Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
What does 2017 have to do with anything? The increased salary cap for 2018 was a foregone conclusion and considering that is the season we had to pay the money for then that’s the only year that matters.

If Widdop and Brooks are on half of what Taylor and Hunt are on and we didn’t even get a look in to sign either of them then that really only reinforces my point that we mismanaged our roster and our salary cap.

Saying Hunt and Taylor wanted too much money and passing on them is fine, but any idiot can tell you that without an NRL quality Halfback you’re going to be watching finals footy from the couch, so if we were happy to write them off as too expensive then what was our plan for getting a Halfback at a ‘good’ price then?

If I absolutely need to go to England but I don’t agree that a ticket on a plane is worth $2000 that’s fine, but I best be prepared to swim there instead, and at the moment the Broncos are trying to do the swimming.

Where is that Jean Luc Picard Meme with his head in his hand.

2017, the year they were offered their contracts. You said its the sort of money quality half backs are getting these days. When they were offered those contracts, it was 2017. Simple. Its not about what halves in 2018 are getting because its a different market. Again, pretty simple.

I'm also still waiting for players who we can sign and how we get them here. You are dodging that one. You must be a politician i'd say.

Your point about how we mismanaged the cap, even though its valid, is a different argument altogether. I'd agree though we have messed up our recruitment big time.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
my point still remains ... we are paying one of our halves $1 million a year ... we were never going to be able to get a second half on similar money ...

Exactly right, we mismanaged our salary cap and we don’t have the money to sign anyone to play the most key position in the side

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
You’re totally missing the point, I don’t care if we don’t sign Hunt or Taylor if we don’t perceive their value to be that high, but you can’t not sign anyone to play the position if you’re going to pass on them.

I’ve said repeatedly that I can accept we missed out on them both financially and we’ve tried to chance our luck without a proper Halfback this season, but it’s going disastrously at this point and we don’t seem to be doing anything to improve the situation whatsoever.

Manly can lose Croker three weeks ago and they’ve already lined up Trent Hodkinson to come over mid season, what the hell is our excuse?

Like i keep saying, who could we have signed for 2018 that we didnt go for. Hodkinson is a half decent shout, but when he inevitably breaks down, where do we go from there.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
You’re totally missing the point, I don’t care if we don’t sign Hunt or Taylor if we don’t perceive their value to be that high, but you can’t not sign anyone to play the position if you’re going to pass on them.

I’ve said repeatedly that I can accept we missed out on them both financially and we’ve tried to chance our luck without a proper Halfback this season, but it’s going disastrously at this point and we don’t seem to be doing anything to improve the situation whatsoever.

Manly can lose Croker three weeks ago and they’ve already lined up Trent Hodkinson to come over mid season, what the hell is our excuse?
We don't live an hour away from where he already lives..

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

Facepalm 1vwp7op

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
my point still remains ... we are paying one of our halves $1 million a year ... we were never going to be able to get a second half on similar money ...

You wont get an answer. He (or she ) is worse than Tony Abbott for avoiding questions.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

and apparently Hodkinson wants to stay in Sydney ... so unless we relocate the team south of the border Hodkinson wasn't an option

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017

2017, the year they were offered their contracts. You said its the sort of money quality half backs are getting these days. When they were offered those contracts, it was 2017. Simple. Its not about what halves in 2018 are getting because its a different market. Again, pretty simple.

I'm also still waiting for players who we can sign and how we get them here. You are dodging that one. You must be a politician i'd say.

Your point about how we mismanaged the cap, even though its valid, is a different argument altogether. I'd agree though we have messed up our recruitment big time.

You reckon you’re frustrated, bloody hell!

Ben Hunt already had a contract and was already playing for us in 2017! The contract offer was for 2018 and beyond, what part of that is a difficult concept to grasp?

His value in 2017 is irrelevant, we needed a Halfback for 2018 and the only thing that matters in that discussion is what the going rate for a Halfback in 2018 under a 2018 salary cap is worth.

As for dodging the examples, I’ve already raised Hodkinson several times, and I’ve also raised the fact that Melbourne have two young Queensland Halves on their books and only have room to play one of them, so that wouldn’t be a bad place to start either. If you’re not reading the things I’m writing properly then that’s really on you, but if you’re going to call someone out you at least owe them the courtesy of checking what’s being said.

Last edited:
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Exactly right, we mismanaged our salary cap and we don’t have the money to sign anyone to play the most key position in the side

you weren't even arguing about a "mis-managed" salary cap, you weren't arguing about whether we were over-paying Milford ...

you were arguing about us believing that the offers for Hunt and Taylor were too high ...

FTR, we reportedly offered Hunt about 700k - 800k a season, which damn near had this whole forum ready to march on Red Hill with flaming torches ... if we had have gotten near the 1.2 million he was offered by the DragQueens, the BHQ servers would have exploded

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
You reckon you’re frustrated, bloody hell!

Ben Hunt already had a contract and was already playing for us in 2017! The contract offer was for 2018 and beyond, what part of that is a difficult concept to grasp?

His value in 2017 is irrelevant, we needed a Halfback for 2018 and the only thing that matters in that discussion is what the going rate for a Halfback in 2018 under a 2018 salary cap is worth.

What year did Hunt sign his contract with the dragons. What year did Taylor extend his contract with the Titans. Unless im wrong ( and i'm not ) it was 2017, they signed in the 2017 market. Same year as we tried to keep one or sign the other. I'm really not sure what they are teaching 12 year olds, but you need to do more research. You sign players for 2018 in 2017 generally. There are exceptions, but not many. Case closed. Move on.

If we are trying to sign somebody now, its a different market.

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
Trent Hodkinson has been released why not offer him a $200k contract or what ever to get him here.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
What year did Hunt sign his contract with the dragons. What year did Taylor extend his contract with the Titans. Unless im wrong ( and i'm not ) it was 2017, they signed in the 2017 market. Same year as we tried to keep one or sign the other. I'm really not sure what they are teaching 12 year olds, but you need to do more research. You sign players for 2018 in 2017 generally. There are exceptions, but not many. Case closed. Move on.

If we are trying to sign somebody now, its a different market.

Are you honestly that simple?

I know they signed in 2017, but the 2017 market gets framed in 2016, and the 2018 market gets framed in 2017, so arguing about 2017 market conditions means absolutely zero when you’re trying to sign players for 2018

I don’t even know what you’re trying to argue because it’s not like the value of Halves exploded in the last twelve months. DCE and Thurston etc were already earning in excess of a million dollars a year and anyone with a brain could tell that you’d need to pay some pretty big dollars if you planned on having a quality Halfback of your own.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
He wants to stay in Sydney.

You don’t think an extra $100k might have tempted him? I guess we wont ever know because we never even tried. Instead we’re happy to plod along with the current shambles we have and watch the season go down the drain. Oh and here’s the kicker, at this stage we’re facing the prospect of doing the same thing for next year too!

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
You don’t think an extra $100k might have tempted him? I guess we wont ever know because we never even tried. Instead we’re happy to plod along with the current shambles we have and watch the season go down the drain

we would be far better off giving a shot to Dargan than overpay a guy like Hodkinson ... guys only worth minimum wage if that.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
If we don't even offer Hodko a contract I will admit that Wayne has officially lost it (unless he secretly has another half signed).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • theshed
  • Morkel
  • Manofoneway
  • Lurker
  • Jazza
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • HarryAllan7
  • Financeguy
  • Galah
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.