mean staff thinking they can better use $40k on another player isn't new and those discussions happen all the time. It's not like Melbourne was beating down his door either.

Brisbane offered twice as much and he didn't take it- you can't do too much more.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Sutton is decent imo. Runs good lines. Would be good at the Broncos. But he wont come here as we would not pay him enough money.
Sutton is actually lazy AF when it comes to second row work ethic.

My uncle is a bunnies fan and has been bagging him his entire career because for such a big unit he never puts his body on the line.

His worth comes in his ball playing ability but that's about as much as you're going to get from him.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
John Sutton - 76.1 minutes, 10.3 runs, 83.4 metres, 22 tackles
Alex Glenn - 59.9 minutes, 10.4 runs, 100.4 metres, 25 tackles

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.png

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I've always rated Sutton and I'm unsure if ALL the criticism of him was merited. No doubt some was deserved but he has been in that rare class of player who could actually create chances for others. I'd venture to say he has all the skills in a big frame and probably never liked having a dumbed down role.

PerthBrissy987

PerthBrissy987

NRL Player
Dec 8, 2016
I've always rated Sutton and I'm unsure if ALL the criticism of him was merited. No doubt some was deserved but he has been in that rare class of player who could actually create chances for others. I'd venture to say he has all the skills in a big frame and probably never liked having a dumbed down role.

Hes about to resign with the bunnies

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
Oh, so he's a chance to come to Brisbane. I'm wondering who'll sign him then ....wonder how much he'll cost now that he's leaving the Bunnies !!!!!
Re-sign, not resign? Never really heard of a playing resigning. Retiring yes, resigning no.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Re-sign, not resign? Never really heard of a playing resigning. Retiring yes, resigning no.
Err, kinda know the difference and I was having a laugh.....thought you may have understood that

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Sutton is so meh. Has never been particularly good. His best football somehow ended up being at 5/8th too, even though everyone can see he's more forward than half...and it wasn't that good for a "best football" either.

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
Err, kinda know the difference and I was having a laugh.....thought you may have understood that
Just about anyone that knows me knows I'm as sarcastic as they come. Having re-read your comment, your being sarcastic is still not clear (to me at least) - but I'll take your word for it!

It could be because they say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit - so I'm doomed before I even start?

Last edited:
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Just about anyone that knows me knows I'm as sarcastic as they come. Having re-read your comment, your being sarcastic is still not clear (to me at least) - but I'll take your word for it!

It could be because they say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit - so I'm doomed before I even start?
Mmm, sarcasm seems to be a bit strong as I was going for tongue in cheek humour. A bit like a muffled or tacit spelling correction and I'm pretty certain most picked it up ....no matter

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
Mmm, sarcasm seems to be a bit strong as I was going for tongue in cheek humour. A bit like a muffled or tacit spelling correction and I'm pretty certain most picked it up ....no matter
Any chance we can run a poll on that, put this matter to bed? Otherwise you're just speaking on behalf of phantom poll participants like Malcolm and Bill and all their mates in the mad-house that is Australian politics.

Joking. All good.

On another note, I admire a good understanding of the English language and had certainly never heard 'tacit' - good word! I'll keep that one in the memory bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  • broncsgoat
  • broncos4life
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • leon.bott
  • Maroon4life
  • Santa
  • Fozz
  • MrMoore
  • Fitzy
  • thenry
  • GCBRONCO
  • Redfern_1980
  • Bish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.