Broncos positivity thread

Well being at the bottom , it's positively all up from here . I'm thinking KW is the most positive thing this year and what he brings , and I agree with Foordy the fact our roster has indeed a lot of promise . I think a good pommie import or two or ex NRL players looking to come back to play here could be a real exciting prospect, if that's on, and I hope it is, on KW's radar also. He has been given the opportunity to rebuild everything from ground up and I believe he has the passion and capacity to do just that. Kevie knows shit from clay and his coaching style and staff may just put the confidence and belief back into some of these young blokes , and we may even see next year be a potential breakout season for a few blokes wanting to stamp their mark , on a rebuilt Broncos outfit. I was really excited after games 1&2 this season and Walters would have recognized that. He now needs to remind them that what whatever happened before stops now , and 2021 is the year of the Bronco . Get to training Kevie and flog the fitness into them . Hard graft is the only way forward , being competitive again and just building on the basics of a considered game plan . I believe we have the players to be excited about ,and the coach to put it into action . That's what I'm being positively excited about , and reading some great sledging from BHQ posters !!

It wasn't just diabolical though, it was literally all time terrible, up there amongst the worst seasons by any club in recent history. The clubs who did have comparatively bad seasons like the Chargers and Magpies were actually booted from the competition in the aftermath of those seasons.

I honestly don't think that's losing perspective here, it's factually what occurred in raw numbers this year and if Walters can turn that around in just 12 months he honestly will have pulled off one of the modern coaching miracles of our time. I'd kill for that to be the case, I hope like hell it will be, but I don't think you can be hard up on people for having very serious reservations and doubts about how likely that is.
The Cambridge dictionary definition of diabolical is "extremely bad or shocking" and according to the Collins, to use this word is to emphasise just how bad things really are.
I think diabolical is an excellent word to describe our season, but the word we choose is really just semantics. Nobody is blind to how bad we were, everybody can see it, it's just that most folks can also look to 2021 with some positivity. And that doesn't mean genuine premiership contender because that just isn't realistic and I doubt anyone is thinking that, it just means there's something to look forward to.
Here's what should be an unarguable list;
  1. The worst coach in our history is gone
  2. The CEO that oversaw this shitshow is on his way out
  3. The coach that oversaw the halves last time Milf played like a $1m half is now our head coach
I think there's a lot more to look forward to next season but they are all matters of opinion, the 3 points above are surely no brainers that everyone can see?

literally no-one ever said 2020 wasn't a bad season, it was by far the worst season ever from a Broncos POV, it was downright unbronco-like.

what i was taking exception to is being told i don't understand rugby league because i don't think like you do. you (and many others around here) seem to not only be the glass is completely empty, but also smashed into a million pieces kind of guys ... whereas i'm more your glass is half full person.

as for my understanding of rugby league (especially NRL era rugby league) there have been countless times when teams have had diabolical seasons only to be challenging for the top 8 (sometimes even the top 4) the following year. (sometimes even without making any major signings). of course, there are also the teams that back up diabolical seasons with diabolical seasons. only time will tell which category we fall into.

you seem to believe, we have zero chance of that we have zero chance of doing anything in 2021. i don't like it but i guess it is your right to think that way.

I on the other hand believe that our roster is nowhere near as bad as it is made out to be. a change in the coaching team, lead by a man that bleeds maroon and gold, a man that will be able to inspire his troops, and instils confidence and the right attitude, a man that knows what a winning Broncos culture looks and feels like. (and hopefully finds a way to cut down those damn injuries).

we will be competitive in 2021 ... just watch
I agree that our team is not as bad as the spoon indicated and has been made out. We were a laughingstock because many thought the team we have should be a contender. The coaching was disgusting and the culture at the club was obviously horrendous.

We have talent around the park. Our Forward pack can be a quality one if given the right instructions and training. Our spine can be very good with a tweek or two and some actual game plans.

So much of last year came down to terrible attitudes and frustration. The coach was offside and there was a fracture between different groups. Boyds mutinous influence and Siebs arrogance made that impossible to fix.

My number one positive is that Kev is a guy that can bring people together. Because he is a heart on his sleeve type bloke. If you have a coach like that it can fill you with a passion for the club, team mates and the game. Passion leads to enjoyment, enjoyment leads to confidence, confidence leads to creativity, creativity leads to playing good footy and winning games.

So my hope in short is Kev can squeeze the best out of the lads and bring a new mindset to the club. If he does that we will improve, by how much is to be found out.

What odds for the Broncs to finish in the 8 and higher than the Roosters?

If they can find some character in defense and stop shooting themselves in the foot as a club then a return to the top 8 is likely, after all Pies had a brief stopover there enroute to that crash into the side of a mountain.

All of the moves from KW look promising so far. Not like he has been dealt pocket aces...but feels like he is playing a poor hand well and luck will balance out.

All of the moves from KW look promising so far. Not like he has been dealt pocket aces...but feels like he is playing a poor hand well and luck will balance out.
Hes been given 2 7 off and is expected to make a flush. Needs to employ gto to balance his opponents ranges...ahahaha

3.5 to make the 8
No market yet to miss the 8

Last edited:
So.............. we've just had the worst season ever in club history, week in week out played like busted assholes who look like they have never played the game before, we have our best talent leaving left, right and centre, no notable signings to date so next year is looking like we might have to field a ragtag group of leftovers, has beens, wanabe's, and overpaid pretenders in club history................. yet here we are................... the broadcasters darlings once again carrying the NRL on our back in prime time TV in 2021.

I think it might be a positive for the club..................... or is it just a huge spotlight on how shit the rest of the competition is going. 🤔

3.5 to make the 8
No market yet to miss the 8
That seems tight. Random placings should be 2 to 1 minus the spread so not a lot of fat built in for a team that got lapped this season. I would think that bet is not great value hence my Broncs + Roosters combo.

I think the Roosters could easily finish lower half of top 8 this season and Broncs will be top 8.

I have never seen a playing group dismantled like this one over the previous two years, if Kevvie can add some starch and the culture returns then I just think there is great value in this team :)

Coach - KW could be amazing, he is certainly saying the right things and even if he has the same record as Seibs he's infinitely more likeable. So i think we win here.

Fullback - Darius is gone. Personally i think his poor attitude really affected the team. You may disagree, but im so glad he's gone. Darius is a terrible, terrible name.

Wings - Xavier Coates just had a very promising origin stint, Herbie looks the goods and will only improve with another year under his belt, Jamayne had the death of his father to contend with in 2020 - i can see him having a much better year... we also have Mead again, which is good for culture.

Centres - not feeling too good about this position.... i suppose Bird did nothing, hes gone so hopefully we have some money to spend. Shame about Staggs' Knee

Halves - Dearden is super calm under pressure and only going to get better... last time Kevvie coached Milf he was an actual million dollar player.

Hooker - Turps is decent, Macca could tie up the middle defensively if used effectively. Neither are world beaters, but if they both play to potential we'll be fine.

Second Row - Oates to make the transition and prove everyone wrong. Then take Fifitas spot in origin. Alex Glenn to have a great year.... alright a bit too optimistic here... not sure how I feel about our second row. We have Oates, Glenn and Riki. Just feels a bit shit, but hopefully they arent shit.

Props and Lock - Haas, Lodge, Carrigan, TPJ, Flegler.... this could be a really, really good pack. Also... OFFA is GONE (is this a lock in?) ! I am super pleased about this, he hasnt won a game for Bronx in 18 months, im certain he is our bad luck charm.

Overall, if our team plays to potential we can be weapons again. Just need to be unified!

That seems tight. Random placings should be 2 to 1 minus the spread so not a lot of fat built in for a team that got lapped this season. I would think that bet is not great value hence my Broncs + Roosters combo.

I think the Roosters could easily finish lower half of top 8 this season and Broncs will be top 8.

I have never seen a playing group dismantled like this one over the previous two years, if Kevvie can add some starch and the culture returns then I just think there is great value in this team :)
Same ill have a few bets going with us making the 8 and top 4 with a few of the more fancied sides dropping out.
Also going to have 50 on us to win it all before smith decides his future just incase he ends up at the Broncos

Last edited:
Coach - KW could be amazing, he is certainly saying the right things and even if he has the same record as Seibs he's infinitely more likeable. So i think we win here.

Fullback - Darius is gone. Personally i think his poor attitude really affected the team. You may disagree, but im so glad he's gone. Darius is a terrible, terrible name.

Wings - Xavier Coates just had a very promising origin stint, Herbie looks the goods and will only improve with another year under his belt, Jamayne had the death of his father to contend with in 2020 - i can see him having a much better year... we also have Mead again, which is good for culture.

Centres - not feeling too good about this position.... i suppose Bird did nothing, hes gone so hopefully we have some money to spend. Shame about Staggs' Knee

Halves - Dearden is super calm under pressure and only going to get better... last time Kevvie coached Milf he was an actual million dollar player.

Hooker - Turps is decent, Macca could tie up the middle defensively if used effectively. Neither are world beaters, but if they both play to potential we'll be fine.

Second Row - Oates to make the transition and prove everyone wrong. Then take Fifitas spot in origin. Alex Glenn to have a great year.... alright a bit too optimistic here... not sure how I feel about our second row. We have Oates, Glenn and Riki. Just feels a bit shit, but hopefully they arent shit.

Props and Lock - Haas, Lodge, Carrigan, TPJ, Flegler.... this could be a really, really good pack. Also... OFFA is GONE (is this a lock in?) ! I am super pleased about this, he hasnt won a game for Bronx in 18 months, im certain he is our bad luck charm.

Overall, if our team plays to potential we can be weapons again. Just need to be unified!
I am optimistic our outside backs will all be better post Seibs. It can’t be coincidence that all of the 11(?) different players that played centre or wing for us during last season were all disgusting at defending. It has to be structural for that many players to be that fucking terrible. So I’m very optimistic that with a half competent coaching team we should see a vast improvement to our outside backs.

Though that being said we are potentially looking at a backline along the lines of

1. Isaako
2. Mead
3 Farnworth
4. Copley
5. Coates

to start the season, but this is the positive thread so I won’t be commenting on that

I also think that TPJ will play second row and if Asiata comes we may see Carrigan at prop. Which would give us a far more mobile forward pack to last year and hopefully we can survive the 6 again rule better.

yeehaw

Active Now

• Dash
  • theshed
  • Jedhead
  • Xzei
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.