Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Ash Taylor is Dave Taylor’s younger brother so it isn’t a surprise they are on the same path of wasted potential. Ash already looks chubby and will balloon like Dave did. It’s genetic.

That’s not even funny.

Any news of what Folau is doing?

Last time I heard about him he was at Broncos HQ.

There is an article on nine wwos if anyone has the time to link worth a read if you are interested on Lockyers view on our halves going forward would link myself but at work zzz.

So you're not sold on Milford at fullback?

I'm the opposite of sold, I want the experiment to end already, he's a Five-Eighth.

He's done an admirable job playing out of position, don't get me wrong, but it's clear to me that it's not his best spot. You only have to look as far as the work rate to know that he's not cut from the cloth required to be a modern day Fullback.

He's got the footwork, speed, passing & kicking required to be a great Fullback, but he does NOT have the size, strength or work rate required. I'm of the opinion that size (height), strength & work rate are 3 of the most important factors in a modern day Fullback.

Milford in his 6 games at Fullback this season - 12.8 runs, 121.5 metres

Tuivasa-Sheck - 21.4 runs - 209.4 metres
Tedesco - 17.6 runs - 199.0 metres
Trbojevic - 21.1 runs - 195.4 metres
Nicoll-Klokstad - 18.0 runs - 173.7 metres
Gutherson - 17.6 runs - 166.1 metres

These guys have sustained these numbers over the whole season, there's such a large gap between the actual Fullbacks and the guys pretending to be Fullbacks, Ponga would be on this list but his month at Five-Eighth combined with his missed games tanked his stats.

Is it possible that with a full off-season training at Fullback and coming back in the shape of his life that Milford could get to similar numbers as these guys? Yes, I think so. Do I have faith that he will come back in the necessary shape to play 25+ games at Fullback, making 20 runs per game and doing all of the leg work required to be a good defensive Fullback? No, no I do not.

I'm the opposite of sold, I want the experiment to end already, he's a Five-Eighth.

He's done an admirable job playing out of position, don't get me wrong, but it's clear to me that it's not his best spot. You only have to look as far as the work rate to know that he's not cut from the cloth required to be a modern day Fullback.

He's got the footwork, speed, passing & kicking required to be a great Fullback, but he does NOT have the size, strength or work rate required. I'm of the opinion that size (height), strength & work rate are 3 of the most important factors in a modern day Fullback.

These guys have sustained these numbers over the whole season, there's such a large gap between the actual Fullbacks and the guys pretending to be Fullbacks, Ponga would be on this list but his month at Five-Eighth combined with his missed games tanked his stats.

Is it possible that with a full off-season training at Fullback and coming back in the shape of his life that Milford could get to similar numbers as these guys? Yes, I think so. Do I have faith that he will come back in the necessary shape to play 25+ games at Fullback, making 20 runs per game and doing all of the leg work required to be a good defensive Fullback? No, no I do not.
Don't forget, none of those fullbacks are playing behind Boyd/Turpin but point taken.

give him an off season to get the conditioning required to play the position (which is very different to the conditioning needed to play in the halves) and he'll put similar numbers on the board.

Don't forget, none of those fullbacks are playing behind Boyd/Turpin but point taken.

Playing with good players doesn't increase the number of runs you take per game, the only thing that affects that in the long haul is fitness levels and willingness to do the hard yards.

How often in the last month and a half have we seen Milford come in on play 2 or 3 when we're struggling in our own end to make a tough carry? I'm not sure if it's happened more than once or twice in total. The real Fullbacks do that 7 or 8 times per game.

Ponga would be on this list but his month at Five-Eighth combined with his missed games tanked his stats.

I've got your back.

Ponga 13 Games - 14 Runs, 141.6m

Most Runs - 22 vs. Gold Coast Titans Round 6
Most Metres - 264m vs Gold Coast Titans Round 6
Lowest Runs - 10 vs. St George Illawarra Round 10, vs. Sydney Roosters Round 11
Lowest Metres - 93m vs. Parramatta Eels Round 21

Last edited:
I've got your back.

Ponga 13 Games - 14 Runs, 141.6m

Cheers.

Quite a lot less than the other upper echelon Fullbacks. Will give him something to work on in the off-season :P

By the eye, I feel Milford is much more comfortable and competent at fullback. He was never a halve’s arsehole in my opinion, though excuse the pun, he made a great fist of it.

IMHO, he serves the team best at fullback. He has less responsibility for the forwards and can then focus on high impact plays when it suits. He now has an elite kicking game that with the right halves, he becomes a weapon most teams don’t have. He also defends better than most fullbacks after serving his apprenticeship in the frontline.

Yes he can be a serviceable, and maybe good half, but he can be elite at fullback and is currently proving that with our win/loss situation.

"He has less responsibility"

Why is that something we want? He's the best attacking player on the team and has been for the last 5 seasons, we want him to touch the ball as much as humanly possible, not camp at the back and occasionally chime in on sweeping plays or in broken field.

"Yes he can be a serviceable, and maybe good half"

Wtf? He's been one of the best Five-Eighth's in the comp for the last 5 years, what do you mean he can be serviceable?

"But he can be elite at fullback and is currently proving that"

Doubtful and no, he's not.

Nah bullshit. He stopped Vunivalu 1v1 last week while the fucker ran right at him, he's more than strong enough. He puts in huge efforts to save tries, which is something we've been missing at the back. He has only just gone back there and is getting a pass mark imo. He is only going to get better.

Playing with good players doesn't increase the number of runs you take per game, the only thing that affects that in the long haul is fitness levels and willingness to do the hard yards.

How often in the last month and a half have we seen Milford come in on play 2 or 3 when we're struggling in our own end to make a tough carry? I'm not sure if it's happened more than once or twice in total. The real Fullbacks do that 7 or 8 times per game.
I think he is being asked to do more playmaking/organising than those other fullbacks so his runs are going to be down. I do agree though that his fitness isn't probably where it needs to be to be a fullback at the moment and if he was going to be there for the long term, would need to get that right.

"He has less responsibility"

Why is that something we want? He's the best attacking player on the team and has been for the last 5 seasons, we want him to touch the ball as much as humanly possible, not camp at the back and occasionally chime in on sweeping plays or in broken field.

"Yes he can be a serviceable, and maybe good half"

Wtf? He's been one of the best Five-Eighth's in the comp for the last 5 years, what do you mean he can be serviceable?

"But he can be elite at fullback and is currently proving that"

Doubtful and no, he's not.

Because the other elite fullbacks you mentioned are not the sole focal point of attack. They chime in at different times to add to the variety of attack. Milford is our only attacking threat we have now and teams know this and simply gang up on him when he gets the ball. He was suffocated at 5/8th to the point where he hardly got a pass away at times. Then teams were all over his step back inside to the point where he kept slipping over from the pressure. Fullback is unshackling him, he just needs a decent half to organise.

Nah bullshit. He stopped Vunivalu 1v1 last week while the fucker ran right at him, he's more than strong enough. He puts in huge efforts to save tries, which is something we've been missing at the back. He has only just gone back there and is getting a pass mark imo. He is only going to get better.

body mass =/= strength

I'm talking about the strength that is useful at Fullback, core strength, leg drive. You seldom see guys like RTS, CNK, Teddy get pushed back when they take hit-ups, you regularly see Milford get ragdolled and driven backwards.

If he can completely change his body structure in the off-season, kudos to him, I don't see it happening personally.

Meanwhile, for mid season reshuffles, he is actually looking lean and mean. Imagine a full preseason at fullback.
Yeah, he does look like he's dropped a bit of weight.

body mass =/= strength

I'm talking about the strength that is useful at Fullback, core strength, leg drive. You seldom see guys like RTS, CNK, Teddy get pushed back when they take hit-ups, you regularly see Milford get ragdolled and driven backwards.

If he can completely change his body structure in the off-season, kudos to him, I don't see it happening personally.
Actually I see him make a fair number of tackle breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • Tmac
  • Culhwch
  • Manofoneway
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • GCBRONCO
  • Ondi
  • rj9
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.