Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's still $875k a year, certainly not chump change.

We've also gotta remember that we're going to be offering him this deal for 2019 onward, which means any contracts expiring in 2018 will open up cap for Taylor, at this stage our players off contract at the end of next season are Isaako, Oates, Opacic, M.Pangai, T.Pangai, Sims, Su'A, Thaiday. We should be able to retain Isaako, Opacic & Su'A without breaking the bank, hopefully TPJ & Oates are willing to take a moderate offer to stick around as well.

Losing Thaiday's $400k and whatever Sims is on should go a long way to covering Taylor's pay cheque.

If I recall Korbin Sims took a sizable paycut when signing with the Broncos, you would still have to replace him in the lineup and from that I don't know if you would free a lot from it. Thaiday is a fair bit though yes.

If I recall Korbin Sims took a sizable paycut when signing with the Broncos, you would still have to replace him in the lineup and from that I don't know if you would free a lot from it. Thaiday is a fair bit though yes.

My recollection is that it was a back-ended deal, like minimum for year one followed by decent coin in year two, could be wrong.

If hypothetically getting Taylor would cost us TPJ and Oates, I would prefer to throw Paix in at halfback in 2019 instead.

Wouldn't be shocked if we lost Oates either way. He's obviously adamant about playing in the back row, and I'm not sure if we can accommodate him. That's the reason he only signed a 1 year extension, because he wanted to be playing on the edge by the time his next contract comes around so he can demand more money.

If it comes down to him putting us over a barrel and saying "pay me like a back rower or I'm looking elsewhere" it might be sayonara to Coates. I'm quite content with Glenn & Gillett for the next couple of years, at which point guys like Su'A & Fifita should be barging the door down.

My recollection is that it was a back-ended deal, like minimum for year one followed by decent coin in year two, could be wrong.

Knights pay all of 2017 except about $50k that we chip in. But we’re paying his full 2018. It wouldn’t be much though, not enough to free up meaningful cash, knowing that we’d have to put someone else in at the minimum wage at least, unless there were zero plans to use him moving forward.

Don't break the bank for Taylor and bring through a halfback for a lot less.

If hypothetically getting Taylor would cost us TPJ and Oates, I would prefer to throw Paix in at halfback in 2019 instead.
The club have some big decisions over the next few years. Taylor, Paix, T Boyd, Milford. KNik, JNik. The list goes on. We’re going to have to pass on/let the right ones go.

The club have some big decisions over the next few years. Taylor, Paix, T Boyd, Milford. KNik, JNik. The list goes on. We’re going to have to pass on/let the right ones go.

Massive decisions.

The good news is that even if we make the wrong decision we can just sign them back a couple of years later because we're the Broncos.

You know that isn't always true, especially if they end up at Melbourne. I would probably not sign Taylor and invest in the young guys coming through to save money to keep the guys we already have.

Its a good position to be in. Hopefully, the competition will let the cream rise to the top.

I would probably not sign Taylor and invest in the young guys coming through to save money to keep the guys we already have.

No offence, but you would do a lot of things that I strongly disagree with.

Of course it'd be nice to save room in the cap so that we can hypothetically keep more of these young guys around who might one day end up being 75% as good as Ash Taylor is right now.. but I'm of the opinion that I don't care what it takes, if Ash is available, pay him.

If we have Milford & Taylor locked up long-term, nothing else matters, I don't give a flying **** about some kids coming through the 18's & 20's who have potential, they can stick around a la Hunt biding his time behind Lockyer & Wallace, or they can try their luck elsewhere, it's inconsequential to us as we'll have 2 guys in their early 20's with a real shot at being the best halves combination in the sport for the next 10 years.

Its a good position to be in. Hopefully, the competition will let the cream rise to the top.

Or we could just pick the best talent and just focus on them like Melbourne do well.

No offence, but you would do a lot of things that I strongly disagree with.

Of course it'd be nice to save room in the cap so that we can hypothetically keep more of these young guys around who might one day end up being 75% as good as Ash Taylor is right now.. but I'm of the opinion that I don't care what it takes, if Ash is available, pay him.

If we have Milford & Taylor locked up long-term, nothing else matters, I don't give a flying **** about some kids coming through the 18's & 20's who have potential, they can stick around a la Hunt biding his time behind Lockyer & Wallace, or they can try their luck elsewhere, it's inconsequential to us as we'll have 2 guys in their early 20's with a real shot at being the best halves combination in the sport for the next 10 years.

None taken and likewise. Just my opinion. I wouldn't want to lose TPJ and Fifita to get Taylor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Santa
  • NSW stables
  • Broncorob
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Astro
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.