Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, that's not how soft tissue injuries work, especially when it comes to hamstrings. A hamstring can appear perfectly healthy while still being prone to tearing, and that is a fact.
Achilles injuries are notorious for causing hamstring problems as a result of a player's change in posture, movement and/or gait during and after rehab, while age is absolutely of great importance in recovery and healing expectations.

Anyone who had a say, but didn't raise a red flag on his contract length and value is responsible IMO.

Welll, i'm sitting right next to somebody here who knows what she is talking about as she deals with sports injuries, especially serious ones every day of the week and she tells me different. An ultrasound can check to see if there is a kind of pitting in the muscle, which are actually little tears ( which are also present in a lot of shoulder injuries, especially rotator cuff tears ) which never go away after bad tears in the muscle. Footballers should also be able to pull on data showing the strength of the muscle before and after a tear.

@Morepudding Stop telling lies. I have never said Boyd was good value for 4 years. Stop making up bullshit in your head. Also, you cant even get right what i say about Patty. I was picking Joffa in front of him for lock you numbskull.

Also, go and actually do some research about ACL injuries. My wife sees people, both athletes and non athletes every day who are still suffering years later with osteo arthritis. Footballers have a harder time coming back from them and recovering to something like their full capability because they dont just run in straight lines. They have to pivot on the knee, which strains the weakened ligament. How they carry on in their career depends on a bit of luck, good recovery and changing their playing style slightly.

Mate, you need to calm down. You are so defensive about everything and so misguided.

I'd like to point out that Darren Lockyer, Andrew Johns and JT all had ACL Injuries in their career. If you actually look at medical history (which i am certain you have zero reputable knowledge on), ACL injuries, although they are obviously major and not a good injury, they do have less immediate issues related to them from a movement standpoint than Achilles injuries.

You're clearly too involved with the players to ever accept some negative comment. Are you Lucky Singh (FB guy who comments on every post and is just too positive)

Just saw this post and laughed my head off. If only you knew. You dont even get anything right. I havent even said an ACL or achillies injury is worse than the other.

Last edited:
Welll, i'm sitting right next to somebody here who knows what she is talking about as she deals with sports injuries, especially serious ones every day of the week and she tells me different. An ultrasound can check to see if there is a kind of pitting in the muscle, which are actually little tears ( which are also present in a lot of shoulder injuries, especially rotator cuff tears ) which never go away after bad tears in the muscle. Footballers should also be able to pull on data showing the strength of the muscle before and after a tear.

@Morepudding Stop telling lies. I have never said Boyd was good value for 4 years. Stop making up bullshit in your head. Also, you cant even get right what i say about Patty. I was picking Joffa in front of him for lock you numbskull.

Also, go and actually do some research about ACL injuries. My wife sees people, both athletes and non athletes every day who are still suffering years later with osteo arthritis. Footballers have a harder time coming back from them and recovering to something like their full capability because they dont just run in straight lines. They have to pivot on the knee, which strains the weakened ligament. How they carry on in their career depends on a bit of luck, good recovery and changing their playing style slightly.
I know selective hearing is a thing, but is selective reading a thing also? The long term effects of an ACL for a general lifestyle are definitely worse. But Athletes tend to have more issues directly related to an Achilies injury (in the form of hamstring and lower back issues) than those who have ACL injuries. I.E. If you do your ACL your hamstrings still work. If you do your Achilles, Your hamstrings dont.

Another player, James Tedesco (you may have heard of him) has also done his ACL twice. Just saying... If you rather Boyd than Gutho, lucky you, you've got him.

But please stop defending any sort of decision in to retaining boyd, and stop trying to compare the risk between a 30 year old who was injured at the time, and a 24 year old who did his ACL over a year ago and got better attacking stats in his single game today, than Boyd has had this year (try assists, Linebreaks, tries etc.)

EDIT: Stop discussing posters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look it sucks that we've lost 1/6 but it sucks even more to read constant bickering and disrespect between posters.

Cut the insults and learn to agree to disagree. If you can't argue someone's point without insulting them, don't hit reply or we're going to start thread-banning until this place cleans up.

I know selective hearing is a thing, but is selective reading a thing also? The long term effects of an ACL for a general lifestyle are definitely worse. But Athletes tend to have more issues directly related to an Achilies injury (in the form of hamstring and lower back issues) than those who have ACL injuries. I.E. If you do your ACL your hamstrings still work. If you do your Achilles, Your hamstrings dont.

Another player, James Tedesco (you may have heard of him) has also done his ACL twice. Just saying... If you rather Boyd than Gutho, lucky you, you've got him.

But please stop defending any sort of decision in to retaining boyd, and stop trying to compare the risk between a 30 year old who was injured at the time, and a 24 year old who did his ACL over a year ago and got better attacking stats in his single game today, than Boyd has had this year (try assists, Linebreaks, tries etc.)

Again, stop making shit up in your head. I havent defended anything about retaining Boyd. Go and search the forum and see what i said at the time. I have also never said i want Boyd over Gutho or the other way around.

I dont really even need to read what you are posting about ACL's and achillies injuries because i already know far more then you do. Josh MCguire made a perfect recovery from an achillies injury, and many others have so what you should be saying is sometimes, players dont recover well from injury, and that applies to any injury. If, as you say, your hamstrings dont work after an Achilles injury, how do people still walk and run around?

Look it sucks that we've lost 1/6 but it sucks even more to read constant bickering and disrespect between posters.

Cut the insults and learn to agree to disagree. If you can't argue someone's point without insulting them, don't hit reply or we're going to start thread-banning until this place cleans up.
I agree with what you're saying, but honestly a few of the posters in here who have been here for a while / post a lot seem to just repeatedly call out other people for their opinion.

People come in and vent their anger, put down some suggestions they think might spark a difference, and then two or three of the "regulars" come in and basically belittle people for having an opinion.

You would think an NRL.com reporter would be more mindful. I guess anonymity is king huh?

I agree with what you're saying, but honestly a few of the posters in here who have been here for a while / post a lot seem to just repeatedly call out other people for their opinion.

People come in and vent their anger, put down some suggestions they think might spark a difference, and then two or three of the "regulars" come in and basically belittle people for having an opinion.

You would think an NRL.com reporter would be more mindful. I guess anonymity is king huh?

Its a forum, everyone calls people out for opinions. Thats the whole point.

I wouldnt say anything on here i wouldnt say to peoples faces, and i'd be happy to meet anyone on here.

Again, stop making shit up in your head. I havent defended anything about retaining Boyd. Go and search the forum and see what i said at the time. I have also never said i want Boyd over Gutho or the other way around.

I dont really even need to read what you are posting about ACL's and achillies injuries because i already know far more then you do. Josh MCguire made a perfect recovery from an achillies injury, and many others have so what you should be saying is sometimes, players dont recover well from injury, and that applies to any injury. If, as you say, your hamstrings dont work after an Achilles injury, how do people still walk and run around?
Mate, Josh McGuire doesn't step or change direction and isn't expected to do even 1/3 of the running in a game as a fullback is supposed to do. The issue is with players who are required to do a lot of running, a lot of stop start, and a lot of directional change. This is why Boyd simply isn't there most of the time. He's preserving his hamstrings.

Also, Josh McGuire had hamstring and lower back issues last year... It was reported by Bennett and was part of the reason for his delayed return from the ankle issue. So... there's that...

https://www.couriermail.com.au/subs...64515a5faad3dc&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium

Mate, Josh McGuire doesn't step or change direction and isn't expected to do even 1/3 of the running in a game as a fullback is supposed to do. The issue is with players who are required to do a lot of running, a lot of stop start, and a lot of directional change. This is why Boyd simply isn't there most of the time. He's preserving his hamstrings.

Also, Josh McGuire had hamstring and lower back issues last year... It was reported by Bennett and was part of the reason for his delayed return from the ankle issue. So... there's that...

https://www.couriermail.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=CMWEB_WRE170_a_GGL&dest=https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/broncos-coach-wayne-bennett-alleviates-fears-of-injury-to-josh-mcguire-after-star-walks-off-field/news-story/f3cba133c6b9209c2e64515a5faad3dc&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium

And yet he still does his job week in week out and has just had one of his best ever career performances. How many games has he missed through a hamstring injury since he did his achillies? At the end of the day, whether you accept it or not, everyone heals differently, everyone manages their recovery differently and everyone manages their body differently. There isnt a scenario where everyone with an achillies injury gets hamstring injuries. Its not a one size fits all situation.

I'll leave it there.

Last edited:

No injury ever heals completely.
Scar tissue will always have an impact on soft tissue as it reduces its elasticity, which is especially important to hamstrings. Those micro-tears you mention are not just present after an injury, they can be caused by bad posture, gait and movement before an injury even occurs, although those don't necessarily lead to ruptures either.

Regardless, you're only justifying a careful approach to Boyd's contract renewal given his medical history, especially in regards to his hamstrings. Not sure what you're trying to say here...

You're right about the consequences of an ACL later in life and about length of recovery. However, once repaired, an ACL doesn't impact or change a player's motion in any way, nor is it prone to tear more easily. In fact, the repair will often be stronger than the original if the graft's attachment to the bone is robust.

Scar tissue will always have an impact on soft tissue as it reduces its elasticity, which is especially important to hamstrings. Those micro-tears you mention are not just present after an injury, they can be caused by bad posture, gait and movement before an injury even occurs, although those don't necessarily lead to ruptures either.

Regardless, you're only justifying a careful approach to Boyd's contract renewal given his medical history, especially in regards to his hamstrings. Not sure what you're trying to say here...

You're right about the consequences of an ACL later in life and about length of recovery. However, once repaired, an ACL doesn't impact or change a player's motion in any way, nor is it prone to tear more easily. In fact, the repair will often be stronger than the original if the graft's attachment to the bone is robust.
Be careful. Wolfie might call you out because he has someone sitting next to him who knows everything.

Anyway, I think Gutho would he a better option. That's my opinion. If you don't agree then that's your choice but we are 1/6 and Parramatta, largely due to the performances of King Gutho are 4/6.

Lots of players have repeated ACL injuries because they all don't heal stronger and they can absolutely affect a players range of motion and mobility. You cant generalise it because every injury is different, they all dont heal in the same way. Some can be fine, others arent. As i said, i'm lucky i have somebody right here who knows what they are talking about. Wont say where she works now, but she used to work for Dr Peter Myers who is one of the best surgeons for sports injuries in the business. As she is saying to me though, you cant compare even the same injury with two different people because there are so many variables.

I'm really sure what you are saying about me with Boyd honestly, what i'm saying is what we do with everyone, not just Darius.

Edit: Move on

Edit: Move on

Edit: Final warning

Lots of players have repeated ACL injuries because they all don't heal stronger and they can absolutely affect a players range of motion and mobility. You cant generalise it because every injury is different, they all dont heal in the same way. Some can be fine, others arent. As i said, i'm lucky i have somebody right here who knows what they are talking about. Wont say where she works now, but she used to work for Dr Peter Myers who is one of the best surgeons for sports injuries in the business. As she is saying to me though, you cant compare even the same injury with two different people because there are so many variables.

I'm really sure what you are saying about me with Boyd honestly, what i'm saying is what we do with everyone, not just Darius.
Obviously not all Injuries are the same and everyone is different Yada Yada. But medical journals and history in sport provides expectations. And the expectation in most cases is that ACL injuries are likely to make a near full recovery in terms of strength and ability etc. Bad Achilles injuries are well known to lead to hamstring and lower back issues. Yes some people won't experience them, but some will. Just like Darius is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • Browny
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Justwin
  • Fozz
  • Wolfie
  • broncos4life
  • Jedhead
  • Culhwch
  • Fitzy
  • eggstar10
  • broncoscope
  • Redux
  • ivanhungryjak
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behold
  • Brocko
  • marw
  • BroncosFan_Corey
... and 72 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.