Broncos Players in the World Cup

I have not been overly impressed with any of the games I have seen piakura in, particularly given the hype.

It may be critical but he does not have line speed, lacks urgency and walks if the ball goes the other direction.

Like riki and capewell, he was not overly involved in the attack (limited metres) and posed little attacking threat as he did not run dangerous lines.

Definitely not worth the reported 400k we are paying.

Riki, capewell, robati and piakura are all off contract in 2024 and none have really stood out as must keeps.

Not must keeps, but I would prefer to keep Capewell and Robati if possible. Still another year left to see who kicks on.

I have to agree with @NSW stables as every match I've watched Piakura in he has failed to impress, in fact he has been so underwhelming I'm struggling to see where all the hype is coming from.

Has he perhaps eased off a bit to avoid clocking up an extended run of HIAs. I know he did have a few in a row early on. Bet yeh, he's been rank ordinary for mine.

I have not been overly impressed with any of the games I have seen piakura in, particularly given the hype.

It may be critical but he does not have line speed, lacks urgency and walks if the ball goes the other direction.

Like riki and capewell, he was not overly involved in the attack (limited metres) and posed little attacking threat as he did not run dangerous lines.

Definitely not worth the reported 400k we are paying.

Riki, capewell, robati and piakura are all off contract in 2024 and none have really stood out as must keeps.

I thought his last four ISC games were very promising and was looking forward to him playing finals and making up for missing out last year. Jets, Souths and Capras were all good games in attack and Townsville he was strong in defence.

Then he went and missed 11 tackles in a Grand Final- his last two games were not good at all and he didn't learn much against Penrith. I thought it was really selfish football.

His defence in the two biggest games went missing. You have a lot of work to do to turn around 11 missed tackles in a Grand Final.

I know he likes being the wide running off the half back rower but once Gamble and Roberts was out that wasn't going to happen- Ahearn can't do everything. He needed to adapt and come in and help and take some hard runs out of his comfort zone. I thought he did it more in the second half but it wasn't enough.

You can only be Menzies take two if you have forwards doing your work in the middle and a half getting you the ball. It wasn't that sort of game.

I thought in defence he was rushing up and his defence was rushed and had little thought. I said at the time he is a good tackler but he isn't a good defender. He went up past the ball twice and it led to two tries.

Dolphins targeted him and the big Warriors just pulled him apart making him make multiple efforts and make choices and he couldn't do it. He missed a lot of tackles.

I give his season a pass mark but last two games made me sad and his WC form has been a continuation of that finals form.

I didn’t watch it but I see Piakura missed about a quarter of his tackles and made almost no run metres. Obviously they got smashed and there may be reasons for those stats but it doesn’t make great reading.

I didn’t watch it but I see Piakura missed about a quarter of his tackles and made almost no run metres. Obviously they got smashed and there may be reasons for those stats but it doesn’t make great reading.
Brilliant save at 3:13 here (start at 3:00), then fails to stop the next attempt as marker:

Patty Carrigan, our captain in waiting:

“It was tough the situation with the Broncs and missing eight added a bit of fuel to the fire. I wanted to be a part of this Kangaroos group, and I knew that they could do something pretty special and yeah, I just pinch myself that I’m here. Relationships through footy are the things I love and I already feel like I’ve got lots of mates for life here now and if we win a World Cup together, it’d be pretty special.”​
“We’re obviously building something at the Broncs and we ran into a few hurdles at the back end of the year. But I think it’s going to be a blessing in disguise for us. It’s made us put the microscope over a few more things and learn what we’ve got to be better at if we’re going to challenge teams like Penrith and Melbourne. The boys are back at preseason and I’m not missing running around Red Hill at the moment but I think we’re going to be in for a good year - it’s gonna be exciting.”​
“It will be a bit of a different preseason for me… I want to keep working on combinations with guys like Reyno and young Reece Walsh who has come back which will be exciting. As a club we’re conscious that we’re building but also mindful that we want to win football games and want to have success next year. I’m definitely going to be excited to take some of these lessons home from the World Cup and take on a bit more of a load next year and hopefully have a big 2023.”​
“I guess if your agent (in knocking back big money from the Dolphins) is making a bit of noise they’re doing good things for you, I just leave that sort of stuff to him. I committed to the Broncs last year for a further two and I see myself playing in the Broncs jersey long term and winning footy games there. It’s an exciting time for the Broncs and if we can do a couple of things right in the next 12 months, I think we’ll set ourselves up for some bit of longevity and hopefully a bit of success like Penrith are having at the moment.”​

Patty Carrigan, our captain in waiting:

“It was tough the situation with the Broncs and missing eight added a bit of fuel to the fire. I wanted to be a part of this Kangaroos group, and I knew that they could do something pretty special and yeah, I just pinch myself that I’m here. Relationships through footy are the things I love and I already feel like I’ve got lots of mates for life here now and if we win a World Cup together, it’d be pretty special.”​
“We’re obviously building something at the Broncs and we ran into a few hurdles at the back end of the year. But I think it’s going to be a blessing in disguise for us. It’s made us put the microscope over a few more things and learn what we’ve got to be better at if we’re going to challenge teams like Penrith and Melbourne. The boys are back at preseason and I’m not missing running around Red Hill at the moment but I think we’re going to be in for a good year - it’s gonna be exciting.”​
“It will be a bit of a different preseason for me… I want to keep working on combinations with guys like Reyno and young Reece Walsh who has come back which will be exciting. As a club we’re conscious that we’re building but also mindful that we want to win football games and want to have success next year. I’m definitely going to be excited to take some of these lessons home from the World Cup and take on a bit more of a load next year and hopefully have a big 2023.”​
“I guess if your agent (in knocking back big money from the Dolphins) is making a bit of noise they’re doing good things for you, I just leave that sort of stuff to him. I committed to the Broncs last year for a further two and I see myself playing in the Broncs jersey long term and winning footy games there. It’s an exciting time for the Broncs and if we can do a couple of things right in the next 12 months, I think we’ll set ourselves up for some bit of longevity and hopefully a bit of success like Penrith are having at the moment.”​

Is that a bit of a backhand at his manager or a way of saying, yep I'm behind that?

Is that a bit of a backhand at his manager or a way of saying, yep I'm behind that?
Can't tell. Here is the context I left out:

"Carrigan’s agent made waves last month when he approached Brisbane officials looking for a pay rise on his client’s $500,000 per season deal. Carrigan signed an extension with Brisbane last November - rejecting an approach from Wayne Bennett’s Dolphins - to stay at the club until 2024. But since signing that deal the gun forward, who has already captained the club, has become an Origin and Test star."

Can't tell. Here is the context I left out:

"Carrigan’s agent made waves last month when he approached Brisbane officials looking for a pay rise on his client’s $500,000 per season deal. Carrigan signed an extension with Brisbane last November - rejecting an approach from Wayne Bennett’s Dolphins - to stay at the club until 2024. But since signing that deal the gun forward, who has already captained the club, has become an Origin and Test star."

Doesn't really answer that either way though.

Doesn't really answer that either way though.
I think he's saying he always wanted to remain at the club and didn't want to get drawn into being one of those players who gets press for being out in the market upping his pay, but that he can't hold it against his manager, because it's a sign he's doing his job. He's definitely a player whose earned a bonus, if his publicized contract is anything to go by.

Other than Tesi:

Tesi: 4 tries, 2 try assists from 2 games. Average fantasy points: 54.5
Herbie: 3 tries, 2 try assists from 4 games. Average fantasy points: 53.

When did fantasy points become a legit guide to a player's value?

I know you have your issues with Herbie for some reason but he has been an integral part of England's run to the semis and he almost single-handedly won England that game.

Active Now

• Hoof Hearted
  • BroncosAlways
  • Justwin
  • Browny
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncorob
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  • Mustafur
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Astro
  • Allo
  • Brocko
  • Santa
  • Redux
  • Wolfie
  • Harry Sack
  • Fitzy
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.