Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Or you know, he could've either not dropped the ball or more realistically, not hung the ball out to the side to have it taken off him by Feldt. And then it wouldn't have been Brisbane's problem to 'retain him', as he would've stuck around with his mates and had a 2-3 year period of dominance as a reward for their seven years (between the GF loss and the U20 GF loss) of hard work.

But no, he lost it on not one but three plays, and then proceeded to have a 'form slump' for several years before taking the glory contract with the Dragons.

You can only wonder how different this squad would be if not for Hunt's five minutes of madness. Instead, let's focus on Niko and the 'lack of quality options in the market'.

Then again, maybe this squad in general is used to being the perennial losers given their U20 GF loss, the GF loss and the 9's loss.

Good times, it'll turn around soon I'm sure.

I genuinely don't know what to make of this post.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

That's a lot of money for Jarrod Wallace.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
This will be controversial (probably) but good retention by the Titans, I'm beginning to think they know what they are doing.

These days, you need to build a core group (ala Melbourne) and build around that. You need:

1. Star
2. Speed
3. Star / Good Defence
4. Good Defense / Star
5. Speed / Size
6. Star / Good Kick
7. Good Kick / Star
8. Star / Workhorse
9. Star / Speed
10. Workhorse / Star
11. Big minutes
12. Big minutes
13. Star / Impact

14. Speed / Impact
15. Journeyman / defense
16. Young 'un
17. Young 'un / enthusiasm

Basically - You need at least two superstars in the halves and have a star at one of the other spine spots / centre / prop / backrow. You then build around that.

Using the Storm as the model:

1. Slater (Superstar)
3. Chambers (Star)
6. Munster (Star)
7. Jacks (Kicker)
8. Bromwich (Star)
9. Smith (Superstar)
12. Kaufusi (Star)

Compare that to the Broncs model:

1. Boyd ('Superstar')
3. Roberts (Superstar)
4. Bird ('Superstar')
6. Milf (Superstar)
7. KNik ('kicker')
8. Lodge (Star)
9. Macca (Above Average)
12. Gillett (Superstar)
13. McGuire (Star (at 13))

That balance is wrong because of overpaying some and risking losing others. It isn't completely wrong though and if Wayne still has it in him, needs to just tweak the side a bit and they could even challenge this year.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
You have to be fair though, we tried to sign a proven halfback and couldn't afford to match the offer he got elsewhere, same with Ben Hunt, we couldn't compete financially to keep him. I'd love a good halfback, but there just aren't any on the market. Our only option. Would be to try to shuffle the cards, move some players around try to swap one in. We would probably lose a player, maybe 2 we want to keep but its probably the only option we have

I'd actually be happy with Somebody like Adam Reynolds if he could stay fit a bit more. Has the control and kicking game to compliment Milf.

If we ‘can’t compete’ with what these other quality Halfbacks are asking for, then it’s perhaps us who have the problem determining what constitutes a fair asking price or decent value in the current market.

Fair play to Hunt and Taylor, they both knew the true value of their position in a market where top shelf Halves are in ever shortening supply, and they now have contracts that accurately reflect that, whilst we refuse to cough up the cash and consequently are looking like missing the finals not only this year but at this stage we’ll be missing them next year too.

If top shelf Halves in the current market are asking 800-1million a season and getting it and we can’t afford that, then it’s not the Halves who are being unreasonable, it’s us who have not planned our roster and ongoing contracts properly and are facing the consequences of that.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
If we ‘can’t compete’ with what these other quality Halfbacks are asking for, then it’s perhaps us who have the problem determining what constitutes a fair asking price or decent value in the current market.

Fair play to Hunt and Taylor, they both knew the true value of their position in a market where top shelf Halves are in ever shortening supply, and they now have contracts that accurately reflect that, whilst we refuse to cough up the cash and consequently are looking like missing the finals not only this year but at this stage we’ll be missing them next year too.

If top shelf Halves in the current market are asking 800-1million a season and getting it and we can’t afford that, then it’s not the Halves who are being unreasonable, it’s us who have not planned our roster and ongoing contracts properly and are facing the consequences of that.
The thing is, it's not even about signing a top shelf halfback. Merely an adequate one that masks the deficiencies/compliments the strengths of the other. Someone who is a good defender, good kicker, can manage the game. It doesn't have to be a Cronk, or a Clearly, or a Taylor - it just has to be someone who can steer the ship and settle us down and allow our other half and players to do their thing.

I've said it before but someone like Shane Perry would be a godsend to this team right now. He could do all of the above adequately. He was never a superstar (although he was quite handy at Q Cup level!) but he complimented Locky well and as a result we were a much more well-rounded side.

Are we seriously suggesting there is no one available, at all, at any level, in any grade that cannot do the aforementioned?

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
To truely put in perspective just how poorly the Broncos have managed and continue to manage this problem, just take a look at Manly for a moment.

This is a club with a perennially basket case front office and a rookie Coach, who have factually been proven to be in breach of the salary cap, who had one Half break down in Croker, another thrown on on the scrap heap in Hastings, and they’re about to pull of signing Trent Hodkinson mid season to solve their Halves dilemma.

Contrast that with our total inaction and resolve to just keep playing a makeshift Dummy Half there regardless of how badly is playing out, and it really makes you question just how out of touch the guys in charge are at the moment.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
The thing is, it's not even about signing a top shelf halfback. Merely an adequate one that masks the deficiencies/compliments the strengths of the other. Someone who is a good defender, good kicker, can manage the game. It doesn't have to be a Cronk, or a Clearly, or a Taylor - it just has to be someone who can steer the ship and settle us down and allow our other half and players to do their thing.

I've said it before but someone like Shane Perry would be a godsend to this team right now. He could do all of the above adequately. He was never a superstar (although he was quite handy at Q Cup level!) but he complimented Locky well and as a result we were a much more well-rounded side.

Are we seriously suggesting there is no one available, at all, at any level, in any grade that cannot do the aforementioned?

There has absolutely been players available who could have done that job for us. To pretend otherwise is complete nonsense. It’s not even like we’ve been outbid on them either, we simply haven’t even been interested in putting an offer out there, and that in my books is just inexcusable given our current predicament.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

I dont think for one moment Hunt or Taylor would have expected the offers they got. They were ludicrously over the top. There wasnt exactly a huge number of number 7's on the market either iirc. Its not like we are refusing to cough up the cash, we just didnt have it.

Technically, we paid " decent market value " for Milf plus we resigned others, and if we want to keep players like TPJ, Lodge, Sua, Haas etc we will probably have to pay them the new market value. We have a cap to balance, so we have to pick and choose wisely.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013

Isn't dargan the junior nsw halfback? Surely he must have some half back skills that can be utilised. He's another potential half back that'll leave because he can't get a crack here.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Isn't dargan the junior nsw halfback? Surely he must have some half back skills that can be utilised. He's another potential half back that'll leave because he can't get a crack here.
if I'm honest I don't know much about Dargan apart from what people have mentioned on here, apparently he's only recently come back from a decent injury so he's still coming upto speed.

What i do know is that if we try the same thing over and over we will get the same result. IMO what we are doing at the moment is not working, yes we have 5 wins but 3 of those are by 4 points or less, with all three of those being fortuitous in some capacity (bolton running into the post, incorrect penalty against the tigers, last minute penalty against the dogs).

Not exactly convincing.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
This will be controversial (probably) but good retention by the Titans, I'm beginning to think they know what they are doing.

These days, you need to build a core group (ala Melbourne) and build around that. You need:

1. Star
2. Speed
3. Star / Good Defence
4. Good Defense / Star
5. Speed / Size
6. Star / Good Kick
7. Good Kick / Star
8. Star / Workhorse
9. Star / Speed
10. Workhorse / Star
11. Big minutes
12. Big minutes
13. Star / Impact

14. Speed / Impact
15. Journeyman / defense
16. Young 'un
17. Young 'un / enthusiasm

Basically - You need at least two superstars in the halves and have a star at one of the other spine spots / centre / prop / backrow. You then build around that.

Using the Storm as the model:

1. Slater (Superstar)
3. Chambers (Star)
6. Munster (Star)
7. Jacks (Kicker)
8. Bromwich (Star)
9. Smith (Superstar)
12. Kaufusi (Star)

Compare that to the Broncs model:

1. Boyd ('Superstar')
3. Roberts (Superstar)
4. Bird ('Superstar')
6. Milf (Superstar)
7. KNik ('kicker')
8. Lodge (Star)
9. Macca (Above Average)
12. Gillett (Superstar)
13. McGuire (Star (at 13))

That balance is wrong because of overpaying some and risking losing others. It isn't completely wrong though and if Wayne still has it in him, needs to just tweak the side a bit and they could even challenge this year.

I like Milford, and think he's on the right path with his attitude and slow improvement, but he's no superstar yet. He's doing a good job being the only quality attacking spine player in our current side, but his assists numbers are terrible and he's far from being the type of quality player he was in 2015 and early 2016.

Munster, while probably more limited in his potential than Milford, is much more superstar right now IMO.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
I dont think for one moment Hunt or Taylor would have expected the offers they got. They were ludicrously over the top. There wasnt exactly a huge number of number 7's on the market either iirc. Its not like we are refusing to cough up the cash, we just didnt have it.

Technically, we paid " decent market value " for Milf plus we resigned others, and if we want to keep players like TPJ, Lodge, Sua, Haas etc we will probably have to pay them the new market value. We have a cap to balance, so we have to pick and choose wisely.

How are they ‘ludicrously over the top’ if that’s consistently the sort of money that quality Halves are getting these days? You already said they’re in dwindling supply, which anyone would tell you only serves to increase their value.

I may not feel that a home in Sydney is worth $1million+, but the reality is plenty of people do and they’re prepared to pay it, so that’s what they’re realistically worth, whether I agree or not. That’s just the basics of a free market in any context.

I go back to my point: if we ‘can’t afford’ a quality Halfback, and you require a quality Halfback to be competitive, then we simply haven’t managed our roster properly.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
How are they ‘ludicrously over the top’ if that’s consistently the sort of money that quality Halves are getting these days? You already said they’re in dwindling supply, which anyone would tell you only serves to increase their value.

I may not feel that a home in Sydney is worth $1million+, but the reality is plenty of people do and they’re prepared to pay it, so that’s what they’re realistically worth, whether I agree or not. That’s just the basics of a free market in any context.

I go back to my point: if we ‘can’t afford’ a quality Halfback, and you require a quality Halfback to be competitive, then we simply haven’t managed our roster properly.

Taylor's was definitely over the top. GC were stupid to give him anything in the vicinity of a mil a season. Hunt hadn't been consistently great for us in 2 years. The fresh start at a new club did him wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.