Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's something I'm missing about Drinkwater clearly... I just don't think he's that great, I completely understood Melbourne going for and sticking with Hughes after Drinkwater got injured because IMO Hughes is a much better player.

What am I missing here? Or is it just cause Boyd sucks so bad he looks great comparatively?

Was more pointing out that we could have about $3m+ to go into the market for positions we need and some possible targets that are coming off contract in and around that time... not to mention Ponga and Keary are both queenslanders so there is some incentive of them moving.

If they want ridiculous money we don't have to buy them we just move onto the next target.

Milf - $1m
Bird - $1m
Darius - $600k
Macca - $400k
Kahu - $400k

We will need to throw the bank at Keary and Ponga to get them out of their clubs because you can believe their respective clubs will do the same to keep them. Ponga will extract 1.5m out of the knights for his next contract because they are rubbish without him and Keary has a strong team around him which makes his life a hell of a lot easier to play footy and get well paid in the process.

The TPA and personal sponsorship options are far better for those two guys in Brisbane than they would be at their current clubs. In Ponga's case especially given he is a Queensland Origin star, but Keary being from Ipswich and a dual Premiership winner would also have massive potential. There may well be plenty we can leverage their that would not destroy our salary cap too badly.

That's before you weigh up the comparative cost of living in Brisbane, which again may strengthen our position in regards to offering contracts.

Last edited:
The TPA and personal sponsorship options are far better for those two guys in Brisbane than they would be at their current clubs. In Ponga's case especially given he is a Queensland Origin star, but Keary being from Ipswich and a dual Premiership winner would also have massive potential. There may well be plenty we can leverage their that would not destroy our salary cap too badly.

That's before you weigh up the comparative cost of living in Brisbane, which again may strengthen our position in regards to offering contracts.

I wouldnt want Ponga at the club - comes across as a huge ego waiting to be cut down.

There's something I'm missing about Drinkwater clearly... I just don't think he's that great, I completely understood Melbourne going for and sticking with Hughes after Drinkwater got injured because IMO Hughes is a much better player.

What am I missing here? Or is it just cause Boyd sucks so bad he looks great comparatively?
Drinkwater was a very good half as a junior and was making a real fist of fullback. Was picked to start there before he was injured before round 1. Slater rates him highly too. Only young. Admittedly they had 3 players for two spots.I think he is the best of the 3 but you can't deny Pap's form.

I tend to agree.

Coming through as a halfback, Drinkwater never quite reached the heights expected of him from an early age and was on the verge of becoming a bust. The move to fullback saved his career and he was the best reserve grade player in 2018. He capped the year off with a strong debut in a losing side, but that was the extent of his career.

I thought his trial form was really poor and was pretty disappointed with his efforts before he went down with injury. When he resurfaced at the Cowboys, he was a big improvement on what they had there, but at the same time he wasn't blitzing teams or doing anything overly special. Just the odd flash of pace followed by some really disappointing mistakes.

If I could pick any Cowboys fullback right now, it'd be Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow. An electric talent and with Holmes in-front of him, could be convinced into leaving the club early to pursue more opportunity.

I tend to agree.

Coming through as a halfback, Drinkwater never quite reached the heights expected of him from an early age and was on the verge of becoming a bust. The move to fullback saved his career and he was the best reserve grade player in 2018. He capped the year off with a strong debut in a losing side, but that was the extent of his career.

I thought his trial form was really poor and was pretty disappointed with his efforts before he went down with injury. When he resurfaced at the Cowboys, he was a big improvement on what they had there, but at the same time he wasn't blitzing teams or doing anything overly special. Just the odd flash of pace followed by some really disappointing mistakes.

If I could pick any Cowboys fullback right now, it'd be Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow. An electric talent and with Holmes in-front of him, could be convinced into leaving the club early to pursue more opportunity.

Yup, I'm with you on Drinkwater. I don't rate him at all and think we can do a lot better than him if we are looking to sign a fullback over the next year or two.

I tend to agree.

Yeah fidow has some serious wheels, hopefully he can turn into the player QLD need . Would be nice to have at the Broncos to, but either way he would be a joy to watch if he can keep progressing .

I tend to agree.

i get matt moylan vibes from him

Last edited:
Yeah fidow has some serious wheels, hopefully he can turn into the player QLD need . Would be nice to have at the Broncos to, but either way he would be a joy to watch if he can keep progressing .

I should emphasize that Brisbane have two quality prospects of their own in Niu and Walsh, but if they were looking for players outside of the system, he'd be one target.

Charlie Staines would be another.

I should emphasize that Brisbane have two quality prospects of their own in Niu and Walsh, but if they were looking for players outside of the system, he'd be one target.

Yeah I like the look of walsh , haven't seen to much of Staines.

I think Drinkwater's thing is that he seems very well rounded. A bit above average in all the fullback assets. If he can start to excel in any of those areas though, he'd be a gun. Like a gun runner who is a pretty good ball player too, or a gun ball player who is a pretty decent runner.

Wont get Staines out of NSW

Roosters don't seem to have many problems with TPAs and whatnot, and Ponga playing for the Knights gets both Johns brothers fellating him at every opportunity. He's got a contract on Fox too, reckon he'd keep it when he went from playing for the main fox league guy's former team to the team every prick south of the border hates?

I think Drinkwater's thing is that he seems very well rounded. A bit above average in all the fullback assets. If he can start to excel in any of those areas though, he'd be a gun. Like a gun runner who is a pretty good ball player too, or a gun ball player who is a pretty decent runner.
Drinkwater has spent time with Croft at Melbourne where no doubt he also got to see a fair bit of dick Turpin as well. Hang on we could have a ready made spine courtesy of the Storm. How much pain would Bellamy suffer watching these guys do their stuff. Easts tigers were a much better team when Croft and Drinkwater were playing. Go on seibs make him an offer before he becomes the next billy slater. You know what they can do down at the storm. Or are you still waiting to hear back from your five eighth from Souths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • Fozz
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.