Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
we would be far better off giving a shot to Dargan than overpay a guy like Hodkinson ... guys only worth minimum wage if that.

You can stand there and argue about the value of this Halfback or that Halfback all day if you like, but the fact remains we don’t actually have one, and while we sit here and turn our noses up or gripe about perceived value, without one at all we are simply an also ran for this season

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Are you honestly that simple?

I know they signed in 2017, but the 2017 market gets framed in 2016, and the 2018 market gets framed in 2017, so arguing about 2017 market conditions means absolutely zero when you’re trying to sign players for 2018

I don’t even know what you’re trying to argue because it’s not like the value of Halves exploded in the last twelve months. DCE and Thurston etc were already earning in excess of a million dollars a year and anyone with a brain could tell that you’d need to pay some pretty big dollars if you planned on having a quality Halfback of your own.

Nobody is arguing about needing a halfback.

As the old saying goes,

" Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience "

And i'm certainly beaten.

I'll leave you to it. I'm feeling like Captain Picard again.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
If we don't even offer Hodko a contract I will admit that Wayne has officially lost it (unless he secretly has another half signed).
How will you know if he gets an offer from us? Unless the notoriously full of shit media write an article about what would more than likely be a private conversation between a player and our club, you'll lose faith in Wayne Bennett?

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
I may not feel that a home in Sydney is worth $1million+, but the reality is plenty of people do and they’re prepared to pay it, so that’s what they’re realistically worth, whether I agree or not. That’s just the basics of a free market in any context.

Try buying a house in Sydney in the one mil ballpark anywhere close to the CBD lol. It's more like 2-3 mil minimum.

How will you know if he gets an offer from us? Unless the notoriously full of shit media write an article about what would more than likely be a private conversation between a player and our club, you'll lose faith in Wayne Bennett?

If he comes out and says he wasn't after him like he did for Pearce (which was also dumb, we should have made him an offer).

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
Nobody is arguing about needing a halfback.

As the old saying goes,

" Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience "

And i'm certainly beaten.

I'll leave you to it. I'm feeling like Captain Picard again.

So we agree we need a Halfback, but we don’t like the value of this guy or that guy or any other guy, so we simply go without one altogether, and you accept that as a reasonable solution.

If you can’t keep up with the discussion (and you obviously couldn’t because you didn’t even manage to read what was being said) and that lack of comprehension frustrates you then that’s just too bad I guess.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
If we don't even offer Hodko a contract I will admit that Wayne has officially lost it (unless he secretly has another half signed).

and whose to say that Wayne didn't pick up the phone to Hodkinson's manager enquirying about his services only to be told the same thing that has been said on here half a dozen time ... Hodkinson has no interest in leaving Sydney.

one thing is for sure, we would have no idea which players Wayne and the club talk to, the club doesn't conduct their negotiations through the press

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Are you honestly that simple?

I know they signed in 2017, but the 2017 market gets framed in 2016, and the 2018 market gets framed in 2017, so arguing about 2017 market conditions means absolutely zero when you’re trying to sign players for 2018

I don’t even know what you’re trying to argue because it’s not like the value of Halves exploded in the last twelve months. DCE and Thurston etc were already earning in excess of a million dollars a year and anyone with a brain could tell that you’d need to pay some pretty big dollars if you planned on having a quality Halfback of your own.

Thurston is one of the greats. Totally worth the pricetag. DCE on the other hand.... How have Manly been going since signing him to that deal?

Wasn't it reported at 10mil for 6 seasons or something?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
So we agree we need a Halfback, but we don’t like the value of this guy or that guy or any other guy, so we simply go without one altogether, and you accept that as a reasonable solution.

If you can’t keep up with the discussion (and you obviously couldn’t because you didn’t even manage to read what was being said) and that lack of comprehension frustrates you then that’s just too bad I guess.

No Wayne simply decided the same thing that most on here decided ... that in the absence of someone better, the job would go to Nikorima ... it isn't worth buying a player for the sake of it.

hell many people on here thought we shouldn't have even been chasing another halfback anyway

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
If he comes out and says he wasn't after him like he did for Pearce (which was also dumb, we should have made him an offer).

once again you give far too much weight to what Bennett says to the media ... for all we know he enquired about Pearce

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
once again you give far too much weight to what Bennett says to the media ... for all we know he enquired about Pearce

If we’re actually trying for these guys and we’re not getting them then that really only makes the situation at the club worse.

And its not ‘signing someone for the sake of it’, anyone can see we need a game manager and we need one urgently if we have any hope of being competitive

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
If we’re actually trying for these guys and we’re not getting them then that really only makes the situation at the club worse.

And its not ‘signing someone for the sake of it’, anyone can see we need a game manager and we need one urgently if we have any hope of being competitive

signing someone worse would be signing someone for the sake of it.

FTR,

Hunt is not and never will be a game manager
Taylor wouldn't have been here in 2018 even if he did sign with us

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
signing someone worse would be signing someone for the sake of it.

FTR,

Hunt is not and never will be a game manager
Taylor wouldn't have been here in 2018 even if he did sign with us

How would Hodkinson be worse than Nikorima? How would Croft or Jacks for that matter?

As for Hunt, well his team is leading the competition and he’s likely to be the Queensland Halfback this season. Certainly seems his 2018 is looking a lot brighter than ours at this stage.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
How would Hodkinson be worse than Nikorima? How would Croft or Jacks for that matter?

As for Hunt, well his team is leading the competition and he’s likely to be the Queensland Halfback this season. Certainly seems his 2018 is looking a lot brighter than ours at this stage.

every single one of those players were under contract ...

and the Dragons aren't trying to turn Hunt into a game manager which you have continuously said we need, and while i agree we need a game manager you 1000% can not use Hunt in the same sentance as being a game manager

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
every single one of those players were under contract ...

and the Dragons aren't trying to turn Hunt into a game manager which you have continuously said we need, and while i agree we need a game manager you 1000% can not use Hunt in the same sentance as being a game manager

So who exactly is steering the Dragons side around at the moment? You know who the Dragons are right, that team at the top of the table?

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
So who exactly is steering the Dragons side around at the moment? You know who the Dragons are right, that team at the top of the table?
Depends which side of the field the ball is on

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

I guy by the name of Widdop ... you don't need to have the 7 on your back to be the game manager ... Lockyer was proof of that

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
I guy by the name of Widdop ... you don't need to have the 7 on your back to be the game manager ... Lockyer was proof of that

Hunt has racked up over 3000 kicking metres this season already. He’s second only to Cronk overall in kick metres and he’s had over 100 kicks in play which makes him third overall in that stat too.

Certainly sounds like the kind of numbers that a guy who is steering his side around would rack up to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Battler
  • Broncorob
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Lozza
  • Fitzy
  • Footy Fanatic
  • broncos4life
  • Maddy
  • Waynesaurus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.