Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Well, yes. Because spending big on a loose cannon like Kelly could well backfire and the only outcome is we've wasted cap space on a bloke to play Queensland Cup ... or worse.

But who's saying you have to spend big to get him? He is on minimum now (85k) so offering him 150 or 200 will probably get him and considering where things are for the broncos and the salary cap in general that's hardly that big of a gamble IMO

SSS

SSS

NYC Player
Mar 11, 2008
Well, yes. Because spending big on a loose cannon like Kelly could well backfire and the only outcome is we've wasted cap space on a bloke to play Queensland Cup ... or worse.

So don't take a chance coz it may backfire...definitely a boring Griffin style comment.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Look to be honest if we're going to spend $200K on a player who may or may not turn out awesome I'd throw it at Sam Williams. I know he's asking $300K but he's not going to get that. He's going to fall behind Milford, McCrone and Campese at Canberra, so he will be looking for a gig somewhere.

I can see more potential with him than Kelly.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Look to be honest if we're going to spend $200K on a player who may or may not turn out awesome I'd throw it at Sam Williams. I know he's asking $300K but he's not going to get that. He's going to fall behind Milford, McCrone and Campese at Canberra, so he will be looking for a gig somewhere.

Agreed, just give him something like 250k. If he turns out great that's a bargain, if not, he'd be no worse a buy than Wallace.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I really haven't seen much of Williams so I don't know, 300k seems a bit steep for someone who's probably played f all first grade, but hey, because we've decided to be poker faced about every other potential signing, we probably have to take a gamble on someone like him. We've backed ourselves into a corner unless we just wanna sit around and hope another golden generation bears fruit.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Sam Williams is a Wallace type player with better organisational and attacking skills. I'd take him over Wallace every time. 300K isn't that much either IMO, considering how the salary cap just keeps on rising. But we'd still need a half or a fullback with a good running game to go with his passing skills, just to have a good balance. I could see the value in someone like Kelly playing fullback, especially as the position is pretty much the modern day attacking 5/8th at most clubs (which actually makes me question Norman wanting to play in the halves).

SSS

SSS

NYC Player
Mar 11, 2008

That is simply your opinion on a couple of players, Kelly has the runs on the board as far as I'm concerned...although he has now re-signed with the titans...so we can forget about that anyway. But I'm just concerned the broncos recruitment holds the same opinion as you...lets play it safe...lets not sign any new talent coz there's the risk we'll end up with salary cap money being wasted on duds....well seriously look at our squad now? I believe it is time the broncos started taking chances. Low risk always equals low return.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I don't think Kelly has that many runs on the board to be fair. I don't remember him ever standing out at the multitude of clubs he's been at, and he's really only started showing some decent form since at the Titans.

I agree with your sentiment though, we need to start taking some gambles because our recruitment up until this point has forced our hand.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Why is it that everytime a poster dares to think 'hang on, I don't rate that player' suddenly they're considered prudish and their attitude is the bane of the Broncos existence?

To quote my good mate "fair shake of the sauce bottle mate". Not every player off contract is this star signing we want them to be. Kelly has had what? Half a year (if that) of good form? How many clubs was he with prior? Let's sign Taumata while we're at it!

Fans are desperate because there isn't a lot of upside in our current roster and it appears the coach isn't making any big changes. It's understandable, but at the same time there is definitely a grass is greener perception amongst supporters.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
If we could have a real go at trying to sign Milford for 2015, I'd be willing to take another year of mediocrity.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I don't count half a dozen good games as "Runs on the board".

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Why is it that everytime a poster dares to think 'hang on, I don't rate that player' suddenly they're considered prudish and their attitude is the bane of the Broncos existence?

To quote my good mate "fair shake of the sauce bottle mate". Not every player off contract is this star signing we want them to be. Kelly has had what? Half a year (if that) of good form? How many clubs was he with prior? Let's sign Taumata while we're at it!

Fans are desperate because there isn't a lot of upside in our current roster and it appears the coach isn't making any big changes. It's understandable, but at the same time there is definitely a grass is greener perception amongst supporters.

Bingo. I want to see us active in the market, but not stupid - like Parramatta, throwing money at anyone and everyone (and having the ignominy of having them pull the pin on the deal).

Honestly I think some people would get excited if we pinched Fonua from Melbourne...quite possibly the most pathetic player every to play first grade.

SSS

SSS

NYC Player
Mar 11, 2008

Opinions on players will always differ, agreement on who rates who will never match with everyone and it is these differing ideas that allow a forum like this to operate.

And yes the grass is greener coz our lawn is bone dry and crunching to dust under our feet.

I think you'll find broncos fans just want some evidence that our hierarchy are actively trying to improve things...which there are no hints of this being the case.

So a statement, that the broncos shouldn't take any chances, because of a perceived risk that it may fail is a direct opinion of what it seems our lack lustre hierarchy is currently doing, and I'm sure their is no broncos fans are currently happy with where we are as a team/squad.

hayseed

hayseed

QCup Player
Feb 20, 2013
I don't think Kelly has that many runs on the board to be fair. I don't remember him ever standing out at the multitude of clubs he's been at, and he's really only started showing some decent form since at the Titans.

I
agree with your sentiment though, we need to start taking some gambles because our recruitment up until this point has forced our hand.

Moot point now as he has just re-signed with the Titans for a further 2 years. Next rumour please.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
SSS said:
I think you'll find broncos fans just want some evidence that our hierarchy are actively trying to improve things...which there are no hints of this being the case.

Which is completely understandable but members shouldn't cop the brunt of 'fans like you are the reason why we're so terrible' lecture because they don't agree that a form player is the answer.

And there are plenty of hints if you know the right people.

SSS

SSS

NYC Player
Mar 11, 2008
Which is completely understandable but members shouldn't cop the brunt of 'fans like you are the reason why we're so terrible' lecture because they don't agree that a form player is the answer.

And there are plenty of hints if you know the right people.

I didn't say anything of the sort, my statement was not about the players but about the not willing to take a risk in recruitment. I don't even know who I said that to because I was responding to what he/her wrote not who they are. If I've offended the person I truly am sorry, but I still believe to take the opinion of let's not sign X player coz of some risk he may not be a superstar, will mean no signings will ever come, and it's a very boring conservative view that currently mirrors what I believe is a major problem the club, coach & team have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.