Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha ha...as if you know exactly how the books are balanced, how much everyone's paid and how much is available AND the details of the discussions had. This is plainly stupid, how could you know 'this will definitely cost us one of Haas,or Fafita' ? Why not write, 'I fear this may cost etc etc etc' ?

So we are playing semantic games?

Well champ, I said it will, because its obvious to anyone that with him taking up a spot, that's one less starting spot available and one less spot in total.

If we adopt what NRl.com says "Matt Lodge and Tevita Pangai jnr as props next year and playing McGuire, Gillett and Su'A in the back row with Glenn, Joe Ofahengaue and Payne Haas on the bench."

That means we almost certainly lose Fafita. Where's his path into grade? It's blocked. Particularly when you consider we also have guys like Savellio, Mago and the like (who are probably in front of him too).

It's also less money. Haas will attract big offers, as will TPJ (end next year). Having more money in Gillo leaves less to fight with as you go down the line.

I think that such logic is pretty clear.

But yeah, let's play some more semantic games.

I reckon if Joffa keeps ripping in, Lodge becomes the expendable one IF someone needs to leave. Thaiday and Sims are gone I think, so that frees up some salary space and I wouldn't be surprised to see Bird released either.

Would love to keep Lodge but IF it comes down to him or Su'A, thanks Matt and we wish you well. Hopefully both can be kept though.

I think the trick will be to figure out where Joffa fits in long-term. He is as ready to be a starter as anyone else is, if not more.

Well champ, I said it will, because its obvious to anyone that with him taking up a spot, that's one less starting spot available and one less spot in total.

If we adopt what NRl.com says "Matt Lodge and Tevita Pangai jnr as props next year and playing McGuire, Gillett and Su'A in the back row with Glenn, Joe Ofahengaue and Payne Haas on the bench."

That means we almost certainly lose Fafita. Where's his path into grade? It's blocked. Particularly when you consider we also have guys like Savellio, Mago and the like (who are probably in front of him too).

It's also less money. Haas will attract big offers, as will TPJ (end next year). Having more money in Gillo leaves less to fight with as you go down the line.

you can't throw all your money at rookies who haven't proven a damn thing in first grades ... that is how you end up in the bottom half of the ladder ...

and no need to worry about Fifita leaving ... we have him signed until the end of 2020

you can't throw all your money at rookies who haven't proven a damn thing in first grades ... that is how you end up in the bottom half of the ladder ...

and no need to worry about Fifita leaving ... we have him signed until the end of 2020

Its a dilemma, and i totally agree we cant overpay youngsters no matter how promising they are. I'm just a little concerned as to why we need to improve a contract of a bloke who was already on a good contract. I would have thought we learned our lesson with Darius. We payed him the market rate, but just too long a contract.

Yes but it's not semantics. Are you saying that it's absolutely certain? Are you saying it's simply not possible, I mean not possible at all, in any sense or way that we could actually keep those players we want? I don't have that information as I don't know how much money is available, I don't know if players wish to take a little less or if they may want to stay in Brisbane and will accept a little less to do so. I don't know anything for certain and I cannot help wondering how you know for certain any of these things. I just never think it's indicative of intelligence to make claims with absolute certitude when all the evidence is not available but hey, I'm not you.

Matt Gillett is the best second rower in the club bar none. If Fifita wants big money and a starting spot he needs to earn it. You earn it and the club will find a spot for you and the money along with it.

Matt Gillett is the best second rower in the club bar none. If Fifita wants big money and a starting spot he needs to earn it. You earn it and the club will find a spot for you and the money along with it.

I think thats arguable at the moment. He hasnt played to his capability imo since after Origin last year. Due to that neck injury, he was out of form this year. If he gets back to his best i'd agree with you.

To what extent has Gillett’s contract been “upgraded”? For all we know it’s a small % based on the cap increase. Relatively speaking it likely has zero financial impact on keeping our younger players.

Gillett was also a late bloomer to first grade so he’s got a couple of extra years before he even starts to slow down. Right now (without a broken neck) is when he’d be at his peak.

To what extent has Gillett’s contract been “upgraded”? For all we know it’s a small % based on the cap increase. Relatively speaking it likely has zero financial impact on keeping our younger players.

Gillett was also a late bloomer to first grade so he’s got a couple of extra years before he even starts to slow down. Right now (without a broken neck) is when he’d be at his peak.

It could have an effect though by blocking the path of one for even longer. Sua for example might feel his best chance of being a starter may be elsewhere.

It could have an effect though by blocking the path of one for even longer. Sua for example might feel his best chance of being a starter may be elsewhere.

The Broncos actually view Su'A as a left edge backrower, and they will give him a starting spot on that left edge.

The Broncos actually view Su'A as a left edge backrower, and they will give him a starting spot on that left edge.

If we view him as a left edge backrower why aren't we playing him on the left with Glenn out? Also, how do you know that we view him as that when he's played exclusively on the right for us in first grade, has Bennett said it somewhere?

If TPJ keeps destroying edges we should just look for another good prop and let him own that side. He played a lot of 20s in the second row but on the right side.

If we view him as a left edge backrower why aren't we playing him on the left with Glenn out? Also, how do you know that we view him as that when he's played exclusively on the right for us in first grade, has Bennett said it somewhere?

I'm guessing because they want TPJ to link up with Milford, but TPJ will be going to prop soon.

There is an article on the NRL.com site (can't post it) where it says the Broncos are looking at a McGuire, Gillett and Su'A backrow next season. Gillett will be playing on the right and McGuire at lock.

Gillett was already playing for us next year, wasn’t he? This is just an extension. So if Su’a wants a starting spot next year, again, Matt’s upgrade has no effect on that.

I'm guessing because they want TPJ to link up with Milford, but TPJ will be going to prop soon.

There is an article on the NRL.com site (can't post it) where it says the Broncos are looking at a McGuire, Gillett and Su'A backrow next season. Gillett will be playing on the right and McGuire at lock.

I’d like TPJ at 13 with McGuire going back to prop. Especially if we lose Lodge along with Thaiday’s retirement.

I’d like TPJ at 13 with McGuire going back to prop. Especially if we lose Lodge along with Thaiday’s retirement.

I would like TPJ at lock regardless. McGuire can go back to prop.

I think TPJ gets a bit more freedom there and we would be better off with him at lock instead of McGuire.

Gillett was already playing for us next year, wasn’t he? This is just an extension. So if Su’a wants a starting spot next year, again, Matt’s upgrade has no effect on that.

I think he still had 2 years after this year. I cant really remember though if I'm honest, just going by memory

If TPJ keeps destroying edges we should just look for another good prop and let him own that side. He played a lot of 20s in the second row but on the right side.

I think he has changed the whole dynamic of our left side. Its created a lot more space for others imo and its allowing our center not to just defend and cover for Milf and Oates imo. Kahu could thrive if he stays fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Midean
  • Battler
  • winslow_wong
  • Fozz
  • Organix
  • Wolfie
  • Dash
  • Foordy
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Lozza
  • Bronx48
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Xzei
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Galah
  • broncos4life
  • Redux
  • westy316
  • Allo
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.