Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone really?
Yeah, some are. At a casual glance there seems to be a pretty strong correlation between those who say Milford's got more potential as a fullback than a 5/8 and those who have to constantly pump up the new coach while deflecting any criticism onto his predecessor.

Yeah, some are. At a casual glance there seems to be a pretty strong correlation between those who say Milford's got more potential as a fullback than a 5/8 and those who have to constantly pump up the new coach while deflecting any criticism onto his predecessor.
You are gonna reduce this argument to a Seibold\Bennett thing?

Ah I missed that post. Milf can be better than gutho but that’s about his peak at fb. He can be the best 5/8 in the game.

It's really difficult to gauge what Milford's ceiling would be at Fullback, I'm certain he could supply some good attacking numbers from the back in terms of scoring tries & setting up tries, it's purely the other aspects of his game that concern me, the work rate, the hard yards, contesting bombs against taller opponents, drifting in and out of games.

None of these things are nearly as much of an issue at Five-Eighth, he can take 1-2 runs a game at Five-Eighth and still have a positive impact on the team with his ball-playing and kicking, he's also forced to touch the ball every set at Five-Eighth, so drifting becomes less likely throughout the game.

His defense in the line has actually notably improved over the last couple of seasons, he's still a net negative, but he's gone from a turnstile to at least a nuisance for oppositions. I really just don't see the value in moving him to Fullback permanently, I think it's going to make us a worse team long-term, and possibly short-term, depending who would be replacing him at Five-Eighth next year.

If he doesn’t succeed at fullback, at his cost, I say move him on.

But.. like.. why?

He's already succeeded at Five-Eighth, why are we forcing him to succeed at Fullback as well? Like, it's so beyond stupid. I understand the thought process behind Seibold moving him there this year, Boyd was stinking it up, we had nobody else, he wanted to encourage Milford to re-ignite his running game, it all makes sense short-term. However, it doesn't make sense long-term to me. We have a good Five-Eighth who is improving his kicking game every season (I can't help but notice this isn't mentioned very much, he has drastically improved his kicking game in the last 2 years.)

I can't help but think it would be so much easier to go to market and find a new Fullback than it would be to try and re-invent Milford after he's spent 5 seasons training and improving as Half, but hey.. that's just me..

I mentioned his kicking game...

Anyway, like I conceded, with a very good halfback, he may excel at 5/8. We haven’t been given that luxury. Ben Hunt was the only one that gave us a sniff and we all know how that ended.

As I said earlier, keen to see what a full off-season of Milf & Dearden would look like. If Dearden can take a 50-60% share of the kicking game and allow Milford to roam and combine with players on both sides if the field, that's going to be our peak as a team imo.

As I said earlier, keen to see what a full off-season of Milf & Dearden would look like. If Dearden can take a 50-60% share of the kicking game and allow Milford to roam and combine with players on both sides if the field, that's going to be our peak as a team imo.
Absolutely. I get people liking Milf as an attacking fullback, ripping in and carving teams apart when they're on the back foot even though I think he's better as a 5/8. But Milf in the halves with a proper game-controlling partner would let us play a bigger body at fullback. Someone who can physically outdo anything Milf can on hard kick returns and yardage plays. And imagine Milf getting Turpin's service after a rampaging run from Fifita, cutting the defence open and having someone like Bird or any of the top fullbacks running off his hip. Gosh, I need a lie down or a ciggie.

Ah I missed that post. Milf can be better than gutho but that’s about his peak at fb. He can be the best 5/8 in the game.

I could be mistaken but didn’t Milford have some terrible stat at 5/8th where he went a very long time without any line break assist or try assists? Which lead to him purely focusing on his kicking? I don’t think he’d reach the heights of best 5/8th in the game. He’s not even being talked about for origin anymore.

I could be mistaken but didn’t Milford have some terrible stat at 5/8th where he went a very long time without any line break assist or try assists? Which lead to him purely focusing on his kicking? I don’t think he’d reach the heights of best 5/8th in the game. He’s not even being talked about for origin anymore.
He was in camp for game one this year mate

In camp. May as well have been band camp playing the fleshy flute.

What? Are you saying that being 18th or 19th man doesn’t mean you’re being talked about for origin?

Yep. Did he play in any of the three games? How did he go when he actually played Origin. Get with the program ‘champ’.

It’s the age-old case of, “look at the scoreboard”.

Well you either play, which he didnt. Or you’re talked about, which he was when he was in camp. Clearly.

And he’s played about 70 minutes of origin footy when qld were getting pumped but he played fine.

Last edited:
He was in camp for game one this year mate

Ok cool he made camp. But then Ponga got injured, Munster got moved to fullback and mbye gets brought in. Mbye is higher up the pecking order.

I hope we start next year with Darius at left centre and then it’s a choice between Bird or Milford at 5/8. I would go with Milford at 5/8 and Bird at fullback because Milford has the best kicking game. Time will tell I guess.

Dear Flying Spaghetti Monster,
Please make it so Darius Boyd retires at the end of the year and transitions into a mental health role at the club. Please make Fifita, Oates and segyaro re-sign, and allow bird, milf, and our young halves to all have injury free seasons next year. Tah.
Semen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • RodF
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Fitzy
  • Robboi_321
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  • BroncosAlways
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • winslow_wong
  • Spoon
  • Nerd
  • Brocko
  • FACTHUNT
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.