Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mitchell's recent comment about wanting to retire at 30 and earn as much money as possible is what put me off him. If he'd shown signs of being an "effort" player, and looked like busting his arse until the day he hangs up the boots, it'd be a different story. But he gets by purely on talent, and when things don't go his way he has a sook or starts to grub it up. And then... Mundine. Need I say more. There are just way too many red flags. He seems likely to end up more like Dave Taylor than anything else.
There is definitely huge risk with taking him on for all the reasons you mentioned.

I'm honestly in two minds about him. I think potentially there is a Fullback that could be the equal of Tedesco or Turbo hiding inside him, and if a club can take him on and help him unlock that, then for 800k or so they'll have an absolute bargain on their hands.

There is of course just as much risk that he wont apply himself and all the negative aspects of his game and attitude can not only drag him down, but also spread through other parts of your roster.

In our situation with such a young and potentially impressionable squad, I'm probably inclined to say he isn't quite worth the risk, but I do sincerely see why other clubs might be prepared to take on that risk for all the potential rewards they might yield.

I think what we really should work towards is finding a good player trade with the cowboys for Drinkwater.

He’ll be stuck behind Clifford in the halves and Holmes at the back. Might be able to get him by the June deadline if he isn’t getting any game time. Maybe try and swap Isaako or Offa for him....or maybe they’d be interested in the ever reliable Jordan Kahu.

I don’t want to lose Milf. The poor tea has been forced to do it all for a few seasons now and he finally (hopefully) gets some help in the halves. I’d like to give him a chance under the new more reasonable circumstances. Mitchell would be a great addition for the right price but if it had to happen I’d prefer it were at the expense of Bird. Though as some have stated, Bird appears to have a much better attitude which is important during a period of trying to rebuild club culture.

Though all that being said, hopefully sooner than later we have one and a half million dollars free with the departure of Kahu, Boyd, and Macca. Allowing us to buy almost any available player in the league.
It's quite staggering really to think that assuming our spine is Isaako, Milford, Croft and Turpin, we've probably only outlaid a little more than $1.5 million on our whole spine, and more than 2/3rds of that amount is just on Milford alone.

I think what we really should work towards is finding a good player trade with the cowboys for Drinkwater.

He’ll be stuck behind Clifford in the halves and Holmes at the back. Might be able to get him by the June deadline if he isn’t getting any game time. Maybe try and swap Isaako or Offa for him....or maybe they’d be interested in the ever reliable Jordan Kahu.
Or Boyd? We can dream

Last edited:
It's quite staggering really to think that assuming our spine is Isaako, Milford, Croft and Turpin, we've probably only outlaid a little more than $1.5 million on our whole spine, and more than 2/3rds of that amount is just on Milford alone.
Not sure about those numbers... Isaako got an upgraded extension after his 2018 (maybe $350-400k), Turps just got re-signed (maybe $350k) and Croft with a small input from Storm ($350k)... so probably more like $2m-$2.2m, but if it works out it would still represent a bargain.

I think the club might be working towards going after Ponga when Boyd, Macca and Kahu are off the books... would probably need Bird off the books as well given Fifi is due a big upgrade.

Ponga
Milf
Croft
Turps

If Turps can keep it together and provide enough around the ruck, the potential of that 1, 6 & 7 is massive.

Not sure about those numbers... Isaako got an upgraded extension after his 2018 (maybe $350-400k), Turps just got re-signed (maybe $350k) and Croft with a small input from Storm ($350k)... so probably more like $2m-$2.2m, but if it works out it would still represent a bargain.

I think the club might be working towards going after Ponga when Boyd, Macca and Kahu are off the books... would probably need Bird off the books as well given Fifi is due a big upgrade.

Ponga
Milf
Croft
Turps

If Turps can keep it together and provide enough around the ruck, the potential of that 1, 6 & 7 is massive.
Personally I’d prefer RTS but I’d happily take Ponga.

Ponga
Milf
Croft
Turps

I had both Isaako and Turpin on less than that, so that's where I came up with the number I did. I of course may well be wrong, but as you've said, even at 2 million for your whole spine, it's really low cost relative to most sides, and that's forgetting that Milford represents a massive chunk of it.
[automerge]1575241136[/automerge]
Personally I’d prefer RTS but I’d happily take Ponga.
I think we may have some potential leverage that could help us secure Ponga, that we wouldn't have for RTS, so I think it makes Ponga more realistic.

Simply because as a Queenslander with a huge local public appeal, we'd be better able to leverage TPA's etc and there is also the fact he has a bit of history with the club that might still count for something.

Last edited:
1. Ponga
3. Staggs
7. Croft / Dearden
8. Haas
11. Fifita
13. Carrigan

That's who you build your side around.

1. Ponga
3. Staggs
7. Croft / Dearden
8. Haas
11. Fifita
13. Carrigan

That's who you build your side around.

so you would build your side around a bloke who has played no games for us or a kid who’s played 5, but you wouldn’t include our best player over the last 4 years. Maybe temper your expectations around those two just a little bit.

Last edited:
so you would build your side around a bloke who has played no games for us or a kid who’s played 5, but you wouldn’t include our best player over the last 4 years. Maybe temper your expectations around those two just a little bit.
You're talking about Milford?

Personally, I think it's going to come to a head with Milford shortly enough. He's on a pretty massive contract and realistically he's going to be expecting even more for his next deal.

I agree he's been generally pretty good for us since coming here especially taking on roles he probably isn't ideally suited to, but I don't think at this point he's proving great value for money and I'd be reluctant to see us renew him at his current price, let alone a pay rise, but it's almost certainly going to be what he asks for.

I think there is a high likelihood he will attract offers from elsewhere so it's not like we're going to be able to nab a bargain with him. I think if it comes down to a bidding war, which it probably will, we might be better to let him take one of those offers and look to re-invest those funds elsewhere.

With Boyd, McCullough and probably Bird all coming off contract, once you add Milford's salary on top, you've got quite a war chest to play with and would probably have the pick of the absolute top talent available.

This could all change if Milford churns out a huge season alongside Croft in 2020, but to be honest it would need to be pretty exceptional to justify retaining him at his current price, let alone increasing that.

Last edited:
Milford has a lot of work to do if he expects an upgrade on his contract. He would want to be the best player in the game, not just the best player in a shit broncos team.

Milford has a lot of work to do if he expects an upgrade on his contract. He would want to be the best player in the game, not just the best player in a shit broncos team.

Maybe he needs to take a leaf out of Esan Marsters book. Have a poor year, then ask for an upgrade to his contract. When you dont get the upgrade, leave for another club and get more money. Easy!

Personally, I think it's going to come to a head with Milford shortly enough. He's on a pretty massive contract and realistically he's going to be expecting even more for his next deal.

I agree he's been generally pretty good for us since coming here especially taking on roles he probably isn't ideally suited to, but I don't think at this point he's proving great value for money and I'd be reluctant to see us renew him at his current price, let alone a pay rise, but it's almost certainly going to be what he asks for.

I think there is a high likelihood he will attract offers from elsewhere so it's not like we're going to be able to nab a bargain with him. I think if it comes down to a bidding war, which it probably will, we might be better to let him take one of those offers and look to re-invest those funds elsewhere.

With Boyd, McCullough and probably Bird all coming off contract, once you add Milford's salary on top, you've got quite a war chest to play with and would probably have the pick of the absolute top talent available.

This could all change if Milford churns out a huge season alongside Croft in 2020, but to be honest it would need to be pretty exceptional to justify retaining him at his current price, let alone increasing that.

yes the criminally underrated Milford. I wouldn’t imagine he’ll get a pay rise but I’d expect us to maintain his current rate.
I just thought it a bit rich to say we could build a team around Dearden or Croft but not include Milf.

I reckon we should offer him a smaller contract. He doesnt deserve one at the same level he is on. Even if he kills it next year, i still wouldnt offer him what he is currently on.

I reckon we should offer him a smaller contract. He doesnt deserve one at the same level he is on. Even if he kills it next year, i still wouldnt offer him what he is currently on.
I can see a Latrell situation happening where we offer a lower deal (personally I think Milf is around the $800k mark), but Milf's manager says he's worth more so we tell them to check the market.

If a team comes in with his $1m then we let him take it, but if the same happens with Latrell and all the teams start pulling out because the price is too high we can look to get him on a cheaper deal (as long as we don't burn the bridge and dare I say it the situation becomes untenable 😳)

I think we are in a better situation than last time Milf's contract came up... last time I believe we lost Hunt and Ash had just re-signed with the Titans, so Milf was basically our last resort or we had to start all over again with new halves.

This time around we have Brodie on the books for 3 yrs plus Dearden and Paix coming through... pending on how Brodie goes as our controlling halfback and if Seibold sees enough in Dearden or Paix we could be happy to play hard ball with Milf.

I think the most likely scenario is Milf takes up his 2021 option for $1m and the negotiation for his next long term contract trails on throughout 2020.

Milf basically has 24 months to hit a purple patch and find himself a new 4yr deal (here or otherwise) to start getting himself some leverage.... but in the NRL it can only take a month of good form for someone to throw the cheque book at you.

yes the criminally underrated Milford. I wouldn’t imagine he’ll get a pay rise but I’d expect us to maintain his current rate.
I just thought it a bit rich to say we could build a team around Dearden or Croft but not include Milf.

The only half worth a mil at the moment is Keary, and even that's debatable given his concussion history and the fact that he's never played a full season as the dominant half. Moses and Cleary are close, but both have flaws. Munster is a fraud who has been exposed in most games he's played without daddy Smith calling the shots and the others earning a mil are memes at meme clubs.

If the club offers Milford a mil when he's off contract they're dumb. His running game has gone to shit, he's getting fatter and more injury prone by the year, and if Croft/ Dearden can provide quality kicking option then they'll be covering what Milf currently offers us on less than half the salary Milf is on. I like Milf, but you'd take Ponga over him any day of the week.

EDIT: Despite being shit at rep level, DCE is worth a million as well.

Last edited:
I agree, I just can't see him accepting an offer like that so I think it's likely to come to loggerheads at some point and I can definitely see him leaving as part of the fallout.

Won't be fun watching a probably insulted feeling Milford going through contract negotiations with us and rival clubs throughout the season, but I suspect that's what we'll get.

Last edited:
Even if Milford is our best player this year I don't think we should be spending $1m to re-sign him, $750K sounds about right for what he offers. If that's not acceptable for him I'm sure there's a Sydney club that'll talk themselves in to a 5 year, $6m deal like they did with Hunt.

If we're going to be spending $1m on a half it should be someone who's won premierships and is still in their prime (Which rules out everyone except DCE & Keary imo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • thenry
  • Lozza
  • john1420
  • Culhwch
  • Sproj
  • broncos4life
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Aldo
  • theshed
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.