Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Ikin could repair burnt bridges as CEO and give Bennett a role at the club as head of culture and standards or something post coaching retirement. It would be huge as far as getting players in the team and happy.
things may have changed but the last I heard, Ikin's wife (Bennett's daughter) was estranged from Wayne due to the dramas from a few years ago.
In any case, Bennett wouldn't come anywhere near the Broncos in a work capacity until a certain few board members were gone.

Prince took the Tigers offer despite Bennett saying he'd get a chance here. Brisbane wanted to keep Prince but he thought he was behind Lockyer and Ikin. Ikin then retired two weeks later when he couldn't train.

Thanks for that, I hadn't heard that before and was just going off what Ben Ikin said during the 2005 Grand Final. But maybe it was a bit of revisionist history from Ikin, trying to suck up to Tigers fans or something.

Moving fwd Smith should be our top target to replace Seibold.

Great to dream that Smith would agree to spend a season or two with us and was able to coerce Bellyache to do the same. God knows we need something out of left field to get us back on track.

Great to dream that Smith would agree to spend a season or two with us and was able to coerce Bellyache to do the same. God knows we need something out of left field to get us back on track.
Would give the club a massive lift

Reactions: Gaz
Any chance Matt Gillett can come out of retirement? Only 31 and he's had 12 months to rest his body.

Not a rumour or anything but i just saw a video with Ardie Savea wearing an old school broncos jersey. In the past 12 months hes stated he would love to have a crack at league and would be interested in going to a high profile club or words to that effect. I wonder if he would be worth taking a punt on and how much $ he would be.

Not a rumour or anything but i just saw a video with Ardie Savea wearing an old school broncos jersey. In the past 12 months hes stated he would love to have a crack at league and would be interested in going to a high profile club or words to that effect. I wonder if he would be worth taking a punt on and how much $ he would be.

Who?

Take this with a pinch of salt, but Slothfield reporting Staggs is after a new agent and wants out of Brisbane. I love Kotoni as a player, he has been one of my favourites since i first saw him playing at Redcliffe, but i dont know why i'm just not bothered if he leaves if he starts chasing a move and we end up with all the bullshit that went on with Fifita. We should make him a good offer, and if he turns it down move on. We have stuffed up enough contracts in recent years. Time to play hardball i think. We have become pushovers when negotiating contracts.

Last edited:
Take this with a pinch of salt, but Slothfield reporting Staggs is after a new agent and wants out of Brisbane. I love Kotoni as a player, he has been one of my favourites since i first saw him playing at Redcliffe, but i dont know why i'm just not bothered if he leaves if he starts chasing a move and we end up with all the bullshit that went on with Fifita. We should make him a good offer, and if he turns it down move on. We have stuffed up enough contracts in recent years. Time to play hardball i think. We have become pushovers when negotiating contracts.
I'm with you on this, but is it just his manager doing his job? I'd be looking to sack him if he was not 'playing' the field. Everyone from Bellyache down does it. But yeh let's start playing hard ball. Make an offer with a timeline if it's signed by the end of teh timekline then it's off the table. Having said that, I'd hate to see him go. Once he sorts out his defence and his cramping he'll be an awesome mainstay on that flank.

Last edited:

Yeah I feel the same. Staggs is a gun, but he's similar to Jimmy Roberts in the sense that he's shocking defensively, extremely inconsistent and seemingly a bit injury prone. I certainly wouldn't be breaking the bank to keep him.

I'm with you on this, but is it just his manager doing his job? I'd be looking to sack him if he was not 'playing' the field. Everyone from Bellyache down does it. But yeh let's start playing hard ball. Make an offer with a timeline if it's signed by the end of teh timekline then it's off the table. Having said that, I'd hate to see him go. Once he sorts out his defence and his cramping he'll be an awesome mainstay on that flank.

If he wants out its a bit different from just exploring his options.

If he wants out its a bit different from just exploring his options.
For sure, but from all indications he loves playing here. Last week's interview and the way he went off even when he defended the line against the sharks suggests he's staying.

All these players seemingly wanting out... there must be some truth to it, even if its just shitty journalists. Wasn't it the same with Canberra and Bateman?
There's no way Seibold is going to be coach next year, whoever comes in is going to have a massive, massive job on their hands.

It would seem unlikely that he wants out as by all reports he absolutely loves the broncos and he also comes off contract when our salary cap eases up again.

The issue is he gets hyped up galore by all and sundry in NSWRL ... “certainty for origin”, but he has huge deficiencies in his game.

I suspect he will be getting desperate teams and reports of something like $600k for 4 years which is both too much and too long.

I think $400k for 2-3 years is ok for him at this stage... he’s a center who can’t defend... 2-3 years isn’t going to kill his career and if he becomes a complete player then he can seek the big upgrades.

I think Manu is on $600k ... is Staggs on that level??? Not even close

For sure, but from all indications he loves playing here. Last week's interview and the way he went off even when he defended the line against the sharks suggests he's staying.

Problem is, we heard that from Fifita as well. Big Dave still puts the effort in judging by his effort the other night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Porthoz
  • bert_lifts
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.