Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
How are they ‘ludicrously over the top’ if that’s consistently the sort of money that quality Halves are getting these days? You already said they’re in dwindling supply, which anyone would tell you only serves to increase their value.

I may not feel that a home in Sydney is worth $1million+, but the reality is plenty of people do and they’re prepared to pay it, so that’s what they’re realistically worth, whether I agree or not. That’s just the basics of a free market in any context.

I go back to my point: if we ‘can’t afford’ a quality Halfback, and you require a quality Halfback to be competitive, then we simply haven’t managed our roster properly.

How many halfbacks in Australia were paid a million a year in 2017 before Hunt and Taylor got their offers? I can only think of that stupid offer manly gave to DCE. Not 2018, 2017, which is when they signed. The market is different now. Our only current hope is Cleary, which i just cant see even if we can clear up cap space.

How about you name some names who we can sign and how we can afford them. And please, just dont say things like move on " insert random player " because thats absolutley no solution unless you know for a fact they would be willing to leave, have their contract cancelled and the Broncos wouldnt be paying a cent to top up their contract. You also cant assume players will leave wherever to play for us.

I'd also suggest, if we did bite the bullet and pay Hunt $1million a year, this place would be in absolute meltdown. I dont think Hunt is a bad player, but the pressure got to him for whatever reason.

Imo, our only current option is gamble on a Dargan/Scarlett/Murphy and hope they can be serviceable.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
Taylor's was definitely over the top. GC were stupid to give him anything in the vicinity of a mil a season. Hunt hadn't been consistently great for us in 2 years. The fresh start at a new club did him wonders.

You can’t just say something is ‘over the top’ so arbitrarily without explaining why?

Hunt, Widdop, Taylor, Brooks, Pearce, Cronk, Foran, Morgan, DCE etc are all on huge contracts, are they all ‘over the top’ ???

Has every other NRL club gone crazy in their spending on Halves? Or are we just grossly out of touch with what top shelf Halves are actually worth these days?

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
You can’t just say something is ‘over the top’ so arbitrarily without explaining why?

Hunt, Widdop, Taylor, Brooks, Pearce, Cronk, Foran, Morgan, DCE etc are all on huge contracts, are they all ‘over the top’ ???

Has every other NRL club gone crazy in their spending on Halves? Or are we just grossly out of touch with what top shelf Halves are actually worth these days?

Ok it was over the top because he's done nothing in the game compared to the others you have mentioned. Happy?

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

Explain why it isnt over the top. What halfback who has had one good season and who has a lot to learn like Taylor has ever got a million dollar contract. What Halve like Hunt who has crumbled under the pressure has ever become one of the highest paid halves in the comp?

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Explain why it isnt over the top. What halfback who has had one good season and who has a lot to learn like Taylor has ever got a million dollar contract. What Halve like Hunt who has crumbled under the pressure has ever become one of the highest paid halves in the comp?
When was Taylor's one good season?

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
How many halfbacks in Australia were paid a million a year in 2017 before Hunt and Taylor got their offers? I can only think of that stupid offer manly gave to DCE. Not 2018, 2017, which is when they signed. The market is different now. Our only current hope is Cleary, which i just cant see even if we can clear up cap space.

How about you name some names who we can sign and how we can afford them. And please, just dont say things like move on " insert random player " because thats absolutley no solution unless you know for a fact they would be willing to leave, have their contract cancelled and the Broncos wouldnt be paying a cent to top up their contract. You also cant assume players will leave wherever to play for us.

I'd also suggest, if we did bite the bullet and pay Hunt $1million a year, this place would be in absolute meltdown. I dont think Hunt is a bad player, but the pressure got to him for whatever reason.

Imo, our only current option is gamble on a Dargan/Scarlett/Murphy and hope they can be serviceable.

I’m not about to presume to know what Trent Hodkinson’s frame of mind is, but he’s a more than serviceable Halfback who would have played for a pretty modest amount, and he’s about to be scooped up by Manly.

Melbourne have got both Jacks and Croft who are both Queenslanders and they only have a spot for one of them. You can’t tell me the right offer would not have us in the hunt to get one of them a release.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017

It isn’t over the top because it’s the exact kind of money basically every Halfback in the competition is either earning or seeking to earn at this point! You can argue that Taylor and Hunt weren’t worth the money but the reality is they’re only earning the same sort of money every Half in the NRL is pretty much earning.

Find me a Halfback out there that doesn’t think they’re worth 800-1 million a season right now?

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I’m not about to presume to know what Trent Hodkinson’s frame of mind is, but he’s a more than serviceable Halfback who would have played for a pretty modest amount, and he’s about to be scooped up by Manly.

Melbourne have got both Jacks and Croft who are both Queenslanders and they only have a spot for one of them. You can’t tell me the right offer would not have us in the hunt to get one of them a release.

Answer the question, where were all these million dollar a year halfbacks in 2017.

I'd also like to know that list you come up with highly paid halfbacks, where did you get their contract values from and can you post them here please. If press reports are to be believed for a start Widdop and Brooks are probably on just over half of what Taylor and Hunt are earning.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
It isn’t over the top because it’s the exact kind of money basically every Halfback in the competition is either earning or seeking to earn at this point! You can argue that Taylor and Hunt weren’t worth the money but the reality is they’re only earning the same sort of money every Half in the NRL is pretty much earning.

Find me a Halfback out there that doesn’t think they’re worth 800-1 million a season right now?

As i just said, name names and provide contracts details, even flimsy ones from the media.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
How are they ‘ludicrously over the top’ if that’s consistently the sort of money that quality Halves are getting these days? You already said they’re in dwindling supply, which anyone would tell you only serves to increase their value.

I may not feel that a home in Sydney is worth $1million+, but the reality is plenty of people do and they’re prepared to pay it, so that’s what they’re realistically worth, whether I agree or not. That’s just the basics of a free market in any context.

I go back to my point: if we ‘can’t afford’ a quality Halfback, and you require a quality Halfback to be competitive, then we simply haven’t managed our roster properly.

we have a million dollar half ... how many teams have 2 of them ... I actually can't think of a single team

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
His only challenger was Nathan Cleary who only played 13 games. He only got 11 try assists that year!

He was still good that year being fair to him.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
Answer the question, where were all these million dollar a year halfbacks in 2017.

I'd also like to know that list you come up with highly paid halfbacks, where did you get their contract values from and can you post them here please. If press reports are to be believed for a start Widdop and Brooks are probably on just over half of what Taylor and Hunt are earning.

What does 2017 have to do with anything? The increased salary cap for 2018 was a foregone conclusion and considering that is the season we had to pay the money for then that’s the only year that matters.

If Widdop and Brooks are on half of what Taylor and Hunt are on and we didn’t even get a look in to sign either of them then that really only reinforces my point that we mismanaged our roster and our salary cap.

Saying Hunt and Taylor wanted too much money and passing on them is fine, but any idiot can tell you that without an NRL quality Halfback you’re going to be watching finals footy from the couch, so if we were happy to write them off as too expensive then what was our plan for getting a Halfback at a ‘good’ price then?

If I absolutely need to go to England but I don’t agree that a ticket on a plane is worth $2000 that’s fine, but I best be prepared to swim there instead, and at the moment the Broncos are trying to do the swimming.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
we have a million dollar half ... how many teams have 2 of them ... I actually can't think of a single team

We bought a million dollar, individually good 5/8, we dont have a Halfback who can manage a game of football at all.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
We bought a million dollar, individually good 5/8, we dont have a Halfback who can manage a game of football at all.

my point still remains ... we are paying one of our halves $1 million a year ... we were never going to be able to get a second half on similar money ...

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
As i just said, name names and provide contracts details, even flimsy ones from the media.

You’re totally missing the point, I don’t care if we don’t sign Hunt or Taylor if we don’t perceive their value to be that high, but you can’t not sign anyone to play the position if you’re going to pass on them.

I’ve said repeatedly that I can accept we missed out on them both financially and we’ve tried to chance our luck without a proper Halfback this season, but it’s going disastrously at this point and we don’t seem to be doing anything to improve the situation whatsoever.

Manly can lose Croker three weeks ago and they’ve already lined up Trent Hodkinson to come over mid season, what the hell is our excuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Xzei
  • lynx000
  • Galah
  • thenry
  • mitch222
  • Financeguy
  • whykickamoocow
  • winslow_wong
  • ivanhungryjak
  • HarryAllan7
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.