Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm confused how this works with Glenn and Fifita starting in the backrow.
Our depth is pretty terrible, so unless Glenn and Fifita are going to play 80 minutes a game for 24+ games this year TPJ will end up spending some time on the edge, unless he himself is injured/suspended at the same time as Glenn/Fifita.

This certainly seems to suggest that Glenn or Fifita won't play 80 minutes every week. Be really interesting to see how they manage that. Personally, until TPJ tighten's up his defence, it's tough to play him on an edge week to week as it's too easy for opposition sides to target him when they have the ball.

I just tried to figure out a way where Glenn & Fifita can start on the edges and TPJ still plays a majority of his minutes on the edge w/ Fifita playing 80, it's not possible.

I think it's possible Glenn is starting at lock..

He's lost a bit of his change of direction, but still has a decent motor, not a bad defender (unless it's one on one situations, which there would be a minimal amount of at Lock), decent leg drive.. It would clean up our rotation quite a bit.

Starting -

8. Lodge - 45-50 minutes (exclusively at prop)
9. Turpin - 60-65 minutes
10. Haas - 60-65 minutes (exclusively at prop)
11. Fifita - 80 minutes
12. Pangai Jr - 80 minutes
13. Glenn (c) - 55-60 minutes (exclusively at lock)

Bench -

14. McCullough/Paix - 15-20 minutes
15. Ofahengaue - 30-35 minutes (exclusively at prop)
16. Flegler - 25-30 minutes (exclusively at prop)
17. Carrigan - 30-35 minutes (exclusively at lock)

Captain for that 30-35 minutes without Glenn would be whoever becomes the Vice Captain, whether that be Boyd, Croft, Milf, whoever.

If TPJ is getting gassed in the last 10, we could bring Glenn back on the edge.

Macca on the bench is a waste, should go four middle forwards for a power game and shift TPJ to the edge during his seconif Glenn of Fifita get gassed or to try so,sting new if we are struggling to attack. I would love to see bird coming off the bench playing a Murray/radley roll

Macca on the bench is a waste, should go four middle forwards for a power game and shift TPJ to the edge during his seconif Glenn of Fifita get gassed or to try so,sting new if we are struggling to attack. I would love to see bird coming off the bench playing a Murray/radley roll
Macca anywhere in the 17 is a waste but four middle forwards is pointless. Even when we have 3 middle forwards on the bench the 3rd guy only gets a 15-20 minutes stint and if injury strikes Haas, Ofahengaue, TPJ and even Lodge are capable of playing 65+ minutes.

11. Fifita - 80 minutes

Bench -
You're about 25 minutes over budget there. It's too difficult to give all our forwards the minutes they deserve. Someone has to get shafted.

I just tried to figure out a way where Glenn & Fifita can start on the edges and TPJ still plays a majority of his minutes on the edge w/ Fifita playing 80, it's not possible.

He's lost a bit of his change of direction, but still has a decent motor, not a bad defender (unless it's one on one situations, which there would be a minimal amount of at Lock), decent leg drive.. It would clean up our rotation quite a bit.

Starting -

11. Fifita - 80 minutes

Bench -

Captain for that 30-35 minutes without Glenn would be whoever becomes the Vice Captain, whether that be Boyd, Croft, Milf, whoever.

I can see Glenn working at lock because of the size of the rest of the starting pack.

He is reliable and tries hard so maybe lock would suit him.

He would also add some variety, speed and smarts to our game through the middle.

8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Pangai
12. Fifita
13. Glenn (c)
17. Ofahengaue

I chose Hopoate at #14 because he can fill in at hooker, lock or on an edge. He’s quite versatile. Skillful, deceptive and powerful. Has nice footwork. We need to use the #14 spot to develop players (Paix, Hopoate, one of our outside backs)

Last edited:
I can see Glenn working at lock because of the size of the rest of the starting pack.

He is reliable and tries hard so maybe lock would suit him.

He would also add some variety, speed and smarts to our game through the middle.

8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Pangai
12. Fifita
13. Glenn (c)
17. Ofahengaue

I chose Hopoate at #14 because he can fill in at hooker, lock or on an edge. He’s quite versatile. Skillful, deceptive and powerful. Has nice footwork. We need to use the #14 spot to develop players (Paix, Hopoate, one of our outside backs)

Hoppa just isnt good enough anywhere else but lock, he was a disaster in the back row for the Phins, and even then when you look at how Seibold picked players last year he would be lucky to be 5th choice as a lock.

It wont be popular, but i think its more than likely going to be Macca.

Hoppa just isnt good enough anywhere else but lock, he was a disaster in the back row for the Phins, and even then when you look at how Seibold picked players last year he would be lucky to be 5th choice as a lock.

It wont be popular, but i think its more than likely going to be Macca.

Our bench is going to be pretty one dimensional this year then.. It could work due to how much attack we have already in the starting side. Not sure. I wouldn’t bring any of these guys into the game in the final 20 minutes thinking they could win it for me though.

14. McCullough
15. Carrigan
16. Flegler
17. Ofahengaue

Maybe we could use Tesi Niu as #14 super sub? Kind of how Ben Barba started off at the Dogs?

Last edited:
Our bench is going to be pretty one dimensional this year then.. It could work due to how much attack we have already in the starting side. Not sure. I wouldn’t bring any of these guys into the game in the final 20 minutes thinking they could win it for me though.

14. McCullough
15. Carrigan
16. Flegler
17. Ofahengaue
I still think TPJ will be coming off the bench with Offa or Carrigan starting lock.

Seibs started last year with him at lock and it didn't work out well. He was pushed back to the bench coming into the middle rotation and was much better, before eventually starting in second row when injuries came about... and whilst his attack was immense he was found out a lot in defence on the edge

Off the bench he could come on as a prop and wreak havoc through the middle or sub in for Glenn / Fifi on the edge and attack the halves.

Last edited:

14. McCullough
15. Carrigan
16. Flegler
17. Ofahengaue

Maybe we could use Tesi Niu as #14 super sub? Kind of how Ben Barba started off at the Dogs?

8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Glenn
12. Fifita
13. Carrigan

14. Paix
15. TPJ
16. Offa
17. Flegler

14. McCullough
15. Carrigan
16. Flegler
17. Ofahengaue

I dont think thats going to be our bench for the whole year, and i dont think Joffa and Carrigan will both be bench players either. One or the other will start at lock unless something dramatic changes. We have been running TPJ on an edge for a reason. The only wild card i see is Paix. They may decide to throw him in at the deep end, but my gut feeling is they will see how he goes for Redcliffe first.

Also with Niu, Bird has been running at fullback at times in training so i have a feeling he could even be behind Jack there now as well. I dont really see Seibs running with a player like him at 14, he doesnt offer enough and Seibold hasnt really gone with players like that anyway in the past. Would take a big shift in his mentality for it to happen on a regular basis. Of course, if one of these younger guys makes a massive impression in the trials or we get an injury or somebody plays really badly, things could change.

I still see our side for 2020 as

1 Issako
2 Oates
3 Bird
4 Staggs
5 Boyd
6 Milford
7 Croft
8 Lodge
9 Turpin
10 Haas
11 Glenn
12 TPJ
13 Joffa

14 Macca
15 Flegler
16 Fifita
17 Carrigan

I dont think thats going to be our bench for the whole year, and i dont think Joffa and Carrigan will both be bench players either. One or the other will start at lock unless something dramatic changes. We have been running TPJ on an edge for a reason. The only wild card i see is Paix. They may decide to throw him in at the deep end, but my gut feeling is they will see how he goes for Redcliffe first.

Also with Niu, Bird has been running at fullback at times in training so i have a feeling he could even be behind Jack there now as well. I dont really see Seibs running with a player like him at 14, he doesnt offer enough and Seibold hasnt really gone with players like that anyway in the past. Would take a big shift in his mentality for it to happen on a regular basis. Of course, if one of these younger guys makes a massive impression in the trials or we get an injury or somebody plays really badly, things could change.

I still see our side for 2020 as

1 Issako
2 Oates
3 Bird
4 Staggs
5 Boyd
6 Milford
7 Croft
8 Lodge
9 Turpin
10 Haas
11 Glenn
12 TPJ
13 Joffa

14 Macca
15 Flegler
16 Fifita
17 Carrigan

Something like that would probably be ideal. Macca should wear the 14 but start for 20 minutes than sit out the rest barring injury. I’d even swap Carrigan and Offa as punishment for his latest indiscretion. He and Fifita off the bench for being flogs.

I still think TPJ will be coming off the bench with Offa or Carrigan starting lock.

Seibs started last year with him at lock and it didn't work out well. He was pushed back to the bench coming into the middle rotation and was much better, before eventually starting in second row when injuries came about... and whilst his attack was immense he was found out a lot in defence on the edge

Off the bench he could come on as a prop and wreak havoc through the middle or sub in for Glenn / Fifi on the edge and attack the halves.
Gillett was our lock to start 2019 because Seibold was trying to fit four edge backrowers into the 17 rather than just dropping a clearly underdone Su'a to QCup. TPJ didn't play lock until round 4, and didn't play his second game at lock until round 7.

Gillett was our lock to start 2019 because Seibold was trying to fit four edge backrowers into the 17 rather than just dropping a clearly underdone Su'a to QCup. TPJ didn't play lock until round 4, and didn't play his second game at lock until round 7.
Not sure why I was thinking lock... but it looks like TPJ was starting prop rounds 1-3 then lock in round 4 followed by suspension in rounds 5 & 6. I guess I was thinking of how Seibold considers them middle forwards.

Looking at his positions across the year he was starting lock 8 times, starting prop 3 times before Haas came back and 2nd row 6 times... also suspended in rounds 5, 6, 20, 23, 24 and 25

So in the end he only got benched for 1 round... I'd say based on that there is every chance TPJ will be our starting lock considering he was starting in the middle for 11 out of 18 games and was starting lock before getting moved to second row for 6 of those 18 games.

FWIW I still think he is more suited to coming off the bench for us otherwise our highest impact middle forwards (Lodge, Haas & TPJ) are all starting and there will be periods where 2 (or maybe even all 3) are off the field at the same time

Starting -

11. Fifita - 80 minutes

Bench -

Don't think you've got this quite right. I'd say of all the forwards to play 80 that might be Glenn. .

But who knows at this point

This. Glenn won't be playing lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• pennywisealfie
  • Sproj
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fitzy
  • Jazza
  • Dazza 92
  • Harry Sack
  • Strop
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fozz
  • Brocko
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Midean
  • Xzei
  • Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • LittleDavey
  • Browny
  • The Don
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.