Broncos positivity thread

Macca will tighten up the middle and work the house down, we probably missed that this year........... but we are going to need find our spark in attack from somewhere else.
Maybe our 6?

I wasn't a fan of Macca, but damn he would have been useful when Turps went down for half the season. The knights went off a cliff when they lost him too. Not even in the same catagory of dead weight as Boyd luckily.
I think 2020 showed that Paix isn't good enough yet to be considered a number 2 hooker in a top 30 squad.

It's also unknown whether Turpin can consistently play 80mins... I think he made 60 odd tackles in an 80min game, but his attack was impacted.

What we do know about Macca is that he can play 80min without being a significant burden (cap space excluded), which is a bonus to our hooker depth and allows Paix to play a full year of qcup.

Last edited:
I think 2020 showed that Paix isn't good enough yet to be considered a number 2 hooker in a top 30 squad.

It's also unknown whether Turpin can consistently play 80mins... I think he made 60 odd tackles in an 80min game, but his attack was impacted.

What we do know about Macca is that he can play 80min without being a significant burden (cap space excluded), which is a bonus to our hooker depth and allows Paix to play a full year of qcup.
That's the way I'd play them. Macca starts for 20 and then either is transitioned to a lock type role or is benched depending on the needs of the game.
It will depend on where our player are fitness wise, and how good our forwards go.
We look to have a lot of minutes in Haas, carrigan and asiata so it will be interesting.
I'm a bit scared about the second row though and how we are going there. We look to be one injury from having rookies on both sides of the ruck and that can't be good.
Its good to work on communication we definitely need another experienced edge forward.

I wasn't a fan of Macca, but damn he would have been useful when Turps went down for half the season. The knights went off a cliff when they lost him too. Not even in the same catagory of dead weight as Boyd luckily.

As someone who has been fairly critical of McCullough over the last couple of years and wanted him gone, I’m actually genuinely intrigued to see his game this year having been at another club for a season because I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he played decent football at Newcastle when he was under the guidance of one Danny Buderus who was probably the second best hooker of the modern era.

It’s also made me wonder if our problems at 9 over many years is a result of neglecting that position and not having the right people at the club to develop that position? I mean it’s one of if not the most important position on the field in modern football yet we’ve had the likes of Sam Thaiday and Josh McGuire play there FFS. Not to mention we got lucky that we plucked an underperforming Jake Turpin out of QCup but did a decent enough job that we had to shoehorn him in as our starting 9. The fact we also had to panic buy James Segeyaro and Issac Luke on minimum wages means the club has still been neglecting this position. I actually wonder now if we have failed Macca by not actually developing his game.

It’s this very reason why I think our halves will be infinitely better next season under Walters tutelage.
You can never be too old to learn new things and am actually interested to see Macca brings anything intricacies of hooker play that he picked up in Newcastle. But I won’t hold my breath...

Last edited:
Macca is going to start, just because pies liked the bowl cut plodder doesn’t mean Kevvie will.

listing to triple Ms nonsense podcast today they are adamant Brandon Smith wants to move to SEQ, we can't miss this opportunity if real, the contract will be for 2022 at earliest and surely we have reserves for then.

One thing I can guarantee is there'll be a lot of ball playing and movement with the footy this year. That'll play to the strengths of our roster for sure.

We just need to find a miracle in defence - which might actually manifest itself purely from improving our attack because if we're playing well and scoring some nice points, that will bring confidence. Confidence brings attitude and attitude brings commitment in D.

I'm very cautious of this year not to be too optimistic in a quick turn around, but things may just click.

listing to triple Ms nonsense podcast today they are adamant Brandon Smith wants to move to SEQ, we can't miss this opportunity if real, the contract will be for 2022 at earliest and surely we have reserves for then.

the speculation at least is that he wants to be closer to his family. brother already in Brisbane and parents moving here from NZ in the new year

What about Lodge for B.Smith? I reckon Melbourne would entertain that.

As much as I think Lodge has more to give he will be under utilized if Carrigan is taking the other starting Prop position as he isn't an Impact forward.

They are talking about 2022 contract though so we have time to make this happen but god help me if the Coke fiend's from the strip get him first.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Jazza
  • Sproj
  • Mister Wright
  • Dash
  • Bucking Beads
  • Battler
  • jd87
  • Lurker
  • winslow_wong
  • Financeguy
  • BroncoFan94
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • bb_gun
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Santa
  • cento
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.