Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
He most likely won't "carve us up" and if he does then good on him. It's more likely for oates, staggs or isaako to carve up his new side. Hopefully a sydney club would be stupid enough to buy out at least around 500k of his contract.

As i have said before ... thank god you are not in charge of recruitment for this club

He most likely won't "carve us up" and if he does then good on him. It's more likely for oates, staggs or isaako to carve up his new side. Hopefully a sydney club would be stupid enough to buy out at least around 500k of his contract.

So we just ignore all the talent and form he has displayed for his whole career because of one season where injury has basically given him no chance?

I'm not actually a massive fan of Jack Bird being here but honestly comments like this are just complete bullshit.

While Bird has been poor overall for what he cost, I think some of you lot are going to have egg on your faces about him when he is fully fit next year. He is a quality player who we havent been able to use in the position we signed him for.

While Bird has been poor overall for what he cost, I think some of you lot are going to have egg on your faces about him when he is fully fit next year. He is a quality player who we havent been able to use in the position we signed him for.

Centre?

So we just ignore all the talent and form he has displayed for his whole career because of one season where injury has basically given him no chance?

I'm not actually a massive fan of Jack Bird being here but honestly comments like this are just complete bullshit.

"All the talent and form he has displayed for his whole career"

He was a solid centre for the sharks when Maloney and Barba were feeding the ball out to him and Holmes. He failed for NSW as a bench utility. He's injury prone and breaking down like someone who's been playing for over a decade.

I've never actually viewed him as any more than a decent centre. Possibly a running 6 only if he has a 7 like Cleary there.

He would suit a club like sharks or eels. Should have stayed in sydney.

With our current squad, juniors + the amount of cap he's taking up, he doesn't logically fit in.

I don't care if he ever plays well for us, the fact is we don't actually even need him to play well for us. We don't need what he brings to a side.

I'd have McGuire, Pangai, Carrigan, Ofahengaue and probably others at lock before I'd put Bird there

I don't care if he ever plays well for us, the fact is we don't actually even need him to play well for us. We don't need what he brings to a side.

I'd have McGuire, Pangai, Carrigan, Ofahengaue and probably others at lock before I'd put Bird there

thank god you're not the coach

So you are still going to bag him if he is performing. We need more supporters like you.

So you are still going to bag him if he is performing. We need more supporters like you.

I'll probably be done talking about the topic by then. Probably after this post.

A bit of hyperbole from the OP there, I assume (hope?).

I think the argument is that Bird is surplus to our needs - and after 17 rounds, certainly in my opinion at least, it’s a pretty credible point.

I was actually all for signing him, because he is an above average player who is ultra competitive. Qualities that are good in any team sport.

That said, and I could very easily be wrong, but if he was brought here to play 13, through whatever circumstances (poor form, injury, whatever it is) he’s well down the pecking order now.

It also didn’t make sense to bring him here as a 13 when we had the QLD and AUS lock and desperately needed a 7.

Anyway, that’s all academic. Unless he up and leaves or we reach a mutually beneficial outcome, he’s here for another 3 years. So I certainly hope he reaches the lofty heights he’s been touted to be capable of.

The problem is though, at what expense will it be? Who are we inevitably going to lose because we have him on our books?

Last edited:
I don't see a position for Bird in the team unless it's left centre, I'm sorry to say. I agree with everyone who is saying that he's surplus to needs in the 6 & 13 positions. Would rather Milford or Nikorima at Five-Eighth, and would rather about 4 different young forwards at Lock over him, even when he's fully fit.

The problem is, he seemingly doesn't want to play centre, and we're paying him considerably more than any unwilling centre should be paid, which leaves two scenarios for the lad. A) He sucks it up, and becomes one of the best centres in the game for us, and stops sulking or B) He asks for a release, we pay 25% of his salary for the next couple of years and chalk it up as a net loss. Go to market and try and find a 7.

and stops sulking

when was he ever sulking ...

I've only ever heard him talk about his preferred position once, followed by a i'll play where i'm needed ...

hell he has talked about it less than Oates

Will Bird be a better at than Staggs at centre by the start of next season? Bird needs to recover, get match fit, and in the offseason outperform a quickly maturing athlete who has looked beyond epic so far this year. Yes it’s early, but I’m aboard the Staggs train.

when was he ever sulking ...

I've only ever heard him talk about his preferred position once, followed by a i'll play where i'm needed ...

hell he has talked about it less than Oates

There was absolutely article(s) about him sulking about not getting enough ball / not wanting to play centre.

There was absolutely article(s) about him sulking about not getting enough ball / not wanting to play centre.

how about you back up that claim he was sulking about playing center by posting these articles ... and let's make it that these articles are NOT from Rothfield, because he still can't beleive that Bird would dare leave the Sharks (especially to come to us)

there is a difference about saying in an interview that you "prefer" a position where you get your hands on the ball and sulking

otherwise what Corey Oates has been doing this season would be classed as sulking

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• unnerv1ng
  • Dash
  • theshed
  • Jedhead
  • Xzei
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.