Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has a player option for 21/22. No one would want him. Bit like the Milford situation.
PO are going to be the death of this club. They need to stop.

Newcastle would take him.

Fucking player options...they will definitely be the end of this club. The only people who will use them are the ones out of form and know they won’t get a higher price somewhere else. God damn it

we're not the only club to use player options ... several other clubs use them, including the Storm

I think all the hate for POs is a bit pointless. It's either we gave those players a PO or they were getting the extra year locked in anyway at the time of the signing. You can argue every player who has a PO was signed for too long, but the PO itself really means nothing other than a technicality.

I think all the hate for POs is a bit pointless. It's either we gave those players a PO or they were getting the extra year locked in anyway at the time of the signing. You can argue every player who has a PO was signed for too long, but the PO itself really means nothing other than a technicality.
You’re right, I was definitely being dramatic.

But it still is a technicality that doesn’t favour the club at all. If the players sucks, you are stuck with them regardless. If they excel, they have every right to take a better offer. You are taking away thatpotential security of keeping a player on less than he is worth. How is that good business if it doesn’t benefit the company at all?

But it still is a technicality that doesn’t favour the club at all. If the players sucks, you are stuck with them regardless. If they excel, they have every right to take a better offer. You are taking away thatpotential security of keeping a player on less than he is worth. How is that good business if it doesn’t benefit the company at all?
Unless the PO's are undervaluing the player.

In the case of Oates I think he signed cheaper than expect last year because it was getting closer to November 1.

If that's the case it's likely his PO's are for the same amount... and Oates basically hasn't had a pay rise since his first real contract

It doesn't really make sense to put a PO on a player at their peak like Milf & Bird. They're unlikely to get a higher offer elsewhere so you're just signing them on their max value for longer

Last edited:
Now they Courier Mail are coming out with " The best fullback talent to emerge in Brisbane since club great Darren Lockyer " Think they must have forgotten about Karmichael Hunt.
Ah oh Harmicheal K.....

The headline is “Broncos lock in next Locky”
Damn I hate these, why can't they ever say the next Stuart Kelly, Ben Czislowski or Aaron Gorrell so expectations aren't of the next immortal.

Last edited:
The PO is a negotiation tool used that enables the club to try and negotiate a lower base salary per annum for the player, in effect assisting us to remain under the cap.

The player is more likely sign a player option contract because of the safety net and/or option to negotiate a higher wage sooner if their performance/demand warrants it.

If they sign into a fixed contract, they would be wanting a higher salary as they can technically not leave until the contract ends even if they are playing above their pay grade (i say technically because ryan matterson did this at the tigers, chucked a tantrum and was allowed to leave to go to parra).

Without the PO we may have lost turpin, oates and maybe lodge before this season.

Both methods have their positives and negatives but it seems like the broncos have gone wild with POs with everyone which probably doesnt suit our teams circumstances at this time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • LittleDavey
  • Johnny92
  • Kev_Guz
  • Broncorob
  • winslow_wong
  • Jazza
  • Astro
  • FACTHUNT
  • Allo
  • marw
  • Strop
  • Dash
  • Santa
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Skathen
  • bazza
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Fitzy
  • ivanhungryjak
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.