Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone explain, if we release Boyd and pay out his contract, does that go under the cap?
Based on what happened with souths and GI that shouldn't really be the case anymore.

Although GI agreed to end his contract... in other cases like Whatmough they wanted the rest of their contract paid out.

I think for GI he has been given a position at souths with a salary and that salary is being included in their cap. If not then they've been given a golden ticket (typical NRL), because GI has walked away from a contract but is still being paid by the club... basically what Tigers and Farah were trying to do.

I w
Based on what happened with souths and GI that shouldn't really be the case anymore.

Although GI agreed to end his contract... in other cases like Whatmough they wanted the rest of their contract paid out.

I think for GI he has been given a position at souths with a salary and that salary is being included in their cap. If not then they've been given a golden ticket (typical NRL), because GI has walked away from a contract but is still being paid by the club... basically what Tigers and Farah were trying to do.

I was under the impression that it had to be medical reasons like a bad injury or something. Then the NRL would allow us to pay him out but not out of our salary. Could be wrong though

I heard something fascinating yesterday. The reason the Broncos have been releasing players this season is so they can pay Darius out for the next 2 years this year. The Broncos have released approx $2m worth of players this year and can now front end Boyd's contract and terminate. He will likely announce his retirement to save embarrassment of 2 years in reserves, but will still receive full payment.
I thought it was so White could show a profit to the shareholders.

Someone explain, if we release Boyd and pay out his contract, does that go under the cap?
It still counts towards the cap. But this year we are now well under the cap, so could pay a large portion of that for this season, and not have much come out for the next 2 seasons.

I hope this is true because the bastards got to go. I can't stand him for what he is dishing up. Any normal person would be hanging the boots up like Alf did.

I hope this is true because the bastards got to go. I can't stand him for what he is dishing up. Any normal person would be hanging the boots up like Alf did.
I think you've got this a tad wrong. Most normal people would happily dish out mediocrity at work and collect $800,000 a year then join the unemployment lines. Alf on the other hand was a champion who took pride in his performances and fell on his own sword when they dipped below his own expectations. Basically the complete opposite to Darius.

I heard something fascinating yesterday. The reason the Broncos have been releasing players this season is so they can pay Darius out for the next 2 years this year. The Broncos have released approx $2m worth of players this year and can now front end Boyd's contract and terminate. He will likely announce his retirement to save embarrassment of 2 years in reserves, but will still receive full payment.

Where did you hear it? Hopefully, this would give the goings on this year some sought of long term justification.

I am not unhappy that McGuire, Kahu, Nikorima and Roberts have been moved on (Sua I would have preferred to have kept as I think he will come good.) I do like Kennedy as a signing if it was at a low price, which I suspect it was. I liked the look of him at at Melbourne in the lower grades (I live in Melbourne and go to games to get some Rugby League in this AFL drenched town.).

I just want to know what the club's plan is moving forward. Setting up to pay out Boyd would reassure a lot of fans . If we are doing this lets put him on gardening leave while we do it.

I would recall Fensom and Tagataese to first grade too. I'm not saying they will necessarily solve the problems but it will at least use their experience rather than deflating a bunch of young prospects.

I honestly think two quality players in the spine would change our team dramatically. The question is who and how do we get them? We should go hard for Ponga when his contact is up.

In the short term Drinkwater would have been a great signing.I would now go after Jackson Hastings for next season as a 14 if he has an NRL release clause as is being suggested. Money is probably the issue.

I think you've got this a tad wrong. Most normal people would happily dish out mediocrity at work and collect $800,000 a year then join the unemployment lines. Alf on the other hand was a champion who took pride in his performances and fell on his own sword when they dipped below his own expectations. Basically the complete opposite to Darius.
Alf is my favourite player of all time, but he may have had a little extra incentive to retire. And it wasn't from the coach or club....

It still counts towards the cap. But this year we are now well under the cap, so could pay a large portion of that for this season, and not have much come out for the next 2 seasons.
This post made me remember something, which was teams having to spend 95% of their cap by June 30.

Based the amount of players released and only being replaced by development squad players I very much doubt we have spent 95% of our cap to date.

This rule definitely existed a few years back because there was concern Newcastle may not make 95% looking at their roster, but I'm not sure if this rule still exists.

@1910 may have mentioned something about this awhile back as well??

Yes, I thought this too. However, I think the plan would be to use the money towards the season and pay future years from this years cap. Darius would just get a much larger portion of his contract in 2019 and reduce what he gets in the following years. We would hit the required amount by paying him this figure. I think if we sign a player to a contract over a period you can vary the amounts they receive over the years as long as you are under the cap and you pay the total amount. Roosters did this when they got Sonny Bill. They paid him 500K the year prior to him coming back reducing payments the following years. Lets try an see if a Super League club would take Boyd too. That could further assist

Last edited:
They should pay out Macca too.

I was under the impression that it had to be medical reasons like a bad injury or something. Then the NRL would allow us to pay him out but not out of our salary. Could be wrong though
I think if you retire due to medical reasons you are entitled to full payout of the contract outside of the salary cap, which is what we did for JYY.

Whatmough was trying to claim this as well but it was determined his injuries were preexisting.

The difference with GI is he chose to retire without a payout... basically forfeited what he was owed. But because Souths were planning to give him a salary immediately after his retirement I believe that salary had to be under the cap as long as it aligned with his proposed job description.

I think this is a reasonable approach for the NRL to adopt as it allows players to retire without feeling like a burden on their club whilst also receiving a salary for life after football... it would also stop a club from getting a player to retire and then just pay them their contract value as a salary ie. paying Darius $600k to pull beers at the leagues club

Rapana is off contract, I've rated him for a long time, apparently the Raiders have spent the money elsewhere. I reckon he'd be an awesome pick up for two years. Only turns 30 next month so easily has 2 years in him.

How do people swing so wildly from "Bennett left us over the cap so Seibold had to let players go plus also he gave Boyd 800 thousand a year contracted until 2021" to "releasing Su'a and Roberts has freed up enough money to pay out the next 29 months of Boyd's contract this year so we won't have to carry anything in 2020" in such a short time?

I’m not one of those people, but it’s more like 5 players released. Kahu, Moose, Niko, Roberts, Su’a. I feel like I’m forgetting one.

Either way, look at our roster and tell me we have a full cap worth of players. It’s pretty obvious to all and sundry that we ‘should’ have at least 1.5-2m spare.
$2M seems a bit high to me, but I would've had us pegged as cap compliant at the start of the year anyway. Of the players listed, the money you save on the cap less the cost of a replacement player (min wage $100k) multiplied by the remaining months until November over 12. So for example if Su'A was on 500k and we replace him with a minimum wage player at the end of June we save 400k * 5/12, 166 thousand. And that's if we don't cover anything for the player.

He was trying to buy a premiership in a shrinking window. Just look at what happened to Dragons and Knights after he left. Wayne is all about Wayne. He's a knob.

This is really bizarre

Wayne may well be all about Wayne, I won;t argue for against, but if he had a strategy for trying to deliver a premiership, then that's not all about Wayne - that's about the club, the players and the fans too

What i mean is, he may about himself, but trying to deliver a premiership is not evidence of that

Rapana is off contract, I've rated him for a long time, apparently the Raiders have spent the money elsewhere. I reckon he'd be an awesome pick up for two years. Only turns 30 next month so easily has 2 years in him.

He was the best winger in the game for a couple of years or so not long ago, but it feels like he's often injured now.

Remember when Roosters has that year where they completely tanked and were well under the cap and then used that money to front load contracts, allowing them to essentially have a larger salary cap the following seasons and setting themselves up for half a decade of continued success?

I can only hope that is what we are doing. Shed a bunch of talent, take the hit for a season, front load all your star players. Have an extra million or so to spare the following season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Justwin
  • pennywisealfie
  • Jazza
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • FACTHUNT
  • Dash
  • Financeguy
  • Broncorob
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Organix
  • Ejbroncos
  • Old Mate
  • Yem
  • bert_lifts
  • Brocko
  • Browny
  • theshed
  • Strop
  • Rah88
  • Xzei
... and 68 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.