Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather keep him next year. What's the point of moving him on to save 400k on the last year of his contract? May as well keep him and see what he can offer.

Unless we're saving that money to sign a new player NEXT year, I don't see any point in releasing him.

Let’s be honest, we’ve never really had him, not in a contributing anything on the field sense. If he went to Canterbury next year and freed up salary cap for us to boost Fifita’s contract and retain him, plus allow us to probably buy a decent centre who can actually remain fit, he would be doing us a great service.

He is potentially a weapon for us, but have paid him a sh*tload for that potential already and got nothing for it. He’s as likely to do an ACL again in the pre-season than actually play a game. For argument’s sake - he remains injury free, somehow hasn’t lost any speed, agility or playing ability int the effectively 3 years he has had off and he absolutely kills it for Canterbury next year? Well that would be a bummer, but how likely is it, in reality?

It’s far more likely he slowly comes back into the game, does a bit here and there and gradually returns to somewhere near his best over the long term, or evolves his game somewhat. We have him contracted for only one more year and there is no guarantee he wants to stay after that anyway.

If we can offload him to our benefit, we absolutely should.

I'm not sure tbh. Fit he is the best center we have, but thats a very big if in regards to his fitness. I'm not so sure the board would allow another club to take a player from us where we pay a massive portion of his salary.
I guess it comes down to how much cap space we actually need for 2021.. 2022 doesn't matter as we have tons of space.

If they need an extra $200k-$500k to lock down Fifita and Herbie (basically the only players left to sign this year... other than depth like Kennedy, etc.) then they may be happy to let Bird go, because even $500k could be enough to lock those two down.

If they can lock those two down without having to release Bird then it's better to keep him.

Basically if they are desperate for cash then Bird is one of the only decent assets we have to free up cap (along with Milf), but Bird may be willing to head back to Sydney for his own security.

Bird's attitude would be great to have around the group... he could be a very good leader to have around the young group

Imagine if Bird joined someone else next year.

Would end up being the absolute worst signing in Broncos history, with daylight 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and honestly probably 5th-10th. Good lord.

I dunno.....................Kennedy was bad, at least Jack tries and seems like-able..

Last edited:
Let’s be honest, we’ve never really had him, not in a contributing anything on the field sense. If he went to Canterbury next year and freed up salary cap for us to boost Fifita’s contract and retain him, plus allow us to probably buy a decent centre who can actually remain fit, he would be doing us a great service.

He is potentially a weapon for us, but have paid him a sh*tload for that potential already and got nothing for it. He’s as likely to do an ACL again in the pre-season than actually play a game. For argument’s sake - he remains injury free, somehow hasn’t lost any speed, agility or playing ability int the effectively 3 years he has had off and he absolutely kills it for Canterbury next year? Well that would be a bummer, but how likely is it, in reality?

It’s far more likely he slowly comes back into the game, does a bit here and there and gradually returns to somewhere near his best over the long term, or evolves his game somewhat. We have him contracted for only one more year and there is no guarantee he wants to stay after that anyway.

If we can offload him to our benefit, we absolutely should.
What he has done is effectively force Brisbane to run at an almost 1 million dollar salary cap disadvantage for 4 years running now.

The NRL has basically forgotten what Brisbane making full use of their salary cap looks like it's been so long now.

I don't see why we'd have to subsidize, Bulldogs will have cash to spend and are in desperate need of a marquee. it works for all parties if Bird wants to go.

I don't see why we'd have to subsidize, Bulldogs will have cash to spend and are in desperate need of a marquee. it works for all parties if Bird wants to go.
No one in their right mind, even the Bulldogs, would pay full freight for Bird next year, so I can appreciate that we'd likely to have to kick in a portion of his salary.

If we can even just mostly get him off our books for next year then I think it's a no brainer.

No one in their right mind, even the Bulldogs, would pay full freight for Bird next year, so I can appreciate that we'd likely to have to kick in a portion of his salary.

If we can even just mostly get him off our books for next year then I think it's a no brainer.

Freeing up half or even a third of his cash would probably be worth it for only one year.

Freeing up half or even a third of his cash would probably be worth it for only one year.
A third is maybe a bit much, but if we could offload half or two thirds of his contract elsewhere I think that would be a brilliant outcome.

I think two thirds is wishful thinking, he will only just be returning from long term injury, his contract value for next year with the us is way overpriced, I cant see the dogs wanting to pay $650k+ for an injury magnet.

Free up half $450k would be excellent, even freeing up $300-$350k you grab it and run.

I think two thirds is wishful thinking, he will only just be returning from long term injury, his contract value for next year with the us is way overpriced, I cant see the dogs wanting to pay $650k+ for an injury magnet.

Free up half $450k would be excellent, even freeing up $300-$350k you grab it and run.

The dogs paid a million dollars for a broken, disgraced, and out of form Kieran Foran. It is completely within the realm of possibility that they’d give Bird $650k. They’re desperate for a marque back, and he would be great for them. They have to take a risk because if he gets some good form under his belt he could easily ask for 800k at a few clubs. It’s a gamble for them to get him at a cheap price.

To be completely honest, I’d consider re-signing Jack for $650k.

The dogs paid a million dollars for a broken, disgraced, and out of form Kieran Foran. It is completely within the realm of possibility that they’d give Bird $650k. They’re desperate for a marque back, and he would be great for them. They have to take a risk because if he gets some good form under his belt he could easily ask for 800k at a few clubs. It’s a gamble for them to get him at a cheap price.

To be completely honest, I’d consider re-signing Jack for $650k.
That would be definitely at the absolute upper limit of what he's realistically worth.

I think for a club that was fairly desperate like the Bulldogs that wouldn't look like too bad a price. Just depends where you see him fitting into your side because 650k for a Centre with a horrendous injury record is pretty rough, but if you think he can be part of your spine then it's a more attractive proposition.

Last edited:
That would be definitely at the absolute upper limit of what he's realistically worth.

I think for a club that was fairly desperate like the Bulldogs that wouldn't look like too bad a price. Just depends where you see him fitting into your side because 650k for a Centre with a horrendous injury record is pretty rough, but if you think he can be part of your spine then it's a more attractive proposition.
The dogs need to fill positions across the park so he could be fullback, 5/8, second row or lock in their team.

If Bird wants to restart his career the dogs could be a viable option to him.

He'd probably want to go to a club with a better chance to be successful though, but he'd have to take a serious payout to do that, which the Broncos may be unlikely to facilitate with an early exit.

I think Bird's value is about $600k given the injuries and I think the Broncos would take that cap space in a second if a team was willing to pay him that.

$450k and lower isn't really worth it to the broncos given they need to replace Bird (minimum $115k next season) and upgrade Herbie and Fifita

Last edited:
Looks as though the Bulldogs will do a bit of a clean out and have a bit of money to go to market. Surely this is a great time for the Broncos to become very friendly with the Bulldogs and offer some of our ‘talent’ their way..

Looks as though the Bulldogs will do a bit of a clean out and have a bit of money to go to market. Surely this is a great time for the Broncos to become very friendly with the Bulldogs and offer some of our ‘talent’ their way..
Yeh they need a few players with over 300 games experience to steady the ship there. They should also be looking for Sydney based players too, as they settle better and are less prone to injury then.

Paul White should be at the CEO meetings like "I really hope no one tries to take Jack Bird from us, we are doing everything we can to keep him but he has always wanted to be a Bulldog, Corey Oates too. Not to mention Milford, he is just coming into form and loves the doggies... oops, I've said too much".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • barker
  • Browny
  • Johnny92
  • Harry Sack
  • Tim K
  • FACTHUNT
  • Wolfie
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Mustafur
  • Waynesaurus
  • Jedhead
  • rj9
  • MrRobot
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Broncorob
  • mitch222
  • winslow_wong
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Manofoneway
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.