Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does he realise that he's not going to play first grade for the next 7-8 years outside of the occasional game during Origin if he stays at the Roosters?

Lachlan Lam is probably ahead of him as well, he's been quite good in his games this year.

If the season had have continued ordinarily, I could have seen Sam playing around Origin. The Roosters were keen to fast track Walker's development similar to Dearden which is why they were so secretive about their Top 30 although Walker is clearly in it.

It's a blessing for the Roosters the NSW Cup isn't going, because if Walker was killing it there and Flanagan had one or two quiet games the drums would be beating loudly for a replacement.

If the season had have continued ordinarily, I could have seen Sam playing around Origin. The Roosters were keen to fast track Walker's development similar to Dearden which is why they were so secretive about their Top 30 although Walker is clearly in it.

It's a blessing for the Roosters the NSW Cup isn't going, because if Walker was killing it there and Flanagan had one or two quiet games the drums would be beating loudly for a replacement.

I think Keary & Flanno have pretty much nailed down the halves spots over the last 8 weeks. It will take a monumental drop off from Flanagan in the next few years for Walker to surpass him in the pecking order.

A lot can change over the course of a few weeks let alone a few years. I would not be shocked at all if the Roosters find away to white ant Flanagan out of the club next year and Walker is starting half by 2022.

All it takes is a few disappointing performances in big games for the old 'he's a good game manager, not a good playmaker' line to start making it's way into every magazine show.

I think Keary & Flanno have pretty much nailed down the halves spots over the last 8 weeks. It will take a monumental drop off from Flanagan in the next few years for Walker to surpass him in the pecking order.

Covid will get Flanagan this year unchecked but next year if Sam is playing for the Bears and playing well, and physically ready then he will have a fight.

The one half i'd like to see us target is Matt Burton from Penrith. He is an excellent player in the making. We really need to rebuild our spine as a priority now, and as good as Fifita is, it it takes us losing him to do this then so be it. It might take another year of pain and at the end of 2021 we will have Milf, Bird, Boyd, Glenn and Croft all off the books. If we could even manage to shop around the likes of Joffa and TPJ ( who i dont think offer good value for money ) on top of that we will have a decent war chest. If we play things smart ( dont laugh! ) we should be in a strong position cap wise to do some business.

As much as we hear that the Broncos arent in a rebuild, we certainly need to be, and it needs to start with the 1,6,7 and 9.

1. Walsh/Niu
6. Paix
7. Dearden
9. Grant

The future could mostly already be at the club but you need to throw them in now the regular 6/7 are just absolute trash.

They need to sign Grant for 2022 as soon as Nov.1 makes it possible. It doesn’t even take losing Fifita to make it happen and then you look at going him in early somehow next season.

I mean if you think a Paix/Dearden combo is too raw, keep Paix at 14 for now and give Staggs the shot, he could be Munster-like if given the shot.

Ideally, you build your team around this:

Backline: Coates, Staggs, (hopefully Walsh)
Forwards: Haas, Fifita, Carrigan, (hopefully Flegler/Riki)

1. ??
6. Paix/Staggs (for now)
7. Dearden
9. Grant

The building blocks are there but they need framework around it and a father-like figure coach who has presence AND a tough love approach.

Last edited:
I think getting Grant is a pipe dream

I wouldn’t be so sure.

He’s got a taste for being a starter now. Hard to go back to playing second fiddle for years.

I think he could be enticed.

I think getting Grant is a pipe dream
Agree, there is absolutely no noise about that other than wishful thinking on this forum and why would he come here over the Storm or even Tigers at this point.

Storm will play B Smith in the back row if C Smith plays on to get Grant some game time and part of the regular 17.

yep, anyone who sees him play; hes a dead set Smith clone....some on here reckon we DONT chase him...seriously...

Im not saying we would sign him, but it wuld be negligent if we didnt TRY and make a serious ffer to his management...

Melbourne won't let him go. They'll find a way to start him

They may not have a choice in the matter.

Bellamy knows as well as anyone, you can't keep a player that's unhappy. Can disrupt team harmony and affect the playing group.

At the moment, Grant would be happy to go back to Storm. There is loyalty there. But that itch is going to come back.

b.Smith to lock/FR, C.Smith to half, Smith(cubed) to 9. No issue.

Weakening the side just to accommodate Grant. I don't see that lasting long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• kman
  • Foordy
  • Gympie devil
  • MrMoore
  • Jedhead
  • Dash
  • Dee
  • Bucking Beads
  • Harry Sack
  • Manofoneway
  • john1420
  • Sproj
  • Cavalo
  • Browny
  • Skyblues87
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.